Football season 2018/19

Posted by: Kevin-W on 15 July 2018

Now the World Cup's over, it's time to turn our attention to the domestic leagues in the UK, Europe, South America and elsewhere...

So here's a thread for all matters pertaining to the 2018/19 season - whether you follow one of the giants like Barca, Real, Juve, Man City or Corinthians; or a non-league side.

All are welcome - and let's hear from followers of smaller clubs, like Harrogate Railway, Sutton United or Tottenham Hotspur.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by MDS
Gavin B posted:
MDS posted:

BBC reporting that Southampton have sacked Mark Hughes. I suppose it was coming. I wonder who they will go for next.

"BBC Sport understands Southampton are set to approach former RB Leipzig manager Ralph Hasenhuttl about the manager's job. "

Never heard of him.  I would have thought Saints need a manager who knows what it takes to get through a relegation fight in the Premier League. Before Xmas they have two very big games: away to Cardiff and Huddersfield. Lose those and the nerves will really start jangling.  

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

Great win against Tottenham yesterday The Terrier was MOM again we’re starting to look like we might have z team that could regain that fourth Champions League spot this season. 

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Mike Hughes
Mike Hughes posted:

The likely only Welsh derby of this season takes place at 8pm on Saturday in the FA Cup. Two good attacking teams. Two good young managers. A free hit for both clubs but especially mine.

So, Leicester at home is the incentive and in the meantime the managerial shenanigans have been quite a shock. Ricketts behaviour has been extraordinary.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

I think tomorrow night's Man United v Arsenal could be a great match for the neutral's Arsenal are on a high and seem to have a self belief lacking in recent seasons and a wounded Man U at home against their old adversary could be very, very dangerous.  I always look forward to playing Man U even though they have had the better of us recently, Alexis Sanchez aside (who should just come home by the way) whatever though should be a great match.

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Christopher_M
MDS posted:
Gavin B posted:

"BBC Sport understands Southampton are set to approach former RB Leipzig manager Ralph Hasenhuttl about the manager's job. "

Never heard of him.  I would have thought Saints need a manager who knows what it takes to get through a relegation fight in the Premier League. Before Xmas they have two very big games: away to Cardiff and Huddersfield. Lose those and the nerves will really start jangling.  

Comment from markthelegendkiddo on BBC HYS on this topic:

"I know a mate called Sammy Allardyci.

Need his number?"

Let's hope not!

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by MDS
Christopher_M posted:
MDS posted:
Gavin B posted:

Need his number?"

Let's hope not!

Big Sam isn't the man for the long term but his track record in surviving relegation fights is impressive, Chris.  The Saints' board are seriously worried about preserving PL status he could be the answer.  Bringing in a manager with no experience of the PL or even English football would also be a gamble.     

MDS posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Need his number?"

Let's hope not!

Big Sam isn't the man for the long term but his track record in surviving relegation fights is impressive, Chris.  The Saints' board are seriously worried about preserving PL status he could be the answer.  Bringing in a manager with no experience of the PL or even English football would also be a gamble.     

Agreed about Big Sam's record. It's just that when Pochettino was appointed as Saints manager nobody had heard of him too. His style was the beginning of the fairly recent good times at Saints. In this respect I'm hoping that Ralph Hasenhuttl can be the new Mauricio Pochettino.

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by MDS

I understand, Chris. These things are always a bit of a gamble. On the positive side your lot have a squad that have more than enough quality to get out of trouble. A new manager just needs to harness it and inject the players with some confidence. 

Thanks Mike.

Meanwhile the website of the local paper reports,  "Southampton are set to announce Ralph Hasenhüttl tomorrow"

(Time was when papers told you what has happened, not what will happen   )

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Tabby cat

Kev,

Great result for your boys down at Cardiff the first back to back wins in 2 years.Well pleased for you mate.Getting Pellagrini was a great appointment.

Well pleased with the City performance at Watford.If it wasn't for Ben Foster's superb saves it could have been 6 goals plus.Leroy Sane is really flying.Just so quick on the wing.A defenders nightmare....then you have got the Silva's,Stirling,Mahrez,Gundogan......ah what a midfield !

https://e1.365dm.com/18/12/768x432/skysports-lucas-perez-west-ham-united_4508976.jpg?20181204210934https://e3.365dm.com/18/12/768x432/promo368225333_4508960.jpg

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Kevin-W

Thanks Ian. It was a great game. If you'd have told me that Perez would score a brace tonight I'd never have believed you. Rice, Diop, Fabianski and Anderson were all top class tonight, and Pellers is a genius.

Up to the giddy heights of 12th! 

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

Pompey six points clear. It’s good to see Jamal Lowe back on the scoresheet, especially as he has gained some weight. 

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by MDS
hungryhalibut posted:

Pompey six points clear. It’s good to see Jamal Lowe back on the scoresheet, especially as he has gained some weight. 

A comfortable win, which compensated for getting pretty wet during the first half due to sitting very close to the pitch but beyond the shelter of the stand. 

Results elsewhere were also quite helpful. Roll on Tuesday night when Charlton visit Fratton Park.

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

I was walking by the sea on Chichester Harbour while the first half was on. It was pissing down and I was totally sodden. At least I wasn’t playing football. 

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by JamieWednesday

Chelsea players celebrate scoring against Manchester City

You’re welcome, rest of the Premier League...

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Kevin-W

One week. Three wins. Nine goals. Nine points.

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

21 games unbeaten for the Gunners under Unai Emery though Huddersfield did what Huddersfeild do and we desended into a slighlty Wengeresque display at times the Terrier had another gut busting display capped by a bicycle kick winner the little Uruguyan is some player.

it will be very interesting to see who Unai brings in in the next few transfer windows and who leaves but he has four maybe even five players to find before we can mount a serious challenge getting into the Champions League will be very important if we are to attract the right players to the club although we do have some very promising young players but whether they make it through remains to be seen.

I'm going to the Europa league match on Thursday night hopefully young Charlie Gilmour from Hove will get on again I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the young players in action.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Tabby cat

Kev,

Wow what a week for your boys and Fulham away on the 15th.Think they should get something there - Hope so.

Mike,

It's looking great for Pompey with the 6 point gap if they keep this form up which I can't see why not it's looking like the championship next season.You must be well pleased.

City had a bad day at the office against Chelski but played well in the first half.Gabriel Jesus was average I thought.He's just not as clinical as the injured Aguero but no excuses Chelsea had a tactical plan and it worked.Pep has always been realistic about picking up defeats along the way this season.I watched the Bournemouth Liverpool game and Mo Salah was awesome just so composed.It's going to be interesting where City and Liverpool are at after Christmas.

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/siteassets/image/match/201819/southendh/southendhaction.jpg/Large

https://e0.365dm.com/18/12/768x432/skysports-felipe-anderson-west-ham-united_4512689.jpg?20181208165108

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by ynwa250505

As Yuletide approaches, spare a thought for the fat man in a red shirt who puts in a shift once a year. Season’s Greetings Romelu Lukaku.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by MDS

Watched the Fulham v WHU game on BT Sport.  Fulham played some neat and pretty football at times but missed the early chances they created and looked fragile at the back for the whole game. The Hammers were pretty much coasting after going two goals up.  Looked like a PL team v Championship team. Ranieri is going to have to weave some very impressive magic if Fulham are to survive. Nice to see Carroll back playing.     

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Kevin-W

12 points from four games, rising up the table. I like this. Let's hope we don't fall apart at some inopportune moment, as we usually do. What seems to be happening at the club bears out my theory, that the best signing we made in the Summer was Pellegrini, who has built a quality team that plays with swashbuckling verve and sets out to entertain.

Yesterday was a masterclass in making the most of chances (we had just three, and scored twice) and then, two up, dominating the game without just sitting behind the ball.

The fans have started chanting Pellers' name too -  last time a manager was bigged up by the crowd was during Slav's first season.

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by MDS

Nice to see things going well for Pellegrini. I think he's one of the 'gentleman-managers'.  

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Tabby cat

Kev - Pellers is a legend pleased your chanting his name.Our favourite song when he was at City was......(keep chanting over and over for 2 mins +)

Sheikh Mansour went to Spain in a Lamborghini,brought us back a manager Manuel Pellegrini !

Well pleased with your Hammers.Things are really settling down now.I think Pellers is getting a feel for the starting 11 and nice to see Andy Carrol come off the bench......Please Andy don't get injured again.....hope he last's to May.Well pleased for Gabriel Jesus scoring a brace against Everton.One of those rare days today, when I wanted United to win.But Liverpool are scraping it out with City.Going to massive when we play them in the New Year.Awesome team and manager in Klopp.

Chris,

Great result with Arsenal you must be a happy bunny tonight.If they keep this form up you might not be joining Pompey in the Championship.

https://res.cloudinary.com/jpress/image/fetch/c_fill,f_auto,h_1148,q_auto:eco,w_1700/https://inews.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/GettyImages-1073811228.jpg

http://1hu9t72zwflj44abyp2h0pfe-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/2018-12-15T134441Z_696056820_RC1B2FE51860_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-ENGLAND-MCI-EVE-1024x619.jpg

https://e1.365dm.com/18/12/768x432/skysports-danny-ings-southampton_4520837.jpg?20181216135851

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Christopher_M

Thank you Ian. I'm just in from work and experiencing something that apparently psychologists and artists call 'joy'. And very, very nice it is too.

Best, C.

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by MDS
Christopher_M posted:

Thank you Ian. I'm just in from work and experiencing something that apparently psychologists and artists call 'joy'. And very, very nice it is too.

Best, C.

That was a stunning result this afternoon, Chris.  The confidence should now flood through the players and fans.  It could be one of those 'season-turning' results. A victory next week away to Huddersfield and the season will suddenly look sunny and Xmas will be fun.