SuperLine Loading Thread.

Posted by: Julian H on 26 April 2008

Since there are now a few SUPERLINE's about and many are expecting them shortly I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where we could all contribute our experiences.

Please keep all discussions on topic. The ultimate intention is to have a database of users opinion for each of the various cartridges being used.
Posted on: 08 September 2009 by Laurie Saunders
Mails?

laurie
Posted on: 14 September 2009 by blackforest
hi
the nf-plug thing is rather confusing. besides the fact that one critic wrote that these plugs are not necessary at all because MCs are not influenced by theses plugs.

in short - what these plugs do to the design of the superline? i understand that 100pf (=naked) is the smallest value.

do you use these plugs as a tonecontrol to trim bass/treble?

thanks a lot in advance:
+bf
Posted on: 23 September 2009 by Vidar P
I just received a new Audio Technica AT33EV, which seems to be a great cartridge for Naim sound enthusiasts btw, installed in my Aro instead of my regular XV-1S.

LP12/Lingo2/Aro->Superline->552->300->KEF 207/2.

To say I was uplifted by the sound of this cartridge is a great understatement. Seems to me it must be one of the greatest bargains ever for Aro arms in a Naim system. I honestly doesn't miss the XV-1S, of which I never really became a big enthusiast, truth to tell.

I've tried 100R, 220R and 453R loads in the Superline. Anyone tried AT33 in this phonostage and can comment on their load findings?
Posted on: 15 November 2009 by kuma
Here's my update on the Miyabi/47 loading.

Thanks to Andy who's another SuperLine owner ( who does not post here often. He's too shy. Smile ), I was able to experiment on various loading on the cartridge without the use of a soldering gun.
The pix blow is what he made up. Basically he soldered cartridge pins on the end of DIN pins.

Then, he sent along various generic resistors of different values.

All I had to do was to cut them and bend.
Insert them into the cartridge plugs.

Insert rubber tubing so that the pins don't touch the metal housing. Give it a gentle push and secure with a screw.

we weren't sure of the effect of having an *adapter* like this because of chattering and I suspect it adds an extra impedance to the signal chain.
There is a clearly audible distortion heard with this method, yet when I cycled through different resistors I was able to determine a close proximity of value I wanted to be in.

Even the stock plugs sound more open and noise free, I have been able to get a proper midrange presence from the SuperLine out of the Miyabi/47.
Even with an added noise and slight congestions caused by the tabs, I was able to lock in the desired loading.
The experimental plug did not use a Naim Preh ( it was a Flashback DIN on the left ) and different solder was used.

The one on the right is the final made up *kosher* Naim plug using factory parts.
The listening to both plugs suggests that the loading is still correct but the real one is free of artifacts and distortion so this solder-less method worked out quite well for me.

The final value for the Miyabi/47 is 300R/no cap. But I still continue to plug it to the Capacitive socket.

I thought I would share this experiment with you all, particularly for those who don't have an access to a soldering gun.

Thanks andy for this great idea and now I am done! Big Grin

Needless to say, after 1.5 year later, I am extremely happy with the performance of the little SL and now with the Supercap and Hiline4/5, it's singing better than ever.
Posted on: 15 November 2009 by Cymbiosis
Excellent Kuma and a good idea, allowing for easier locking in on the best values for a cartidge Smile

Glad you soldered up the final one though as the quality of contact/connection is just so important with the loading plugs!

Kind regards,

Peter
Posted on: 15 November 2009 by kuma
quote:
Originally posted by Cymbiosis:
Glad you soldered up the final one though as the quality of contact/connection is just so important with the loading plugs!

Very much this is an important point I have to stress.
Having cartridge tabs in a sensitive area as DIN pins, you get the same type of distortion as you would use any adaptors. So, going in, we knew it will not sound *clean* per se. But the overall presentation you get from a closer loading even with a compromised plug remains.

This stand-in plug is only to determine the correct *in bewteen* values not provided with Naim stock resistor plugs and the final one is still need to be made up with proper parts and care.
Posted on: 16 November 2009 by glevethan
Kuma

If you get the chance email me at greggatlevethandotcom

Gregg
Posted on: 16 November 2009 by Julian H
And the plug outer fixing strip and middle pin can be removed too. I am sure Kuma knows this though.
Posted on: 16 November 2009 by kuma
munch,

Yeah. I thought about it but wanted to keep the plug somewhat like the ones NANA/ASL supplies ( which also has a rubber housing around it ).

Not sure what's the consequence of resistors touching the metal casing. I am probably already pushing my luck posting this *semi-modding* post. :x

Julian,

The pix does not show well, but my friend has removed the middle pin. ( Impressive. He's been observant ) Smile
Posted on: 17 November 2009 by BigH47
If you want an almost "nude" arrangement use a covering of heat shrink, lightly shrunk down insulate the bare wires of the resistors or capacitors, and the pins.
Posted on: 17 November 2009 by Julian H
quote:
Originally posted by BigH47:
If you want an almost "nude" arrangement use a covering of heat shrink, lightly shrunk down insulate the bare wires of the resistors or capacitors, and the pins.

This absolutely was the best solution for me without spending out on an Airplug. However, ensuring the pins slide in absolutely parallel with no resistance and at the correct spacing is essential to enure no load transference from the resistor legs to the alignment of the pins in the socket. Lack of care here can ruin the results. Oh, and no heat shrink required!
Posted on: 15 December 2009 by FangfossFlyer
I still have not tried an Airplug but just wondering if anyone has tried one and then gone back to the standard Naim plug in preference?

Richard
Posted on: 16 December 2009 by Cymbiosis
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Olsen: I still have not tried an Airplug but just wondering if anyone has tried one and then gone back to the standard Naim plug in preference?

Richard

Not that I am aware of Richard.

Peter
Posted on: 16 December 2009 by FangfossFlyer
Ah Peter I was wondering if you would reply...

As I keep saying I must eventualy try these Airplugs but I am spending my pennies on a trade in / replacement cartridge (mine is a bit long in the tooth) then we will see if a dare buy a Hiline and get it chopped up!

Richard
quote:
Originally posted by munch:
Frank Richard uses the Akiva.

Yes and a mighty fine cartridge it is too.

And I believe that Linn do an excellent trade in worth £800 against a new one!

Back to the thread...and with the Akiva I use a loading of 576R + 1nF on my SL and on a recent home dem of the Urika I prefered the SL, although the Urika has something....

Richard
Posted on: 16 December 2009 by Julian H
Try the Urika with a HiLine Richard
Posted on: 16 December 2009 by glevethan
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Olsen:
Back to the thread...and with the Akiva I use a loading of 576R + 1nF on my SL and on a recent home dem of the Urika I prefered the SL, although the Urika has something....
Richard

Many in the shop I frequent use the Akiva - and many, after the demo, preferred the same phono stage that you do Smile

But - to quote you further - "the Urika has something..."

Gregg
quote:
Originally posted by Julian H:
Try the Urika with a HiLine Richard

One day....

Whilst I really prefered my SL over the Urika during a recent afternoon/evening home dem I have a plan to, when I have replaced my cartridge and it is well run in, borrow a Urika'ed LP12 for a week or so to really live with it.

Then when I return it either one of three things will happen:

1. I will be so glad to have the SL back (and maybe then go for Airplugs?)
2. I will miss the Urika and therefore consider repalcing the SL
3. Wish I had never tried as I want the best of both worlds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Eyes

But in the meantime the music just flows and flows with the SL in my system....it is a real joy!

Richard

p.s. Does the Urika use the same Hiline as between my SCap and NAC?
Posted on: 16 December 2009 by Julian H
Nope, its a phono to DIN.
Posted on: 16 December 2009 by Cymbiosis
quote:
Originally posted by Frank F:
Well I can't really mention my Dark Side experience here but it is not with a Urika!!

Best not to, unless you're into soldering irons Frank Winker I can't mention my Urika vs Superline stats either...........!

KR

Peter
Posted on: 17 December 2009 by FangfossFlyer
quote:
Originally posted by Cymbiosis:
......I can't mention my Urika vs Superline stats either...........!

We can only guess and speculate.......
Posted on: 17 December 2009 by andrew jameson
As a Superline / Supercap / Hi-line owner I too have been much intrigued by the Urika

Had an extended dem this week with my LP12 Keel Radikal XV1S against identical Urika-ed deck. The SL/SC certainly sounded mighty fine but for me (and I was surprised I have to say) I preferred the Urika by some margin. I found that the Urika drew me into the music more compelling - in comparison the SL/SC sounded somewhat veiled / compressed and somehow less real ... I was much more conscious of listening to 'a hi-fi system' with the SL. The only clear SL/SC advantage that I could discern was that the Naim combo threw a rather larger soundstage but use of a Powerline on the Radikal significantly enhanced the Urika's performance here such that it became a non issue for me

So it looks like my £5.5k phono stage is going to have to go in the second system - can't believe it!

Andy
Posted on: 17 December 2009 by Julian H
Welcome to the club Andrew. Just keep £500 back for the 2phono to DIN HiLine!
Posted on: 17 December 2009 by glevethan
quote:
Originally posted by andrew jameson:
I found that the Urika drew me into the music more compelling - in comparison the SL/SC sounded somewhat veiled / compressed

Yes - many of us who did the demo at my dealer also found the Urika drawing us in. The problem was that on certain tracks it was the one which veiled and compressed things. The Linn trait of "playing the tune" was always there - and was tempting me to make the switch - however I (and others) could not forgive it for "ruining" (maybe too strong a word) certain tracks. Great phono stage though - and a bargain when purchased with the Radikal. At the end though it was the SuperLine.

Gregg
Posted on: 17 December 2009 by Julian H
Hi Gregg

I noticed that when I first had the Urika, a sort of "over-loading" feeling. I reported on several of my early posts that I felt occasionally it seemed tonally wrong or hard/compressed. These traits have definetely gone away the few months I have had it. As I said before to Andy, try with a HiLine too.

Julian