Music Room

notnaim manPosted: 22 October 2017Last Updated: 27 October 2017
Last night, dearly beloved watched Strictly, one of the songs used was Tracy Chapman's Baby Can I Hold You. I hated it, to me there is only one version and it cannot be bettered. For other reasons, I cringe when Robbie Williams Angels is used by buskers, for auditions or similar. Does anyone have a song that only the original suits?
ConsciousmessPosted: 25 October 2017Last Updated: 26 October 2017
Which artists do you recommend who care about the fidelity of their sound? I know Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits always has, as does Steven Wilson. Any others? In other words, you can trust the mastering and final product is audiophile. (Not just an artist releasing old stuff in high resolution just to get money.) Cheers
Bert SchurinkPosted: 25 October 2017Last Updated: 26 October 2017
Another big name is gone....., another bad year for music
fathings catPosted: 21 October 2017Last Updated: 23 October 2017
Not usually a fan of music blu ray’s, however, this one is particularly good. Gilmour’s guitar playing is superb and the venues he played in on this tour are very special. Highly recommend it. regards Gary
fathings catPosted: 23 October 2017Last Updated: 23 October 2017
Anyone given this release ago? It’s very nicely done and provides some delightful takes on same classic songs - google take on me unplugged to get a sense of the album. Thanks Gary
Richard MorrisPosted: 18 October 2017Last Updated: 21 October 2017
I've listened to jazz for 50 years but have never really understood Sun Ra. This post on Bandcamp is a helpful introduction and has made me have another listen.
mudwolfPosted: 09 October 2017Last Updated: 18 October 2017
Saw him on Austin City Limits on TV Saturday night. I'd heard a few songs in the past but not wowed. After that concert seeing him layering his guitar on stage several times ,adding his final vocals and they were really passionate love songs or lost love songs. Quite impressive. Lots of new stuff on Radio Paradise to keep this old geezer at 64 aware and listening but not buying. I do love how he blends music of all types and of course 2 notes of a classic rock song puts a smile on my face.
notnaim manPosted: 30 August 2017Last Updated: 15 October 2017
The words that get bandied about in magazines, shows, demonstrations, but how do they translate into music? Some ideas, hopefully inviting comment and examples to expand my music collection. Bass, midrange and treble can be reasonably easily described because instruments and voice have specified, measurable frequencies. In reading through the forum there are often references to hearing loss and I have seen and heard arguments that treble becomes superfluous because of this. I can recall a...
Gavin BPosted: 13 October 2017Last Updated: 14 October 2017
I'm probably being a bit dim but I can't find the Naim playlist advertised in the recent Connections mag. I can't find anything using search. The link at the bottom of the online Connections doesn't go to anything in particular or at least not on my iPad. Any pointers?
ConsciousmessPosted: 13 October 2017Last Updated: 13 October 2017
Does anyone have any recommendations for Xmas music suitable for eclectic guests? 24bit ideally!
DrMarkPosted: 02 August 2017Last Updated: 13 October 2017
I've heard they were a band of some note... My brother alerted me to the presence of a pretty good site about the Fabs; thought I'd share it here. http://www.beatlesebooks.com/
SmithfirePosted: 07 October 2017Last Updated: 10 October 2017
Hi guys and gals I just started buying vinyl again and find myself at a crossroads. Should I go for second hand original pressings or new 180g releases? Seem to be paying around the 20 pound mark for both, so my thinking is why take the risk of a used record that you have no idea of its use/treatment? The flip side being, how do you know which are the good 180g releases and not just some bodged up remastering. Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. I did search, but felt a direct...
David O'HigginsPosted: 15 September 2017Last Updated: 10 October 2017
'The Laughing Apple', just released, is very entertaining. I'm a fan from 60s/70s, and some of the tracks are unreleased from then, and others from the now 72 year old. I had read an unfavourable review, but I bought (24 bit download) anyway and I'm glad I did. If you ever liked his stuff, buy this and enjoy!
Massimo BertolaPosted: 18 September 2017Last Updated: 10 October 2017
I have heard Bocelli sing a number of times, with a choice of all possible repertoire and of the most possible kitsch arrangements. These, to my ears, can't conceal the fact that he's not a lyric singer, not a proper chamber music one, he hasn't the proper 'pasta di voce', nor the necessary power, is just decently in tune, and has two dynamic modes: an uniform, soporific piano and a somehow theater-ish forte . Both modes are unmodulated, poor in shades, flat as an old Naim amp and only the...
Bert SchurinkPosted: 08 September 2017Last Updated: 08 October 2017
I just realized that I don't have an extensive collection of movie soundtracks. While I like the music of movies in quite a number of cases. Examples like the last emperor, gladiator, etc.... What is you favorite list of Soundtracks. And do you have also a recommendation for something which wouldn't be on every-bodies list.
dayjayPosted: 02 October 2017Last Updated: 07 October 2017
It would appear that Tom Petty has passed away after a heart attack. If confirmed then this is dreadfully sad news and another legend lost to us at too young an age, I was lucky enough to watch Tom in London a few months ago; we'd gone to see Stevie Nicks who my wife loves but Tom blew her off stage. He is a great loss to those of us who love rock music.
ConsciousmessPosted: 01 October 2017Last Updated: 02 October 2017
Call this an off the wall question, but if you went through your entire collection and selected your favourite tracks and added them to a playlist, what would the number of tracks in your playlist be? For the past hour and a half, I’ve been going through about 1.5Tb of Music and adding the best tracks to a collective playlist. (Ok, this is a flawed system as I like all genres but jazz and heavy metal, making the playlist strange, so I avoided all classical and electronic pieces.) Bizarrely,...
joerandPosted: 02 September 2017Last Updated: 20 September 2017
The most tragic five for me that died of circumstances beyond their control: Buddy Holly, Mozart, John Lennon, Jim Croce, and Warren Zevon. As for sad, self-induced deaths: Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, and (debatably) Jimi Hendrix. All members of The 27 Club. No doubt each was industrious in their craft and had a lot more to offer.
stevebPosted: 10 September 2017Last Updated: 17 September 2017
sad news for Can fans , death of Holger Cukay on 6th Sept 2017. A real talent, innovative and highly influential http://www.nme.com/news/music/can-co-founder-holger-czukay-has-died-79-2134593 Steve
fathings catPosted: 17 September 2017Last Updated: 17 September 2017
Jake's latest effort is a really strong album. After a mediocre couple of albums since his explosive first album he is really maturing. Gary
LittlefeatPosted: 12 August 2017Last Updated: 17 September 2017
Shadows and Light...Joni
GajdzinPosted: 16 September 2017Last Updated: 16 September 2017
My son has a combined 19th b'day and farewell party - he's going away to study in England (Loughborough). 15 young people are in my living room, enthusiastically going through my 70s/80s vinyl, for the past one hour listening to Dire Straits on the main system of Naim XS + Audio Physics Tempo VI. I didn't expect that at all. There's hope for mankind.
MangoMonkeyPosted: 23 July 2017Last Updated: 16 September 2017
Hey guys, Dipping my toe into the classical scene. The extent of my exposure has been stuff that Yo-Yo Ma has played over the years. His Vivaldi, Baroque and Bach CDs. Discovered Max Richter's recomposition of Vivaldi - and like it. So - maybe a top 10 CD list? Accessibility is paramount - my 6 yr old should not want me to turn it off. :-)
RICHYHPosted: 17 August 2017Last Updated: 15 September 2017
I throw my hat in the ring Willie Dixon Please respond
John3Posted: 07 July 2017Last Updated: 15 September 2017
I am going to this next week. For anyone that has already been can you recall whether they allow photography? I do not wish to lug my camera along unnecessarily.