Music Room

Ardbeg10yPosted: 13 September 2017Last Updated: 14 September 2017
I have been traveling for about 50% of my time over the last 3.5 years on an assignment where I'm finishing currently. Looking forward to a period of less work, more study, and hopefully more time at home. What always was great for me, was arriving home. I arrived back home normally late in the evening, close to midnight - everyone asleep. Work was done, sat down and listened to Part 1 of Bruckners 7th Symphony. I've tried to analyze why especially this work has become of great importance to...
Kevin-WPosted: 06 September 2017Last Updated: 06 September 2017
After Jaki's death in January, the sad news today that Holger has died, aged 79. Great bassist, superb engineer, pioneer of sampling and a (hugely influential) wizard on the short wave radio) That means that only one of the four core Can musicians, Irmin, is still alive (Malcolm and Damo are still with us of course). I do hope that 2017 isn't going to be another 2016. Here's Holger having fun with Can in '77 (he's on the radio, electronics and the telephone)...
Monkey JimPosted: 03 September 2017Last Updated: 05 September 2017
I was shocked to see the news today. He leaves a great body of work which Donald Fahrenheit has promised to continue with the Steely Dan band. Thank you for the music. Steely Dan changed my perspective on music in the 1970s and I still found so much in every listen.
Othon LeonPosted: 04 September 2017Last Updated: 04 September 2017
I am listening to the 2016 re-release of Pink Floyds, vinyl edition of Dark Side of the Moon. Even though I am almost certain the production source is digital, my opinion is that they did a fantastic job (no noise in the background as in the original album). I am tired of buying what on the cover seems a beautiful, brand new re-release, just to find out that the quality of the recording is "crappy". I have spent hours and hours on the Internet looking for "the right stuff" and yes I have...
Massimo BertolaPosted: 03 September 2017Last Updated: 03 September 2017
In a way, Gioachino Rossini: wrote his last opera at 37 and died at 70. The Petite messe solennelle and one Stabat Mater in 33 years do not justify his former genius. Much better are the four Sonata a quattro , in fact he wrote them twice, for strings and for winds. J.S. Bach. A monstrous gift for music understanding, he anticipated the evolution of tonal harmony much more than Schoenberg did with the atonal one, yet he's remembered as the genius of counterpoint. Although he wrote his best...
Richard MorrisPosted: 27 August 2017Last Updated: 03 September 2017
This is an interesting blog about jazz on vinyl, different pressings, labels etc. https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com
hungryhalibutPosted: 15 May 2017Last Updated: 28 August 2017
Since my near death experience last August, I've pondered a few times on the music I want to be played at my funeral. I chose the music for my Dad's but I'd rather choose my own. Perhaps nobody has thought of this, but if so, it would be interesting to read your choices. Billy Bragg's recording of Blake's Jerusalem Joy Division's Atmosphere The Smiths' There Is A Light That Never Goes Out A recording of The Folks Who Live on The Hill Something by Bach, possibly one of the violin sonatas The...
TOBYJUGPosted: 12 August 2017Last Updated: 28 August 2017
Im no expert, and can't hear the differences between the many sections of a full blown Orchestra. Apart from strings, winds and drums etc. Although I can hear differences between recordings that have used a Telecaster, Rickenbaker, Gibson .. And can go one to sometimes hear the 808, 303 and DX7 differences. Have got a few recordings with more unusual instruments that are more native to specific parts of the world. I like the sound of the Saz. Like the drone sound of a Sitar mixed with the...
AndyP19Posted: 23 August 2017Last Updated: 27 August 2017
I found this list which I think is one the most comprehensive and well thought out selections I've seen in a long while. http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-200-best-albums-of-the-1960s/ You might need to mute to get rid of the commentary and I don't really think it matters about the order as all these albums are absolute classics. I have 162 out of the 200.
mudwolfPosted: 27 August 2017Last Updated: 27 August 2017
Run don't walk to Amoeba, the block it is on is going to be redeveloped but they are looking for another suitable site. Still this great shop/warehouse has the best atmosphere. It's at least $100+ for me to visit and that's just the s/h items not the new vinyl. A number of articles in Sunday's LA Times on the influence of the Sunset strip and boulevard.
M37Posted: 25 August 2017Last Updated: 26 August 2017
Your favorite sad songs? (Yes, most of the time it's a wonderful world .. but sometimes it's also ... kind of blue?)
GigantorPosted: 13 April 2017Last Updated: 25 August 2017
Dear forum members. It is Good Friday today and the local AM radio station is playing music for the occasion. During the radio program they are recommending/playing Bach for the occasion. With no experience in classical music I am wondering if forum members could recommend a short list of must have CD's for Bach. I do have Christian beliefs. So any music in this vein would be of interest. Though I am wishing to appreciate any Bach must haves. I hope this makes sense. I have found this list...
SmithfirePosted: 25 August 2017Last Updated: 25 August 2017
Hi peeps Just received an LP that I puchased from a seller in France only to find a small blister on the playing surface. Only raised by a small amount but deffo blistered. Anyone else come across this before?....its a new unopened 180g pressing. Cheers Clive
NaimAudioPosted: 17 July 2017Last Updated: 25 August 2017
Suffolk based Naim dealer, Signals are excited to announce that Audio Show East is back for 2017 and will be held at Trinity Park, Ipswich on Friday 3rd and Saturday 4th November . Opening times: 11:00 – 18:00 - Friday 3rd 10:30 – 17:30 - Saturday 4th Refreshments and snacks available at the licensed bar. Join us over the weekend. Entry is free, register your interest in advance below: Register Here
thebigfredcPosted: 24 August 2017Last Updated: 24 August 2017
I received this on vinyl as a supplementry Father's Day present from my grown up children. It was second-hand and I imagine hailed from the time of release in 1972. I also already have a lot of the tracks on various JC cds that I already own so all in all was not expecting too much from it although I appreciate their thinking of me. Well...knock me down with a feather....its alive, atmospheric and really enjoyable.
Bert SchurinkPosted: 23 August 2017Last Updated: 24 August 2017
Guitarist John Abercrombie, a supremely eloquent and lyrical player whose career over the last four decades included seminal jazz fusion music and eminently refined ECM albums alike, died Tuesday of heart failure. He was 72. Abercrombie had had health problems in recent years, including a stroke earlier this year. Born in Port Chester in Westchester County, New York in 1944, Abercrombie did not begin playing guitar until he was 14. A few years later, in 1962, he attended the Berklee College...
TOBYJUGPosted: 30 June 2017Last Updated: 20 August 2017
http://louderthanwar.com/youth-killing-joke/#.WVYevaEMtok.twitterhttp://louderthanwar.com/youth-killing-joke/#.WVYevaEMtok.twitter Interesting little article. Any other recommendations ? on a recent Trans Atlantic flight, I enjoyed listening to Aphex Twin. Selected Ambient Works 85-92 on headphones from the on-flight entertainment
RomjockPosted: 11 August 2017Last Updated: 18 August 2017
I know there are some Forum fans out there. I have their first two albums on CD (Linn Recordings) and have carried them all over the world from UK to UAE via Pakistan, Romania and NZ, playing them often. Having tried to get a Hi Res download of both from Linn, and to be told that they no longer have access to them, I now have a concern about how I might replace them if things turn to custard through fire, theft etc. I would include them on my insurance policy but have no idea of their value...
DrMarkPosted: 08 August 2017Last Updated: 16 August 2017
When I was learning to strum a guitar as a kid, his tunes (Wichita Lineman, Galveston, Try A Little Kindness) were staples of my fake book learning. RIP Glen. 81 years old. Glad I got this a few months ago - will play tonight: And Glen himself was no slouch picking a git-fiddle...
notnaim manPosted: 25 July 2017Last Updated: 12 August 2017
I've started composing this more than once, in which time there have been posts that might make me seem foolish, but here goes. I am not trying to be provocative. I have been lurking for ages, then decided to join the forum despite not owning any Naim equipment. When I started, there was little that I read about folk music, I was prompted to write by Richard Morris posting a Martin Simpson album in “What Are You Listening To......”. Generalising , not only in this forum, but others, magazine...
Bob the BuilderPosted: 12 August 2017Last Updated: 12 August 2017
New release by Paul Weller & The Stone Foundation available via download or stream at Tidal etc. The 3rd vocal mix is my record of the year so far.
ConsciousmessPosted: 01 August 2017Last Updated: 08 August 2017
You may have 1000+ albums or 2Tb music, but do you often return to the same albums or tracks?
FangfossFlyerPosted: 06 August 2017Last Updated: 07 August 2017
Neil Young has announced that an "online archive" -- with nearly all of his recordings -- will be "opening soon." "Every single, recorded track or album I have produced is represented," Neil says in a old school typewriter letter posted on his website. Neil types: "View all albums currently released and see albums still unreleased and in production just by using the controls to zoom through the years. Unreleased album art is simply penciled in so you can where unreleased albums will appear...
SmithfirePosted: 03 August 2017Last Updated: 06 August 2017
Where do you guys buy your vinyl? Used and new. Many thanks Clive
JamieWednesdayPosted: 03 August 2017Last Updated: 03 August 2017
Got round to trying to download digital version of ITTLWRW from the code that came with Vinyl but Malwarebytes is blocking site. Anyone had an issue?