Football Season 2017/18

Posted by: Kevin-W on 11 July 2017

As requested by Steve (Paper Plane) on the 16/17 thread, here's a new one for 2017/18. All leagues/divisions welcome.

Come on you Irons!

Posted on: 03 August 2017 by Christopher_M

Absolutely Hook. BBC news were saying yesterday that (I paraphrase) this is as much about the state of Qatar flexing its financial muscles to its neighbours as it is about football.

Posted on: 03 August 2017 by MDS
Tabby cat posted:

Neymar !

The personification of the game being a wash with money.

Awesome player - but £40 million a year salary WTF !

Hopefully that will now enable him to afford to pay for a proper haircut.

Posted on: 03 August 2017 by Christopher_M
MDS posted:
Tabby cat posted:

Neymar !

The personification of the game being a wash with money.

Awesome player - but £40 million a year salary WTF !

Hopefully that will now enable him to afford to pay for a proper haircut.

But that could spell the end for his bandana when he's in mufti.

Posted on: 04 August 2017 by Romi

I think Neymar will earn approx £650,000.00 per week.  I wonder if an alien came to earth and saw that a footballer earns a lot more then a Prime Minister or a  medical surgeon, what would it think about the priorities of mankind?

Posted on: 04 August 2017 by kittybag

They would rightly conclude that much of the world has got its priorities entirely wrong but you don't need to be an alien to see that.

Posted on: 04 August 2017 by sjbabbey

Wow, Litherland REMYCA are playing AFC Liverpool (a local derby) just over the road from Bootle Golf course in the preliminary round of the FA Cup tomorrow and it's being streamed live on the BBC Sport website!

Sort of brings things back down to earth.

Posted on: 05 August 2017 by sjbabbey

Score Flash!

Litherland 1 AFC Liverpool 0

First goal in this year's F.A. Cup competition.

Posted on: 05 August 2017 by sjbabbey

Score Flash!

Litherland 2 AFC Liverpool 0 (Lennon Whewell)

Great lobbed goal

BBC Commentator

"Best goal of the Cup so far!"

Posted on: 05 August 2017 by MDS

Good first day of the season at Fratton Park today. New owner there, capacity crowd (18,000), 2-0 win with the classy-looking new striker, Brett Pitman, getting both.  Team a bit disjointed at times but looked solid at the back.

I'm happy tonight.    

Posted on: 05 August 2017 by Penarth Blues
MDS posted:

Good first day of the season at Fratton Park today. New owner there, capacity crowd (18,000), 2-0 win with the classy-looking new striker, Brett Pitman, getting both.  Team a bit disjointed at times but looked solid at the back.

I'm happy tonight.    

Are you coming to Cardiff on Tuesday for the Carabao Cup game? We never turn up for the cup any more so you should see another win. I'd like to wish you well for the season but still feeling a bit cheated by the FA Cup Final we lost to you...

Posted on: 06 August 2017 by MDS
Penarth Blues posted:
MDS posted:

I'm happy tonight.    

Are you coming to Cardiff on Tuesday for the Carabao Cup game? We never turn up for the cup any more so you should see another win. I'd like to wish you well for the season but still feeling a bit cheated by the FA Cup Final we lost to you...

I don't think we have any more interest in that cup than your lot, PB, though Warnock-manged clubs always seem hard to beat. That cup final feels a long time ago given how far we fell in the intervening years. Kanu is still a hero at the club, in part because of that cup-winning goal.

See your lot nicked a good away win at Burton yesterday.     

Posted on: 06 August 2017 by Bob the Builder

Arsenal beat chelsea in the first ABBA shoot out. I don't usually watch pre season but enjoyed watching the Gooners master Chelsea AGAIN!!

thebigfredc posted:

Can't believe Ozil still gets a game - how many seasons will it take before Wenger realises Ozils not suited to English football. 

Mesut Ozil is a master and will win the premier league title with Arsenaln 2017 - 2018.

Posted on: 06 August 2017 by JamieWednesday

Very disappointed in Chelsea. We look a bit lightweight, there's no menace about us. And I still can't see why we swapped out Czech to keep Courtois!

JamieWednesday posted:

Very disappointed in Chelsea. We look a bit lightweight, there's no menace about us. And I still can't see why we swapped out Czech to keep Courtois!

Eden Hazard!

Posted on: 06 August 2017 by JamieWednesday

By menace, I mean a grizzly hard case, not a fleet footed flyweight...

Posted on: 09 August 2017 by Christopher_M

Ian, Phil McNulty of the Beeb has City as Champions. Saints 14th, which will not go down well round here!

C.

Posted on: 10 August 2017 by Suzy Wong
Christopher_M posted:

Ian, Phil McNulty of the Beeb has City as Champions. Saints 14th, which will not go down well round here!

C.

Not surprising. The other teams are moving on, and what are Saints doing.........a new manager (again), a "replacement" for Van Dyke and a one midfielder......

Posted on: 11 August 2017 by Kevin-W

Blimey - the Goons v Foxes game must be an absolute belter - 4-3 now.

Posted on: 11 August 2017 by MDS
Kevin-W posted:

Blimey - the Goons v Foxes game must be an absolute belter - 4-3 now.

Yeah. What a cracking first game? Arsenal looking fragile at the back. Don't like being pressured when they play it out. But good going forward. Must say Wenger got the subs right. Foxes will feel hard done by, scoring three goals away from home and getting nothing.  

Posted on: 12 August 2017 by Bob the Builder

Well it wasn't pleasant to watch at times last night but as a game of football it had everything. Lets hope Koscielny and Mustafi dont get injured to often because their back up looked a bit shaky, lets hope some new defenders arrive.
Lacazette was great again as was Kolasinac as always going forward we looked good lets hope Sanchez decides to stay.

And the atmosphere in the ground at the end was as good as I have experienced at the Emirates.

Posted on: 12 August 2017 by VladtheImpala

What the heck is going on in the PL? 13 goals in two games!

Looking forward to Everton's first game, being broadcast on Talksport 2 at the moment, even though the two Europa League games were very lacklustre.

COYB!

Vlad 

As a I live in Brighton have a bit of a soft spot for the Seagulls and wish them luck ( I think they are going to need it ) against Man City later on. I read a quote from Johnathan Pearce that said Man City just have spent more on full backs that it cost Brighton & Hove Albion to build their stadium The Amex.

9 man Chelsea down 3-1 to Burnley although Morata has scored on his debut.