Football season 2018/19

Posted by: Kevin-W on 15 July 2018

Now the World Cup's over, it's time to turn our attention to the domestic leagues in the UK, Europe, South America and elsewhere...

So here's a thread for all matters pertaining to the 2018/19 season - whether you follow one of the giants like Barca, Real, Juve, Man City or Corinthians; or a non-league side.

All are welcome - and let's hear from followers of smaller clubs, like Harrogate Railway, Sutton United or Tottenham Hotspur.

Posted on: 15 July 2018 by MDS

Well done, Kevin. I just thinking it would timely to kick-off a thread on the new season.

I see slippy G has already picked an early victory with Rangers in a Europa League qualifier. It will be interesting to see how far behind Celtic Rangers finish this season.   

Posted on: 15 July 2018 by JamieWednesday
Kevin-W posted:

and let's hear from followers of smaller clubs, like Harrogate Railway, Sutton United or Tottenham Hotspur.

Seems a bit harsh on Sutton.

Posted on: 15 July 2018 by Kevin-W

I must admit to being somewhat puzzled.

Usually, West Ham's transfer windows are chaotic affairs - promises of big signings are never fulfilled, and there's usually a last minute panic buy of a has-been, a non-entity or a sicknote, with the Dildos resolutely keeping their wallets shut and going for the cheapest option; or else buying crocks and getting done up like kippers.

However things have all gone a bit weird this summer. We have spent upwards of £100m so far, and there are more players to come, apparently.All the players we've signed so far are quality - Issa Diop (Toulouse), Ryan Fredericks (Fulham), Lukasz Fabianski (Swansea), free agent Jack Wilshere  (IF he stays fit), Andriy Yarmolenko (Borussia Dortmund), Fabian Balbuena (Corinthians) and, today, Felipe Anderson (Lazio).

We've broken  our transfer record TWICE so far this window, first for Diop, then for Anderson. All these players are much quicker than most of the guys we buy, so I'm hoping that Pellegrini (what a coup it was getting him) is building a fast-moving, attacking side (MP has also indicated that he wants to play Arnie and Chicha together as a strike force, a prospect that has got Hammers fans rally excited)

Of course, there's the possibility (probability) that none of thse players will gel, and that we end up doing an Everton...

Posted on: 15 July 2018 by JamieWednesday

Well we’ve bought a midfielder.

Because, like we’re short of midfielders.

Posted on: 15 July 2018 by VladtheImpala
Kevin-W posted:

Usually, West Ham's transfer windows are chaotic affairs - promises of big signings are never fulfilled, and there's usually a last minute panic buy of a has-been, a non-entity or a sicknote, with the Dildos resolutely keeping their wallets shut and going for the cheapest option; or else buying crocks and getting done up like kippers.

However things have all gone a bit weird this summer. We have spent upwards of £100m so far, and there are more players to come, apparently.All the players we've signed so far are quality - Issa Diop (Toulouse), Ryan Fredericks (Fulham), Lukasz Fabianski (Swansea), free agent Jack Wilshere  (IF he stays fit), Andriy Yarmolenko (Borussia Dortmund), Fabian Balbuena (Corinthians) and, today, Felipe Anderson (Lazio).

We've broken  our transfer record TWICE so far this window, first for Diop, then for Anderson. All these players are much quicker than most of the guys we buy, so I'm hoping that Pellegrini (what a coup it was getting him) is building a fast-moving, attacking side (MP has also indicated that he wants to play Arnie and Chicha together as a strike force, a prospect that has got Hammers fans rally excited)

Of course, there's the possibility (probability) that none of thse players will gel, and that we end up doing an Everton...

Steady now, some of us Everton supporters are still smarting from last season. And we also have some midfielders you might take off our hands...……….

Posted on: 15 July 2018 by ALANP
Kevin-W posted:

Kevin, as you point out the best signing WHU have made this summer is Pellegrini and I think the penny has finally dropped with the owners that they need to supply him with  suitable new recruits  otherwise it will have been pointless appointing him.If they get off to a good start it could be exciting times for the Hammers and some stability.Has there been a change in recruitment policy/personnel to bring about this change? 

Posted on: 15 July 2018 by Kevin-W
ALANP posted:

Kevin, as you point out the best signing WHU have made this summer is Pellegrini and I think the penny has finally dropped with the owners that they need to supply him with  suitable new recruits  otherwise it will have been pointless appointing him.If they get off to a good start it could be exciting times for the Hammers and some stability.Has there been a change in recruitment policy/personnel to bring about this change? 

Hi Alan

There does indeed seem to have been a change, with the appointment of our first-ever DoF, Mario Husillos, who has worked with MP in the past. This means that Husillos and Pellegrini are largely responsible for player recruitment, rather than Sullivan (thank god).

As you say, there's little point in hiring someone of the calibre of Pellegrini if you don't let him recruit the players he wants.

Posted on: 15 July 2018 by MDS
Kevin-W posted:

Yes, Kevin. I'd also noticed WHU splashing the cash and, apparently, agreeing a handsome salary to sick-note Wilshire.  What I haven't seen though is players being off-loaded.  Wage bill must be growing quite rapidly. Not like the owners at all.    

Posted on: 16 July 2018 by Tabby cat

Kev,

I think things are moving in a very positive way at West Ham.Getting Pellagrini was a great choice.Early days I know but he should get them playing in a more attacking style as he got City doing when he was there.

Looking forward to having  Riyad Marez at City.Some more midfield creativity is always handy especially if we have got a few out injured.

Posted on: 16 July 2018 by Bob the Builder

Well it seems the Arsenal under new boss Unai Emery has at least attempted  to finally shore up a very, very soft Centre with new signings Lucas Torreira  who had a great World Cup with Uruguay from Sampdoria,  Stephan Lichtsteiner from Juventus, Sokratis From Dortmund and Goal Keeper Bernd Leno from Bayer Leverkusen. 

Posted on: 16 July 2018 by wenger2015

Pellegrini hopefully will be a good fit for WHU, I always thought at City he came across well, always dignified and respectful in both winning and losing.

Hopefully Wiltshire will have an injury free season as I’m sure he will feel that he has a point to prove after being overlooked by Southgate and dumped by Arsenal. 

I would like to see him do well... I think leaving him out of the England squad was Southgates one mistake, he in my book could have been an English version of Croatia’s Modric

Posted on: 16 July 2018 by Bob the Builder

I saw Jack play as a 16 year old and he dominated a tough Newcastle side in a Carling Cup match, he looked like he could become another Paul Gascoinge but unfortunately he has had some terrible injuries. 

He would have stayed but I believe this was the right move for him and I wish him good luck if he can stay free from injury he could become a Hammers legend. 

Posted on: 22 July 2018 by JamieWednesday

A long time coming...

Scottish Cup game today went to penalties, the result?

Forfar 5 Fife 4

Eric would be smiling.

Posted on: 23 July 2018 by Wugged Woy
JamieWednesday posted:
Kevin-W posted:

and let's hear from followers of smaller clubs, like Harrogate Railway, Sutton United or Tottenham Hotspur.

Hey, less of it you lot, or you'll get a clip round yer ear.....

This summer transfer window is scarily like all other summer transfer windows for us poor Spurs fans. All our rivals are busy signing up new players to strengthen their squads, and we are umming and ahhing about maybe buying Jack Grealish.

Gords sake......

We had (or Mr. Levy had) better start to pull our finger out, or we are going to lose ground and struggle to keep up with the top teams.

Signed -  Concerned of Warsaw.

Posted on: 24 July 2018 by wenger2015
Wugged Woy posted:
JamieWednesday posted:
Kevin-W posted:

Hey, less of it you lot, or you'll get a clip round yer ear.....

This summer transfer window is scarily like all other summer transfer windows for us poor Spurs fans. All our rivals are busy signing up new players to strengthen their squads, and we are umming and ahhing about maybe buying Jack Grealish.

Gords sake......

We had (or Mr. Levy had) better start to pull our finger out, or we are going to lose ground and struggle to keep up with the top teams.

Signed -  Concerned of Warsaw.

I would not be overly concerned about a lack of players being signed, you have a good squad already, a great manager and I’m sure you will have another successful campaign....

Big spending doesn’t equate to success on the pitch.

Posted on: 26 July 2018 by Christopher_M

I'm sorry to read of Paul Madeley, a boyhood hero and wonderful utility player. RIP

Posted on: 26 July 2018 by wenger2015
Christopher_M posted:

I'm sorry to read of Paul Madeley, a boyhood hero and wonderful utility player. RIP

I remember watching him in the Don Revie days, nick naimed ‘Rolls Royce’ or something similar...

Posted on: 26 July 2018 by wenger2015

I also recall Paul Madeley was the original founder of the company that became Screwfix, so a multi-millionaire as well as a first class footballer 

Posted on: 26 July 2018 by dave marshall

Such was his passion for playing for Leeds, that, when called in for a contract renewal, he simply signed a blank sheet of paper, leaving it up to the club to decide his wages and length of contract.

How football has changed, eh? 

Posted on: 04 August 2018 by Christopher_M

Headline on The News site: "Time for Pompey boss' difficult second album"

PlanetFootball and PlanetMusic collide

Posted on: 04 August 2018 by MDS
Christopher_M posted:

Difficult second season (in League One) perhaps.  We were very fortunate to take three points and keep a clean sheet against Luton this afternoon.  Luton look a good team.

Posted on: 04 August 2018 by Christopher_M
MDS posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Difficult second season (in League One) perhaps.  We were very fortunate to take three points and keep a clean sheet against Luton this afternoon.  Luton look a good team.

Rather better than my lot who were comprehensively beaten by a well organised and skillful Borussia Mönchengladbach.

Posted on: 05 August 2018 by Tabby cat

Come on City - Can't wait for the start of the Prem......not long to go.

http://e2.365dm.com/18/08/16-9/20/skysports-sergio-ageuro-manchester_4381574.jpg?20180805181138

Posted on: 05 August 2018 by MDS
Tabby cat posted:

Come on City - Can't wait for the start of the Prem......not long to go.

Can't see anyone stopping City from a successive title this season. Would be nice to see them punch their weight in the Champions League though.

Posted on: 05 August 2018 by dave marshall

Great start to the season for Leeds, beating the bookies’ favourite for promotion this afternoon.

Looks like our new manager has got them playing, at long last. ????????