Hi-Fi Corner

AceonePosted: 26 November 2018Last Updated: 28 November 2018
Hi can anyone tell me is the 272 pre amp as good as the 282 or the 202 thanks acetone
SalvoPosted: 27 November 2018Last Updated: 28 November 2018
Hi all, (Hope I will be allowed to post this) sometimes ago I did write to the group wishing I had a chance to connect a vintage pair of Technics SB-7000 to my 500 kit. Well after months of searching I found a pair of the speakers in terrible terrible conditions but wit all the potential to make them good again. so I embarked on a restoration job that has taken me a month to finish. Of the original active components only the drivers and part of the crossover remain, the rest has been...
cuciu76Posted: 23 November 2018Last Updated: 28 November 2018
hi, im curious to know if someone had the opportunity to compare the old and the new version of the streamer. Does it worth the upgrade? tks
PPTPosted: 26 November 2018Last Updated: 28 November 2018
Hi all, I have a HDX and a ND5XS both connected to a Naim DAC which is then connected to a Supernait 2. i’ve now the opportunity to buy a second hand XPS to upgrade the DAC. Will the XPS produce a significant upgrade in sound details and quality of both HDX an ND5XS sources? Thanks for any comment PPT
jmePosted: 06 November 2018Last Updated: 28 November 2018
Hi all, I hope you might be able to offer some, let’s say, guidance. I’ll try to be thorough so as not to be too ambiguous in requirements. I have got myself a little confused, unfortunately this is mostly self inflicted by budget requirements and buying second hand. Short Story is that is means it’s tricky to demo anything. I have; Rega Planar 3 (current model + neo psu) & TV into UQ2 to Focal Aria 906. This is in 4x5m living room. Thick carpet and lots of furniture and suspended wooden...
DiscoVolantePosted: 23 November 2018Last Updated: 27 November 2018
So having moved from a Naim Atom with Spendor A6Rs, upgrading to Spendor D7s and then buying a Nova I now find myself in our new house but with a much smaller room. I'm finding the D7s a bit dominating both visually and from the closer listening position (room is now 4m x 5m. I've considered going back to A6Rs but haven't heard them with the Nova (they were great with Atom) so am now thinking stand mount as an option. As always I know speaker choice is very personal but would appreciate...
justin65Posted: 26 November 2018Last Updated: 27 November 2018
Hello, I just wanted to add an update from me using a flatcap xs on my naim xs amplifier. My previous post on using this flatcap xs on my Naim CD5 Xs Cd player brought incredible revelations to the sound of my system. I am loving every moment of it and will continue to do so. I thought I would try adding it to my naim nait xs amplifier also. I firstly tried it seperately and then together with the CD player. All I can say is I was dissapointed. It seemed the Music was much more closed in and...
MatteoPosted: 27 November 2018Last Updated: 27 November 2018
In the past I found that the current (black) T-Kable (€ 390), supplied as standard with the EKOS SE arm and considered an upgrade by Linn for the other arms, was really a downgrade, compared to the old (grey) T-Kable (€ 300, supplied as standard with the last Akito arms). Considering that my LP12 sits on a wall shelf, in the next few months I would also try to downgrade from Trampolin 2 to the last solid base. According to the Linn website: " The Solid Base provides a fixed, rigid platform...
tonyiPosted: 21 October 2018Last Updated: 27 November 2018
For SBL and perhaps Allae owners who have removed the Bass/mid speaker unit from their box and found the interior foam disintegrated, the correct spec is now available at Puresound of Tavistock near Plymouth. There is a drawing needed for the SBL unit which can be found under the post, headed "ALLAES", which has been put there by Richard Dane, otherwise I have one and Guy at Puresound has one.
PopeyePosted: 24 November 2018Last Updated: 26 November 2018
Hi all I auditioned a Hicap Dr on a Supernait2 recently and I loved what it did and it enhanced the music obviously and clearly from the outset. What I want to know is what it actually does an what it is actually doing. I thought it just powered the preamp section but I think I may be wrong? many thanks
JimDogPosted: 21 October 2018Last Updated: 26 November 2018
I have bought L'Art du Son record cleaning fluid and a goat's hair brush, Vinyl Vac and microfibre cloths to clean my records - am making a spinner from an old lazy susan. Should I add surfactant (e.g. Ilford) to L'Art du Son , or will L'Art du Son on its own wet records ok? I've seen a chemist say online that any surfactant will leave a chemical deposit on the record. And should I rinse afterwards? Some people just vacuum it off, many others seem to rinse again with water. And what type of...
vintageaxemanPosted: 25 November 2018Last Updated: 26 November 2018
I have read about how two 555PS power supplies are better than one with a CD555. I HAVE a CD555 and one 555PS. I was wondering whether it is possible to use an XPS2 plus a 555PS together to power the two separate sides (digital and analogue) of the CD555. Anyone please? Thanks, folk.
PopeyePosted: 26 November 2018Last Updated: 26 November 2018
hi guys havent heard this combo and may not be Evan possible but I was thinking about adding a Hicap DR to my Supernait2 that I use with a bare NDX. As an alternative, Reading on the Hugo TT2 the device is a preamp also. Am I right in thinking that I could use this in between the NDX and Supernait2. NDX as a renderer and the Hugo TT2 as DAC and pre amp and the Supernait2 as a amp only. On paper I would think this would be a good upgrade?
corsusePosted: 25 November 2018Last Updated: 26 November 2018
Hi, all, currently I have the following system - Chromecast/Sony CDP-X5000 player -> Rega Dac R -> Chord Anthem Reference -> Naim Nait 5si -> Chord Epic Twin -> Zu Audio Omen. I'm happy with my system but I miss some punch and bass strength in hip-hop. Also the tweeters of the speakers are too low for my listening position and often it appears the vocals come from the ground and I want them to be airy, coming from a higher place and going towards the ceiling. That's why I'm...
Bernard KureraPosted: 21 November 2018Last Updated: 26 November 2018
Hi all, What would be recommended CD player for NAP 110 / NAC 32.5. Many thanks, Bernard
aviPosted: 25 November 2018Last Updated: 26 November 2018
I have olive 1998 vintage system, including- nac 52-super cap-nap250. The source is cdx2/2+xps2. The whole system is wired by NAIM(p.l/h.l). My options are- 1.Re-capping all boxes 2.To purchase a s.h nap300(not d.r)Instead the 250,and when the opportunity comes,to upgrade s.h 552(not d.r). My question is- Does the s.h equipment upgraded,will lead to a significant difference in the end result? Thank's
RMPosted: 15 August 2018Last Updated: 26 November 2018
Dear Forum members I am currently confused what route I should take next with my system - currently have an NDS/555DR feeding a 282/hicap dr / 250.2 with Ovator S-400 speakers. Would it be best to upgrade the pre-amp first or get the best source (nd555)? A part of me Wonders if ND555 is that much better than nds for it to be the next step ahead of say moving to 552 or even a 252/ supercap / NAP 300 Dr as conscious of balance in the system. Room size is modest 16 sq meters. Thank you rohit
crackiePosted: 25 November 2018Last Updated: 26 November 2018
I have an observation that I thought I would share. Three weeks ago I shifted my 252 to the top of my Fraim stack & also put my 300 head unit under that. So now my stack is 252/300 head unit/n-DAC/HDX/Supercap/555PS/300PS. I figured what the heck I’ll give it a go - as I looked back at 100’s of old posts and system pics. that seemed to have at least 90% of members with the pre-amp always on the top level (big hint there I guess in hindsight) because I never really did give correct...
Iver van de ZandPosted: 25 November 2018Last Updated: 25 November 2018
Unfortunately there are not too many Hifi shows in Belgium, but every year in november, there is the one from New Music Hifi. The show is in a hotel and they use hotel-rooms to show the various brands and set-ups. Not ideal, but some of the brands have larger rooms and thus can deliver decent demonstrations. Naim was represented by BeNeLux distributor Latham. Apart from various Uniti set-up (an Atom really shining with Neat), they had a very nice set-up with an NDX-2/XPSdr combination paired...
LokiPosted: 20 November 2018Last Updated: 25 November 2018
As avid followers of the Asgaard blog will know I have used a Russ Andrews Torlyte shelf under the LP12 for many years now, most recently atop an Audiotech table with a sandwich filling of Naim glass. Since the Kore and DR upgrades this summer all has been more than well, yet as things have settled down the screechiness previously attributed to a new XX2 running in has continued unabated. Last night and this evening listening to Gun Gallus on original vinyl I decided something was amiss. It...
PopeyePosted: 25 November 2018Last Updated: 25 November 2018
Hi all I have my system on its own 10mm supply with its own MCB type c breaker on its own consumer unit. Currntly the hifi consumer unit is earthed off of the earth sleeve on the main incoming supply (TNS). Does anyone know if there is likely to be an advantage if I drove in a earth rod for the system so it doesn’t share the same earth as the house also? ????????????
andreaPosted: 25 November 2018Last Updated: 25 November 2018
Hallo everyone! Today I’m looking for advice on WIFI adapter for existing WIFI system. I use 4 Naim systems, so a streamer is out of question.... I shall need 4. Forget it. Instead, I’ve learned there are devices able to catch the streaming from, say, an iPhone, and convey it to an existing system, via preamp. Any experience, on that
droomPosted: 24 November 2018Last Updated: 25 November 2018
Just changed from my magnificent Allaes to these little wonders. The Allaes just didn't suit the new room where they have to fire across the room instead of down and were about 5" from solid wall. I just couldn't tame the bass boom. As good as the Allaes were, the new Neats are better in my circumstances. There's a lack of directness and absolute clarity compared to the Naims but the bass boom has gone and the little Neats still boogie. I'm sure that the Neats reputation as the new SBL's is...
Davie RPosted: 19 November 2018Last Updated: 24 November 2018
hi every one. i have a question. would a denson demagic disc help with burn in time of a system i have just had my ndac and nap200 serviced by naim and have purchased a new nac 282 fed by a hicap olive .i have no idea how long it takes to burn then all in. my source is a cd5sx and a rega p9 tt
mpradfordPosted: 24 November 2018Last Updated: 24 November 2018
Hello I'm sure I've done something odd or someone's pulled a cable but my uniti is producing no sound at all . It was working fine last week, the software looks like it's all up to date but nothing is coming out of the speakers. Can anyone shed any light? Many thanks Martin