Music Room

Todd APosted: 27 April 2001Last Updated: 27 April 2001
I took an opportunity to buy a handful of Mahler’s symphonies conducted by Maurice Abravanel and played by the Utah Symphony Orchestra on Vanguard Classics, and I must write my impressions of the music. First, of course, I need to specify the...
MarkusPosted: 23 April 2001Last Updated: 27 April 2001
Has anyone had a chance to compare the CD version of Zen Cuts to the vinyl version, sound-wise?I know the standard CD issue has more cuts than the standard vinyl version but I've seen a limited edition vinyl version that has all the same cuts as the...
CheesePosted: 25 April 2001Last Updated: 26 April 2001
There's something unique about being over 50:Many of those lucky blokes have had the opportunity to attend HISTORIC perfomances by HUGE artists. Like Miles in his blue period, Satchmo with Ella, Hendrix anywhere in the sky and, the biggest myth of all...
Simon JenkinsPosted: 23 April 2001Last Updated: 25 April 2001
Another few bits of black vinyl in the collection : Stereophonics - JEEP. Bought this one despite the bad reviews. Wish I hadn't bothered. Couple of nice tunes, but not a shade on performace and cocktails. J Mascis & SMOG - Not listened to this yet. Badlydrawnboy - Hour of the bewilderbeast. Read some really good reviews of this. Was very disappointed. Clever I guess, but I found it a little boring. Will give it a few more listens anyway. Sebadoh - Bubble & Scrape. Classic 90's slacker...
Ade ArcherPosted: 23 April 2001Last Updated: 23 April 2001
I have often found that second hand vinyl is often sold with irritating sticky price labels on the sleeve, which can sometimes leave a residue on the cover after removal, and I have sometimes had trouble completely removing labels from some CD...
wal rileyPosted: 21 April 2001Last Updated: 22 April 2001
If anyone's been watching the re-run on chaz 4, then you'll know that Dom Joly has great taste in music, BUT there is a song that he plays regularly, which I think is called 'Haunted', that isn't included on either soundtrack album. The singer sounds...
ken cPosted: 12 April 2001Last Updated: 21 April 2001
hi again,oh my, if you like his approach to blues, then i urge you go and buy keb mo's "the doors" without delay. what a gem!!! i actually suspect i have been slow on this one -- those who like this guy will probably already have this album i am...
Andrew L. WeekesPosted: 18 April 2001Last Updated: 21 April 2001
If anyone out there was a fan of Andy Kershaw's often eclectic and varied shows on Radio 1, you may find the following snippet I've just found on the Radio3 'Late Junction' message board interesting: -'Meanwhile, some of you might like to take part in...
Colin LorensonPosted: 08 April 2001Last Updated: 20 April 2001
Guys,On holiday in Canada and a friend plyed me the new Jeff Beck - "You had it coming".Buy this disk. it's seriously kick-ass. I can't wait to get home and get it on my system. A mixture of heavy metal / sampled hip-hop / Indian influenced music and...
Doug GrahamPosted: 09 April 2001Last Updated: 20 April 2001
Dearest allThe one to get:OLDSOLAR...Many Visitors Have Been Gored By Buffalo.Don't be put off by the title. It's great contemporary stuff.LaterDoug
Andrew RandlePosted: 28 March 2001Last Updated: 19 April 2001
Hello Lads 'n Lasses,Here's some new Jazzy Trip-Hop records I've bought recently.Nils Petter Molvaer 'Khmer'. Slow and soulful trumpet with heavy drums and samples that develop unique arrangements.Nils Petter Molvaer 'Khmer, The Remixes'. See above,...
Mick PPosted: 18 April 2001Last Updated: 19 April 2001
ChapsI came across an EMI classics reference CD pack a couple of days ago and thought I would listen to it following the multiple and frequent mentioning of this guy by Vuk.It consists of 3 discs containing a series of works by Gluck, Mozart, Hayden,...
calum scottPosted: 17 April 2001Last Updated: 18 April 2001
I did a search on the Music Room and only found a couple of references to Claire Martin and not a lot of detail.I read somewhere that she's a better singer than Diana Krall, who I really enjoy listening to late at night, so I'm tempted to take the...
Tony LPosted: 09 April 2001Last Updated: 18 April 2001
God, it’s the 9th of April, and no one has started a thread yet…Ladytron '604' - Time to do my bit for the local economy. There are a few pretty interesting things happening in the Liverpool music scene at the moment: Three minute margin,...
PetePosted: 17 April 2001Last Updated: 17 April 2001
I usually buy CDs in pairs to make the postage less offensive, so to accompany the new Jeff Beck one I picked up Bill Frisell's "Nashville"... To those of you who are still convinced you hate country music, put this one on the list of things to listen...
ken cPosted: 13 April 2001Last Updated: 14 April 2001
hi, i used to have a quite a number of web site url's that picked up from this forum where you can buy cd's/records online, but have misplaced this list. i know about cdnow, jazzonline -- and obviously the naim web site. i know there were a lot more...
Andrew L. WeekesPosted: 10 April 2001Last Updated: 13 April 2001
Borrowed 'Cannibal' by the above from a friend and it's spent quite a lot of time in the CD5 recently.Anyone know anything about them or other worthy buys?Andy.Andrew L. Weekesalweekes@audiophile.com
Anna ToothPosted: 11 April 2001Last Updated: 11 April 2001
"Songs For The Jetset"I found this whilst listening to new stuff on listening posts, and it hasn't been out of my CD player since I got it home. It's a wonderful CD with some fantastic songs on it. The vocalist has a slightly unusual but sublime voice...
Top CatPosted: 28 March 2001Last Updated: 10 April 2001
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good introduction to the man and his music - his work seems to have slipped by without my noticing, and it's due to a cover of one of his songs by (of all people) Johnny Cash (you at the back, don't laugh!)...
ken cPosted: 07 April 2001Last Updated: 09 April 2001
hi,up to now i have observed, somewhat bemused, my daughter's near obsession with what she calls "hip-hop" "garage" music -- and other names i cant remember. up to now, just to tease her, i had been calling it "brain damage" music. how wrong i...
Top CatPosted: 09 April 2001Last Updated: 09 April 2001
Three is a magic number.Yes it is, it's a magic number...--John
Martin MPosted: 05 April 2001Last Updated: 09 April 2001
This arrived last night from Amazon. Its a cracking album. Good songs, sparsely yet intelligently arranged, well played and well recorded. In terms of overall quality it reminds of Joni Mitchell in her mid-70's hey-day but less jazzy and more folky...
ken cPosted: 02 April 2001Last Updated: 08 April 2001
hi folks,my system stopped making music on thursday night, 22 march. i will detail why in another thread some other time, but the good news is that, as of this last saturday, thanks to naim, i have music in my home again. i can say, without...
JohnPosted: 08 April 2001Last Updated: 08 April 2001
Check out this CD it is very good relative to anything else I have heard from Clapton. If you like Clapton it's a no brainer. The production is first rate but more important the performances are interesting.
John G.Posted: 03 April 2001Last Updated: 08 April 2001
Everyone should try this album, it came out in 1989 and was the last studio album made with his group. It shows how Miles continued to move forward with his music and showcases the excellent musicians that Miles always seemed to attract who were...