Music Room

Andrew L. WeekesPosted: 28 November 2000Last Updated: 29 May 2001
Visit Virgin.net CD Wow offer to get a chart CD for a fiver, including delivery. My problem is I don't know which to choose - anyone care to pick one as a stand-out album for me? Andy. Andrew L. Weekes alweekes@audiophile.com [This message was edited by Andrew L. Weekes on TUESDAY 28 November 2000 at 20:14.]
FangfossFlyerPosted: 11 May 2001Last Updated: 29 May 2001
Does any one know if you can get the excellent John Martyn "Glasgow Walker" on LP.My wife has a CD copy we play on our kitchen CD system but I would love to own the LP for my real system.This John Martyn CD is just so full of soul, emotion, love and ...
Anna ToothPosted: 29 May 2001Last Updated: 29 May 2001
Bought some CDs on Saturday and had a lovely time listening to them throughout the weekend.Reveal - REM is a really good album. There are some wonderful tracks and Michael Stipes voice is sounding better than ever.Anhomie and Bonhomie - Scritti...
John CPosted: 29 April 2001Last Updated: 28 May 2001
I went to see the great man live last night. Seeing a giant of the music in the flesh is always an awesome experience but for me seeing Sonny Rollins my favourite jazz musician bar none is well nigh religious experience. Although its well recognized...
ken cPosted: 24 May 2001Last Updated: 25 May 2001
hi folks.i picked up a piano recording the other day. i have just played it. it has affected me deeply. its Sviatoslav Richter on "The Authorized Recordings - Schubert" a double CD on Philips Digital Classics. i have just played the first CD, "Sonata...
Todd APosted: 24 May 2001Last Updated: 24 May 2001
Last year I wrote about how I rather enjoyed the first three volumes of Annie Fischer’s nine-volume set of Beethoven’s complete piano sonatas on Hungaroton. I am now able to report that I absolutely love the complete set. I was hoping to...
Martin PaynePosted: 20 May 2001Last Updated: 23 May 2001
For info, for any of you who may have ordered anything from A&B sound recently. I received this e-mail this morning. I have tried to visit the site and it's down. Martin quote: PRESS RELEASE During the early morning hours of May 18, 2001, the security on the web site maintained by A&B Sound Ltd. was breached by unknown persons. A&B Sound Ltd. has reason to believe that credit card information belonging to customers who had open, unprocessed orders on the web site may have been obtained and...
MarkEJPosted: 10 April 2001Last Updated: 23 May 2001
Album title: Aras Artist: Curandero ...on Silverwave Records SD911 Band is: Miguel Espinoza - guitar Bela Fleck - banjo Kai Eckhardt (yes, same one) - bass Ty Burhoe - tabla(s) & percussion Apparently this CD has been recently deleted, but there may be some stock about. Absolutely marvellous, captivating music beautifully captured ADD. Overall feel slightly like "Ghetto Paradise" only slightly more flamenco-y, and less laid back. Grab it if you see it... Best; Mark
John CPosted: 19 May 2001Last Updated: 21 May 2001
The 2001 Meltdown on the Southbank has a fantastic lineup this year.Im hugely excited by and going to see the following John Surman/Jack DeJohnetteAndrew Cyrille/Oliver Lake/Reggie Workman/Keith TippettMax Roach!!! William Parker/Matthew Shipp!!!!!...
Dev BPosted: 19 May 2001Last Updated: 21 May 2001
Go buy this record. It is on V recordings and is mixed by DJ Marky and DJ Patife. Includes the hottest tune at the moment 'Sambassim'. It is basically brazilian beats, voices with a medium tempo drum and bass backdrop. It's pretty rare. Wire magazine...
Doug GrahamPosted: 18 May 2001Last Updated: 19 May 2001
Just go get it. Go on do it now. You know you want to. Who is she? Gill Scott that's who.Buy this record.LaterDougP.S. Will the mo**e*f***er who stole my Wyclef Jean CD at the Stereophile show please return it no questions asked. Or just feel bad
Anna ToothPosted: 13 March 2001Last Updated: 18 May 2001
This Thursday 15th March at Camden Dingwalls, London NW1!!Antonio Forcione will be playing with the Trio - Davide on bass as usual and Nic beefing it up on drums. They'll be introduced by comedian Boothby Graffoe, whose show,Big Booth Too, featuring...
Peter StockwellPosted: 10 May 2001Last Updated: 18 May 2001
I've just seen this for a very reasonable €25. Is this set worth the effort ? I've only managed to here a few seconds of crowd noise from this recording and it strikes me as unnecessary after the 75-85 set and the (not) unplugged sets. Anyone...
ken cPosted: 12 May 2001Last Updated: 17 May 2001
not the sort of music i would ordinarily buy, but i want to try. reason is that my system is exhibiting a rather special magic for easy going, intimate type music -- and i just want to see what it would do for music i dont currently own --and frank...
MarkusPosted: 27 April 2001Last Updated: 16 May 2001
Has anyone heard the new box set reissues of the Fela Kuti stuff on vinyl? So far there are four box sets, each with six LP's inside. On the outside of the box it says they're remastered. How do they sound? Does anyone know how they compare to the ...
ken cPosted: 07 May 2001Last Updated: 14 May 2001
... is not a jazz guitarist i know well. but i picked up "works for me" from a friends recommendation and thoroughly enjoyed it. the line up is solid and includes -- brad mehldau on piano!!! i knew i had "art of the trio vol 3" in my collection, but...
woodfacePosted: 09 April 2001Last Updated: 10 May 2001
I suggest you all go out and buy the 'St Germain - Tourist' album. It is on Blue Note and is stunning; very much in a similar vain to first Guru Jazzmataz album. Also, anyone who doubts the low bass abillity of Sbl's should hear this album through a pair!
RobbiePosted: 09 May 2001Last Updated: 09 May 2001
Some good music for warm afternoons and evenings:Air-Moon safariSt. Germain-TouristNick Cave-The boatman's callRed hot chilli peppers-CalifornicationTool-AenimaEnjoy,Rob.
ken cPosted: 12 April 2001Last Updated: 07 May 2001
hi folks(!)am i alone in being completely bowled over by the music of eva cassidy? started with "songbird" -- which got me interested enough to demand more. so today i bought (amongst others) "time after time". great stuff.pity she is not with us ...
ken cPosted: 15 April 2001Last Updated: 05 May 2001
bought this fred simon cd quite some time ago, but hadnt played it since my system wasnt really in a healthy state. my system is recovering nicely now, so i gave it a spin today.on tracks 1 and 5 i hear an odd sound which comes up every now and then...
JohnPosted: 08 April 2001Last Updated: 01 May 2001
Looking for recommendations. I have his Night Train and just traded in his Exclusively for My Friends. Love the Night Train but never seemed to listen to the Exclusively box set for some reason. I have listened to some other CD in the store but...
ken cPosted: 19 April 2001Last Updated: 29 April 2001
i picked up "new orleans styles" on the storyville label yesterday from HMV, oxford st, london. its the fact that it had kid ory on it that attracted me to the album in the first place. but there were 3 other jazz groups on it. i kind of suspected...
ken cPosted: 23 April 2001Last Updated: 29 April 2001
phew... i have just been listening to cecilia bartoli's "live in italy" disc. i am stunned. truly gobsmacked! where does she get a voice like that from?? some sort of goddess or what??sometimes, sopranos have me ducking for cover as they slice your...
Martin MPosted: 25 April 2001Last Updated: 28 April 2001
If you like Little Feat, I'd recommend you go see them live - its an amazing experience, highly recommended. For one night only they are playing Ocean in London - June 11th. Highly recommended.
Todd APosted: 27 April 2001Last Updated: 27 April 2001
I took an opportunity to buy a handful of Mahler’s symphonies conducted by Maurice Abravanel and played by the Utah Symphony Orchestra on Vanguard Classics, and I must write my impressions of the music. First, of course, I need to specify the...