Football Season 2017/18

Posted by: Kevin-W on 11 July 2017

As requested by Steve (Paper Plane) on the 16/17 thread, here's a new one for 2017/18. All leagues/divisions welcome.

Come on you Irons!

Posted on: 12 August 2017 by JamieWednesday

Depressing, although the fight back in 2nd half at least showed some spark. Why Batshit was playing instead of Morata is a mystery.

Posted on: 12 August 2017 by Suzy Wong
Suzy Wong posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Ian, Phil McNulty of the Beeb has City as Champions. Saints 14th, which will not go down well round here!

C.

Not surprising. The other teams are moving on, and what are Saints doing.........a new manager (again), a "replacement" for Van Dyke and a one midfielder......

And the result being..............taking up the last slot on MotD this evening!

Posted on: 12 August 2017 by Christopher_M
Suzy Wong posted:
Suzy Wong posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Ian, Phil McNulty of the Beeb has City as Champions. Saints 14th, which will not go down well round here!

C.

Not surprising. The other teams are moving on, and what are Saints doing.........a new manager (again), a "replacement" for Van Dyke and a one midfielder......

And the result being..............taking up the last slot on MotD this evening!

Seems possible that my duck (wearing red bib) to avoid a clattering as Swans' Martin Olsson came over the barrier could provide the highlight in a lacklustre game.

Saints have a new manager but the same problems. Yet I'm heartened. They are at least showing intent and creating chances.

Posted on: 12 August 2017 by Kevin-W

So, Huddersfield top of the Prem tonight. Well done to the Terriers!

Posted on: 12 August 2017 by Chris Dolan

..... but it hasn't started yet 

Posted on: 13 August 2017 by Bob the Builder

My brother was at the Brighton match yesterday and he said that each and every supporter there was happy with 2-0 and it was like watching a football equivalent to the 'Alamo.' I suppose they won't be playing Man City each week but they were a bit negative it was like watching an FA Cup tie between a non League and Premiership side.

I know it was 'only' Crystal Palace but look what Huddersfield and then Burnley did with a positive attitude yesterday. If Brighton give one half the table that much respect and try and nick points from teams in the bottom half then I think they might come unstuck!

Anyway great start to the new season lets hope for lots more of the same (accept Arsenal's shaky back three.)

Posted on: 13 August 2017 by Tabby cat

Bob,

I attended the Brighton game also and thought Brighton played Ok they parked the bus defense wise but it was only a matter of time for the sheer quility of our midfield to unlock them .They did look dangerous for 10 mins before Aguero scored.Thought Kompany and Carl Walker looked good at the back.KDB and Silva where brilliant.

Great atmosphere in the ground - hope Brighton stay up as they have a nice stadium and City.Weather was perfect and as always it was great to be with the City away supporters and had a good few beers in Brighton and in the stadium.Just magic when the players applauded us at full time.

Great to see Rooney score on his return to Everton - his goal celebration said it all - loads of emotion flooding out.

Posted on: 13 August 2017 by Kevin-W

Yes! We're bottom of the League! A pretty abysmal performance by everyone on the pitch. Spineless! Sort it out Slav!

Posted on: 13 August 2017 by MDS
Kevin-W posted:

Yes! We're bottom of the League! A pretty abysmal performance by everyone on the pitch. Spineless! Sort it out Slav!

Keep it in perspective, Kevin. You were away to a massive club with realistic title ambitions.  Now, if you had got stuffed at home by the bookies favourites for relegation you'd have reason to worry. My sympathies are with the Palace fans.  

Posted on: 13 August 2017 by JamieWednesday

Level on points with Chelsea.

Posted on: 13 August 2017 by SeattleNaim
thebigfredc posted:

Yes looking forward to September and the start of the season.

I fancy a Dallas v Atlanta super bowl this year.

Ray

Dallas and Atlanta are both in the NFC.   This a Super Bowl that can't and won't happen.   Besides, the Seattle Seahawks are going back to the Super Bowl to redeem themselves vs. New England.  Dallas also lost Ezekiel Elliot for 6 games due to his beating his girlfriend.  

Posted on: 16 August 2017 by Christopher_M

Kev, Are you heading to the south coast on Saturday?

Posted on: 16 August 2017 by Kevin-W
Christopher_M posted:

Kev, Are you heading to the south coast on Saturday?

Hi Chris, I am - but not to Southampton sadly. We have a family do in Brighton!

Posted on: 20 August 2017 by Kevin-W

Well, we emain firmly rooted to the bottom of the PL, but at least there were some positives from yesterday's performance (not Arnie's stupidity, which probably cost us the game). Hernandez was great, but Fonte is hopeless and must be dropped. Sort it out, Slav!

Posted on: 21 August 2017 by JamieWednesday
We beat Spurs. Just like the old days...
Posted on: 26 August 2017 by Tabby cat

Brilliant City result.

Sat there with a mate watching on Sky.He detests Raheem Stirling and for a good 70 mins he took great delight in saying how useless he is.I responded by saying that he sores goals at the end of the day,always puts a full shift in.Pep has definitely improved his game .....my mate...still useless.....10 mins later Stirling scores..... Beautiful.....

What's happening at the Hammers Kev ?

Start of the season thought it was going to be an ok campaign.Early days but something's not right.

Posted on: 26 August 2017 by Kevin-W
Tabby cat posted:

What's happening at the Hammers Kev ?

Start of the season thought it was going to be an ok campaign.Early days but something's not right.

I've no dea Ian, but something is wrong. Why do all these players come to us and then suddenly becomr crap?

I hear Mancini is looking for a job, and we might be able to tempt Rafa away from The Barcodes...

Posted on: 27 August 2017 by Christopher_M

After Liverpool's 4-0 tonking of Arsenal today, imagine if they they were to sign Virgil van Dijk too.

Posted on: 27 August 2017 by MDS

Arsenal looked in more need of a defender than Liverpool.

Posted on: 27 August 2017 by Christopher_M

Droll Mike.

Posted on: 27 August 2017 by SeattleNaim

Gunners in need of a manager!  

Posted on: 27 August 2017 by Hook
Christopher_M posted:

After Liverpool's 4-0 tonking of Arsenal today, imagine if they they were to sign Virgil van Dijk too.

Was thinking the same thing today. Will help getting Lallana and Clyne back from injuries. Will also help getting Coutinho's situation settled. Salah looks like a solid addition. Definitely the best LFC squad since Suarez left, and a lot of fun to watch. Now if they could only figure out the keeper. Karius was ok, but just - a few too many moments of indecision. Only reason he got a clean sheet today was that Arsenal didn't manage a single shot on goal!

Posted on: 30 August 2017 by Christopher_M

I find myself looking on simultaneously bemused, perplexed, excited, in awe* at LFC at the moment, and paying them far too much interest for a Saints fan. I read of the £40M signing of the man who was called Ox-Champs when he was at Saints. But this is easily eclipsed with the Reds' record signing of Naby Keita for next season.

Meanwhile Southampton FC insist that VvD is not for sale. It's going to be an interesting few days...

* and then I pinch myself and tell myself that Saints comprehensively outplayed Liverpool over two legs in last season's League Cup semi final. Luckily Sadio Mané was on international duty at the time.

Posted on: 31 August 2017 by Christopher_M

I meant an interesting few hours....

Posted on: 31 August 2017 by Hook

Based on his Arsenal days, am not getting the Ox signing. Maybe he'll do better in a new setting, or maybe LFC now has an expensive bench player.

The next few hours should be interesting, and no clue how the VvD situation will play out. I do suspect that Coutinho will be gone by end of day (or tomorrow when the Spanish transfer window closes).

Am not a true LFC supporter, but I do like the way they are now playing under Klopp. They are usually fun to watch, and all of their matches are broadcast this side of the pond. Feel the same way about Barca and Dortmund. Of course, my true allegiance is now pledged to the future MLS champs, the mighty Minnesota United. Go Loons!