Music Room

John ChanningPosted: 22 June 2001Last Updated: 26 June 2001
I heard the sad news on the radio this morning that John Lee Hooker has died. He was a truly great bluesman and will greatly missed.John
PPosted: 16 June 2001Last Updated: 21 June 2001
I'm a really big Kenny Burrell fan.Can anyone shed any light on the Andy Warhol covers?I came across this album for sale recently. It's on Blue Note - 1543 and it's extremely expensive!How much should one pay and are the Warhol sleeves ...
woodfacePosted: 20 June 2001Last Updated: 20 June 2001
I wonder if someone more knowledgable than me can help? On KOB the liner notes give the impression that Aderley only plays (or 'lays out' as they say) on the one track. This puzzles me, as when listening to the album you have a saxaphone coming out of...
woodfacePosted: 20 June 2001Last Updated: 20 June 2001
Unfortunately I forgot to video the Jazz documentary last night (19/6). I understand it had Charlie Parker on it so I am very peed off. Is there anyone out there who taped it and is prepared to lend it to me. Obviously I will refund the postage etc....
BoshPosted: 09 June 2001Last Updated: 19 June 2001
Superb show at Sheffield tonight (although Neil admitted a few glitches) dont miss the Glasgow. Dublin, Brum or London shows if you have the opportunity to be there
John CPosted: 10 June 2001Last Updated: 19 June 2001
I went to see Wallace Roney live last night and apart from the misfortune of almost sitting on top of the drummer and now having a very painful right ear was very impressed.My lovely companion (the strife) was very impressed and bought his latest CD...
John BoonPosted: 16 June 2001Last Updated: 19 June 2001
I've had "A Love Supreme" for a while and it's been getting more and more plays over time. I recently borrowed "Blue Train" and instantly fell in love with it, so went in search of my own copy. Looked like I was in luck, as the CD appeared to be on...
Anna ToothPosted: 24 May 2001Last Updated: 15 June 2001
Picture a sun-drenched city. The heat of summer that bordered on the oppressive has receded and people are starting to move around again. The city is Seville. Dancers are putting their shoes on, musicians picking up their instruments. People are...
Steve GPosted: 13 June 2001Last Updated: 14 June 2001
The best recording of Copland's Appalachian Spring I have to date is a RCA Gold Seal one re-mastered (to CD) from a 1959 recording with Copland himself conducting the Boston Symphony Orchestra. It's a nice recording for it's age, but there is a fair...
Ian HughesPosted: 12 June 2001Last Updated: 13 June 2001
Does anyone happen to know what the backing music to the new Jaguar X-type advert is? Everytime the advert is shown, my wife keeps saying "I wonder who sings that?"Thanks - here's hoping
Jon MoxonPosted: 31 May 2001Last Updated: 13 June 2001
Surprised noones posted about this on. Has evryone forgotten about Radiohead...?Anyway, picked this up last night and a quiet day at work means I've had it on repeat for the past few hours, more as background than real listening.Have to say that...
ken cPosted: 11 June 2001Last Updated: 12 June 2001
got dave holland quintet "prime directive" a few days go. good album isnt it?? i am sure i picked this up on the basis of someone's recommendation here.i also got, india.arie "acoustic soul". this one i am not too sure of, so will give it a second...
SteveandkatePosted: 10 June 2001Last Updated: 11 June 2001
OK, so where do I start - I have a very patchy compilation, and want to know which are the better, or even best albums by Mr Charles - any suggestions ?Also, what about other artists, like Muddy Waters, BB King etc ?Thanks !Steve
ken cPosted: 07 June 2001Last Updated: 08 June 2001
hi guys,wasnt sure whether this belongs to music or hifi, but anyway, here goes:which record do you play when you want to check that all is well with your system?for lp12, i play Ricky Lee Jones, Girl at the Volcano Album, "under the boardwalk" track,...
SprogglePosted: 07 June 2001Last Updated: 07 June 2001
Someone on the forum mentioned a group whose name I've now forgotten - which is rather annoying because I want to buy one of their CDs. I've searched for 45 minutes, but I just can't find the posting. I hope someone will be able to identify it for...
JayPosted: 01 June 2001Last Updated: 07 June 2001
No not David Byrne but my picks for the week.Zero 7's - Simple Things. I picked it up during the week on a bit of a punt and really love it. A similar sound to that of Air's Moon Safari but not as "poppy". Much better in my opinion.Air - 10,000hz...
Todd APosted: 06 June 2001Last Updated: 06 June 2001
Happy days are here! My local Tower has tons o’ signs proclaiming that both Vivendi Universal and Sony have dropped their standard CD prices, Sony down to $12.99 a disc. On sale, that translates to $10 a pop. (I face no sales tax, so that’s a...
Peter StockwellPosted: 22 March 2001Last Updated: 06 June 2001
Yesterday I bought the new John Hammond CD 'Wicked Grin' . The track list is a sort of 'best of' Tom Waits. The sound has that cavernous big sound of the recent Tom Waits Recordings, and with good reason, because Tom Waits is the producer of this...
Steve GPosted: 05 June 2001Last Updated: 06 June 2001
I gave the Massive Attack No Protection CD on my system this evening. I heard more detail than ever before after my recent upgrades but the 1st track is still a little system unfriendly. The bass on "Radiation Ruling The Nation" sounds horrible on...
Tony LPosted: 08 May 2001Last Updated: 05 June 2001
New stuffI went to London over the weekend, so…Mogwai 'Rock action' - A Mogwai album that clocks in at under 40 minutes, what ever next. More song based than earlier releases, though still recognisably Mogwai. Excellent stuff.Rocket Girl -...
Peter StockwellPosted: 04 June 2001Last Updated: 05 June 2001
Costello that is.I pulled out the 'Kojak Variety' CD the other day and was astounded by the energy and joy on the recording. I just picked up the collaboration with Sophie von Otter, which I find mesmerizing. I just sold 'Punch the Clock', although I...
JYOWPosted: 04 June 2001Last Updated: 04 June 2001
Today while shopping in a shop in Tokyo that sells thousands of used classical LP/CDs, I came across them playing an old album by violinist Michael Rabin through a pair of LS3/5A. The music and sound was sweet and irresistible to me so I asked to look...
Todd APosted: 29 May 2001Last Updated: 03 June 2001
Artur Schnabel playing Beethoven's 1st and 2nd Piano Concertos with the LSO & LPO under Malcom Sargent, with a recording of Fur Elise thrown in, too! A Naxos Historical winner, to be sure. For those of you not already salivating and counting your pennies to buy this gem, allow me to elaborate slightly. These are 1932 and 1935 HMV recordings, lovingly and expertly restored. The sound is indeed 70 years old, though it is quite remarkable, really. Sure it lacks great detail and clarity, and the...
RicoPosted: 31 May 2001Last Updated: 31 May 2001
An interesting question posed by the jet-setting Mr Jong, recently... "don't you ever listen to any relaxing music?"Thinking on this, I supposed it depends on your definition of relaxing. Amongst the rock and jazz on the shelves at Chez Rico, can be...
RicoPosted: 30 May 2001Last Updated: 30 May 2001
we went along to Ocean on Sunday night to catch Lloyd Cole & the Negatives . A pretty good gig, all-told... a very mellow thirty-something crowd was a certain change. If you don't get guitars, this was not a gig for you - aside from the drummer, the other four bandmembers were all totin' guitars of one sort or another. Fun intro's and outro's tacked on to Commotions classics, stolen from anthemic rock standards of the 70's and 80's was a good laff. Lloyd handled the rumours (check out...