Music on Special Offer Thread?

Posted by: sjt on 14 December 2016

I am wondering if it would be legit to have a thread in here dedicated to music album downloads from legitimate retailers that are currently on special offer.

As an example I was just looking through the what are you listening to mega thread just now and came across the Melody Gardot record because someone was listening to it. I have wanted this for a while but it was always expensive (about 20 quid). On a whim I went over to a place I usually go to buy music downloads and by a blind stroke of luck it was on special offer at just over half price. Deluxe edition is cheaper than the standard edition! I bought it straight away.

So I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to posting albums that are on special offer at the moment with not-so-subtle hints as to where you could get them from, when the offer expires and how much is knocked off etc, so people could see instantly anything that was on special. It would certainly be a thread I would come back to often.

I did a search and couldn't find anything like this in the forum, but usually the searches on these forums are rubbish so this is not a guarantee!

There might need to be a few rules, e.g. the poster has no affiliation with the seller, only legitimate download shops / sites etc.

Just a thought still in the half-bakery...

Posted on: 14 December 2016 by Bert Schurink

Good idea thanks. Tips should ideally also include the country limitations.

Right now suggestions are for...

eclassical daily 4 albums at 50 percent in the Christmas period

Qobuz big selection with -30 percent also for Christmas....

Posted on: 14 December 2016 by hungryhalibut

Qobuz have still got the Steve Reich ECM recordings for about £6, and a five album Charles Lloyd set for £15. 

If Richard is ok with the idea maybe he could edit the thread title and this becomes the thread. 

Posted on: 15 December 2016 by AndyP19

It's a bit like the old days nipping down the high street and checking out who had the best deal Virgin, HMV, Tower, Our Price, Sam Goody, Boots, Woolworths or Smiths........

Now I go through the same process on-line with Qobuz, HD Tracks, HighRes Audio, 7Digital, Bandcamp and JunoDownload........ and moan about the cost of downloads as I did with the cost of CDs when they came out - Same as it ever was!

Bought the long awaited Neil Young - Time Fades Away a few weeks ago on 24bit for about £15 only to find it on special offer a day later on another site for a tenner.

So I like the idea posed by SJT.

Posted on: 15 December 2016 by DenisA

There are many offers from the ReR Sale 2016

This year, my musical awareness & appreciation has been expanded by the Australian Trio - The Necks. In the space of two months, I accumulated 10 albums, 4 of which came from the offer below. Seeing them 'live' was also a mind blowing experience, which I will repeat next year. Anyway, lots of 'different' music to explore from an excellent music retailer.

"Many of our best releases are just sitting on the shelf here because money is tight and mostly people are buying only what they know.

So the obvious titles continue to sell, while some of the most interesting don't.

And then we haven't had an ReR sale for a few years.

So, to make experimental listening a bit more practical while the government fails to see the elephant in the room on the economy, all the listed titles are yours for £5 each - so long as you order a minimum of four (£20) (otherwise the new, opportunistically unhelpful, postage costs make it impossible).

Go on ... now is the time.

(some non-ReR titles also available as part of the sale)."

http://www.rermegacorp.com/mm5...Screen=SPECIALOFFERS 

Happy hunting

Posted on: 15 December 2016 by wenger2015
AndyP19 posted:

It's a bit like the old days nipping down the high street and checking out who had the best deal Virgin, HMV, Tower, Our Price, Sam Goody, Boots, Woolworths or Smiths........

Now those were the good old days, most places had a bargain/sale rack .....the only thing I don't miss is I was broke at the time....

Posted on: 15 December 2016 by sjt

Alright then - thanks for the positive comments so far. Here is the bargain that started it:

Melody Gardot - Currency Of Man (Deluxe Edition - The Artist's Cut)

Qobuz high res UKP 11 (about - given euro exch rate), marked down from UKP 20 - 16 days left

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by Nick Lees

Today only, Bleep have got a sale on some 24-bit downloads @ £4.99

https://bleep.com/stream/24-bit-wav

I've just grabbed the new Mark Pritchard and Oneohtrix Point Never, but there are recent Eno, Aphex, Julia Holter and other weirder stuff too.

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by Chris G

On Qobuz in16/44 Shostakovich complete string quartets, by the Brodsky Quartet, a very recent release on the Chandos label, just £15.99.  Lovely recordings which have had favourable reviews.

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by Nick Lees
Chris G posted:

On Qobuz in16/44 Shostakovich complete string quartets, by the Brodsky Quartet, a very recent release on the Chandos label, just £15.99.  Lovely recordings which have had favourable reviews.

Ace. Thanks Chris.

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by Chris G

You're welcome Gary!

Regards

Chris

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by Nigel 66

On  Qobuz - The Doors, The Complete Studio Albums - 24/96 for £23.54. A bargain!

Posted on: 18 December 2016 by sjt
Gary Shaw posted:

Today only, Bleep have got a sale on some 24-bit downloads @ £4.99

https://bleep.com/stream/24-bit-wav

I've just grabbed the new Mark Pritchard and Oneohtrix Point Never, but there are recent Eno, Aphex, Julia Holter and other weirder stuff too.

Great steer that - I got the mark pritchard under the sun record 24 bit for a fiver. Its top class. Thanks!

Posted on: 20 December 2016 by Nick Lees

Another Bleep one day digital sale, left field yes, but some great stuff too.

Link here

Posted on: 21 December 2016 by SamS

On Quboz - Bob Dylan - The Original Mono Recordings - 10 CDs/94 tracks in CD quality 16/44.1 for £11.69.  Only for 4 more days apparently.

Also The Complete Basement Tapes - 6 CDs/139 tracks in Hi-Res 24/44.1 for £13.49 or CD quality  16/44.1 for £11.69 

That is some very nice pricing !! 

Posted on: 21 December 2016 by Yetizone

SJT,

Great idea for a thread

Posted on: 21 December 2016 by al9315
Gary Shaw posted:

Another Bleep one day digital sale, left field yes, but some great stuff too.

Link here

Julia Holter 24/96 £5.99 !

Posted on: 21 December 2016 by Yetizone

Lou Reed: Transformer 24-bit – 96.00 kHz on Qobuz, ten days left to buy at £5.24.

Posted on: 21 December 2016 by Dave J

Thanks for that, Yetizone.

Posted on: 21 December 2016 by Erich
SamS posted:

On Quboz - Bob Dylan - The Original Mono Recordings - 10 CDs/94 tracks in CD quality 16/44.1 for £11.69.  Only for 4 more days apparently.

Also The Complete Basement Tapes - 6 CDs/139 tracks in Hi-Res 24/44.1 for £13.49 or CD quality  16/44.1 for £11.69 

That is some very nice pricing !! 

Not in Switzerland:
On Quboz - Bob Dylan - The Original Mono Recordings
  • <label for="order29960503" title="16 Bit CD-Qualität (Verlustfrei 16 bits 44,1 kHz)">16 Bit CD-Qualität 54,44 Fr. 72,59 Fr.</label>
The Complete Basement Tapes
  • <label for="order49641312" title="Hi-Res mit Qobuz Sublim (24 bit)">Hi-Res mit Qobuz Sublim 39,89 Fr. 53,19 Fr. </label>First is sale price and then "normal" price.
Posted on: 22 December 2016 by Yetizone

Qobuz - Up to 30% off a selection of 24/96 and 24/192 albums across all genres....

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/sea...16-en&i=boutique

Posted on: 23 December 2016 by AndyP19

Firstly thanks to Gary Shaw for pointing the way to Bleep.com a new one for me and great 24-bit offers.

Just had a massive scoop on Qobuz (Christmas present to myself). Some wonderful offers there on the Stax label - picked up Ann Peebles, Albert King, Booker T and the sublime Don Nix album 'Hobos Heroes and Street Corner Clowns' - so good that Beck, Bogart Appice covered two songs off this album.

Then things started to get ridiculous when I found on Qobuz the entire Lou Reed RCA/Arista 17 album set on 24 bit for - still can't believe it - £8.39 !!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought the decimal point must be in the wrong place.  

Also, got Van Morrison's expanded live set It's Too Late to Stop Now on 24 bit for £14.77 another massive saving.

Now that is a Happy Christmas.

Posted on: 23 December 2016 by docbot

The Lou Reed set is only £5.59 if on Sublime. Rude not to!!!! Downloading now :-)

Posted on: 23 December 2016 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Great news on those Lou Reed downloads.... off to find it now.. 

Posted on: 23 December 2016 by trickydickie

If you like Jazz Highresaudio.com have a free studio master album until 25 Dec.  

Itamar Borochov - Boomerang

https://www.highresaudio.com/de/promotion/xmas

Richard

Posted on: 23 December 2016 by Bert Schurink

Have a daily look at eclassical they have 50 percent on 4 new albums every day in the Christmas period...