Football season 2018/19

Posted by: Kevin-W on 15 July 2018

Now the World Cup's over, it's time to turn our attention to the domestic leagues in the UK, Europe, South America and elsewhere...

So here's a thread for all matters pertaining to the 2018/19 season - whether you follow one of the giants like Barca, Real, Juve, Man City or Corinthians; or a non-league side.

All are welcome - and let's hear from followers of smaller clubs, like Harrogate Railway, Sutton United or Tottenham Hotspur.

Posted on: 11 November 2018 by Christopher_M

Thanks Ian. Forgive me if I say that at the top of the table, my only hopes for this season is that someone (Liverpool?) will run you hard! I want a contest.

C.

Posted on: 13 November 2018 by Mike Hughes

Welsh derby ahoy. Chance for revenge too.

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by MDS

Having ground out yet another away win at Scunthorpe yesterday, I'm very much liking the look of the League One table today.  Unbelievably 4 points clear at the top from Sunderland in second (whose parachute payment this season is about ten times the size of Pompey's squad wage bill) and six points clear of the play-off places.  Jackett seems to have got the team well-organised and, perhaps most importantly, full of confidence - going behind doesn't faze them, nor needing to withstand a spell of pressure to hang onto the points.  I keep expecting form to fall away but here we are now seriously contemplating the possibility of being in the promotion positions at Xmas, which as all footie fans will know is a good sign!!  Happy days.      

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by Kevin-W

I suspect Ian will be chuffed with yesterday's result, although I'm not. Rubbish - most of the team went missing, Arnie and Anderson especially. Only Zab and Rice emerge from that one with any credit!

Kevin-W posted:

I suspect Ian will be chuffed with yesterday's result, although I'm not. Rubbish - most of the team went missing, Arnie and Anderson especially. Only Zab and Rice emerge from that one with any credit!

The pundits on BT sport were bemoaning Pellegrini's insistence on zonal marking, giving too many chances to a City side full of pace and slick passing. They said he used the same system while in charge at City and it didn't work too well there either. 

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by Kevin-W

Yes Mike - City didn't really have to get out of first gear. Pellegrini got his tactics completely wrong on this one.

Kevin-W posted:

Yes Mike - City didn't really have to get out of first gear. Pellegrini got his tactics completely wrong on this one.

No shame losing to the awesome City, Kev.  It will be the next four games that define your season: Newcastle, Cardiff, Palace and Fulham.  Play to potential and it could be a comfortable coast in mid-table or.......   

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by Tabby cat

Mike well pleased for Pompey.

As you say they are grinding the results out consistently home and away.Can see them joining The Saints in the Championship next season ( Sorry Chris just being realistic )

Kev obviously well pleased with the City domination at yours.Sane looked clinical and so composed.City a joy going forward.But as you know I am a big West Ham liker so won't go on ......you understand,

Says a lot about United these day when they can't even beat Palace at their Theater of Dreams....ha ha !

https://res.cloudinary.com/jpress/image/fetch/w_700,f_auto,ar_3:2,q_auto:low,c_fill/if_h_lte_200,c_mfit,h_201/https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/webimage/1.8717416.1543084611!/image/image.jpg

https://storify.com/services/proxy/2/7pg9UXfmrRpLKXa_aZxC1A/https/d2kmm3vx031a1h.cloudfront.net/NKfrabbVSy2Lb4Y6HF3G_GettyImages-1064734820.jpg

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by Mike Hughes

A first home defeat in a fine game of fine margins.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by MDS

An entertaining first half in Lyon.  The home side look impressive and really should be in front given the chances they've had but Man City look paces and dangerous on the break.  Wouldn't surprise me if City nick one.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by MDS

Second half even better. City showing some impressive resilience to come from behind twice and quickly. 

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Tabby cat

Good solid City performance - Lyon looked really good.Pleased we have finished top of the group.Aymeric Laporte has been a great buy in defence.He reads the game very well and at only 24 has got loads of potential improvement.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrwBcXkWwAcx_BC.jpg

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Christopher_M

My Saints have Man U in the late kick off on Saturday. Eeek. (again).

Meanwhile, Blues flying high at the other end of the M27.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Nick Lees

Last night I watched the most bonkers game I’ve ever seen:

Villa 0-1 Forest

0-2

1-2

2-2

2-3

3-3

Villa miss a sitter, Half Time. Phew.

3-4

Forest have a man sent off

4-4

5-4

5-5

Incredibly exciting even if disappointing to drop 2 points. One thing life is after dull old Bruce who left our defence in tatters, and that’s exciting. 

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Mike Hughes

The likely only Welsh derby of this season takes place at 8pm on Saturday in the FA Cup. Two good attacking teams. Two good young managers. A free hit for both clubs but especially mine.

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by Tabby cat

Kev,

Nice 3 points at Newcastle.Well pleased with them picking them selves up after City.With Newcastle's form I was expecting a draw at best.

City's win with Bournemouth wasn't straight forward as City where giving them to much time on the ball but Stirling got them back in the 2nd half and Gundogan wrapped it up at 3 - 1.Still unbeaten at home in 8 games.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/800/cpsprodpb/0A89/production/_104579620_hernandez_reuters.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/800/cpsprodpb/11041/production/_104579696_sterling_pa.jpg

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by Kevin-W

Yep Ian, very pleased with that result - we don't often get anything at the Barcodes' place. Sounded like it was end to end stuff.

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by Christopher_M

Saints 2, Man U 2. Professionally the best game I've done this season. Team-wise, I thought it a more than decent performance but a draw is simply not enough given the state we are in. Especially when one considers that we 2-0 up after twenty odd minutes.

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by MDS
Christopher_M posted:

Saints 2, Man U 2. Professionally the best game I've done this season. Team-wise, I thought it a more than decent performance but a draw is simply not enough given the state we are in. Especially when one considers that we 2-0 up after twenty odd minutes.

I watched the game on BT Sport, Chris.  I thought your lot played well against a stuttering Man U.  Of course, it's always disappointing to give away a two-goal lead, and at the point in the game I though United were more likely to go on to win, but I suspect Hughes and most Saints fans would have taken a point if offered it before the game.   

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by MDS

What a dramatic end to the Liverpool derby? And what a crazy, crazy goal?  Klopp shouldn't have run on the picture at the goal but I can't help but love him for his passion.  Hope the authorities go easy on him.

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by ynwa250505

Can't help but love him ...

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by thebigfredc

Watched Arsenal (my son's team) on the box today for the first time since Wenger left. They certainly played with more elan and passion. Not the finished article yet and as I watched I couldn't help think how well Alexis Sanchez would fit into the new Arsenal. Great local derby btw.

Ray

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by MDS

BBC reporting that Southampton have sacked Mark Hughes. I suppose it was coming. I wonder who they will go for next.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Daveas

After Satuday's game I think the wrong manager has got the sack.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Gavin B
MDS posted:

BBC reporting that Southampton have sacked Mark Hughes. I suppose it was coming. I wonder who they will go for next.

"BBC Sport understands Southampton are set to approach former RB Leipzig manager Ralph Hasenhuttl about the manager's job. "