Naim DAC – a dealers initial perpective

Posted by: Rodborough on 20 December 2009

Having now had the new Naim DAC for almost two weeks I thought I would share some initial thoughts on something that is for me at least still very much a work in progress, it is a shame that the release has been delayed causing it’s appearance at one of the busiest times for dealers even in normal circumstances and this combined with the immanent increase in VAT to 17.5% next month has exacerbated this situation somewhat.

After allowing a few hours for the new DAC to acclimatise, always a danger of condensation when new equipment arrives in this extremely cold weather, but this gave me time to assemble all the necessary paraphernalia, just as well we had the Naim DC1 in all three versions RCA – RCA, RCA – BNC & BNC – BNC, also to hand was the CD5XS (BNC digital out), CDX2/2 (BNC digital out), HDX (RCA digital out), Linn Sneaky & Majik DS, Apple iPod, iPhone & MacBook, some Naim Powerline’s & HiLine’s and XPS2 & CD555PS.

It seemed a good idea to start off with the CD5XS, into the DAC using the Naim DC1 (BNC – BNC), it has to be said that the sound was pretty aggressive, not unlike the old CDX on acid, common with brand new Naim that is neither burnt in, run in or warmed up, but after only a few minutes it begun to improve/calm down but I could not resist a quick comparison between CD5XS & CDX2/2 and was not totally surprised that there was not much between them at this point, I thought perhaps at the very least an overnight with music running through it might provide a better opportunity to make some more meaningful comparisons.

The next day the Naim DAC was transformed but I decided to begin with a straight comparison of CD5XS versus CDX2/2, using standard mains cables & interconnects, these are after all the best 5 series and CDX variants to date and both performed extremely well through our reference system with the CDX2/2 being the clear winner, although on a personal note I do find that the CDX2/2 can tilt a little in the direction of a slightly forward presentation to achieve higher levels of detail.

Via the Naim DC1 (BNC – BNC) the new DAC was added to the CD5XS the improvement was breathtaking it brought out all of the detail whilst preserving the CD5XS units very musical sound and was a clear winner over the CDX2/2, to be fair to the CDX2/2 it does cost a little more CD5XS/DAC £3700.00, CDX2/2 £3,250.00 (VAT @ 15%), but in my view the best £450.00 extra it would be possible to invest, given the many other benefits the DAC is going to bring to future system development.

The next obvious step was to connect the DAC to the CDX2/2 once again a breathtaking improvement and slightly better than the CD5XS/DAC, in this configuration the CDX2/2 with DAC comes out at £5,200.00, £1,500.00 more than the CD5XS, not quite enough to add an XPS2 but certainly enough to add a HiLine and a Powerline to the DAC bringing the CD5XS/DAC/PowerLine/HiLine combination to £4,650.00 against the CDX2/2/DAC at £5,200.00 and now the CD5XS was the clear winner, and of course these benefits (adding HiLine & PowerLine) are shared by any other source components now running through the DAC.

Naturally the next step was to connect the CDX2/2 to the now slightly upgraded DAC and once again the CDX2/2 stamped its authority as the slightly superior combination, adding the PowerLine & HiLine to the DAC raisers the price stakes of this combination to £6,150.00 so my next experiment was to remove the PowerLine & HiLine and add an XPS2 to the CD5XS/DAC combination this being just £400.00 more at £6,550.00 and once again the CD5XS/DAC/XPS2 combination was the clear winner over the CDX2/2/DAC/Powerline/HiLine combination at £6,150.00 and a trend was beginning to emerge. Whilst in standalone operation the CDX2/2 is a superior CD player to the CD5XS the introduction into the mix of the Naim DAC has a levelling affect even though the CDX2/2 always comes out slightly ahead, that £1,500.00 price advantage that the CD5XS has though, if carefully invested in upgrades to the DAC, brings about advantages not only to the replay of CDs but of course to any other source components utilising the Naim DAC, I concluded my experiments through the following combinations:

CDX2/2/DAC/XPS2 (£8,050.00) versus CD5XS/DAC/XPS2/PowerLine/HiLine (£7,500.00)

CDX2/2/DAC/XPS2/PowerLine/HiLine (£9,000.00) versus CD5XS/DAC/CD555PS [PowerLine included]/S-XPS Burndy (£8,945.00)

CDX2/2/DAC/CD555PS [PowerLine included]/S-XPS Burndy (£10,445.00) versus CD5XS/DAC/CD555PS [PowerLine included]/S-XPS Burndy, HiLine (£9,500.00)

Up until this point the CD5XS combinations were often less expensive and yet superior, of course usually the XPS2 & CD555PS power supplies in former pre DAC days were upgrades available only to the CDX variants and would place them into a much higher league than any of the 5 series CD players adding the DAC however now makes these upgrades available to the CD5XS as well.

Having now taken the CD5XS to its current highest level of potential upgrades all that was now left to do was to connect the CDX2/2 to the fully upgraded DAC and the edge that the CDX2/2 had enjoyed throughout made it the best possible combination coming in at £11,000.00 over the CD5XS at £9,500.00.

I have gone back to this when time has permitted over the past couple of weeks and although the DAC continues to improve it has no affect upon the above results.

A reshuffle of the demonstrations rooms here has now taken the DAC off the reference system and into our mid to high-end room so that work could continue by introducing the NaimUnity, HDX/DAC, Linn DS/DAC, even iPod & MacBook/DAC into the equation and I will write more on that later in the thread.

I hope that’s helpful anyway

Warmest regards

Norman
Partner - UHES
Posted on: 22 December 2009 by Roy T
My Norman inspired bookmarks overfloweth, keep up the good work.
Posted on: 22 December 2009 by Milo Tweenie
quote:
Originally posted by Cymbiosis:

LOL! Yes Milo could/should!

Peter

I'm already booked in. Cool
Posted on: 22 December 2009 by Cymbiosis
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Stephenson:
retailers have to protect themselves and here is not the place for this standing on the fence without looking soppy.
As for the ds in front well no standing on fences here as you can imagine... not in our book. Just like the good ole daysSmile

Indeed Paul and again, I'm not sitting on any fences as I have my hands full with vinyl related work. Smile But the DS Vs DAC stats are honours even! The members need to go and listen for themselves.

BTW. Happy Christmas! The S600s have arrived thank you Big Grin

Pity I have tennis elbow from setting up LP12s and I did my back in over the weekend! Frown I want a holiday!!!
Red Face

KR

Peter
Posted on: 22 December 2009 by BigH47
quote:
Pity I have tennis elbow from setting up LP12s and I did my back in over the weekend!

Are the LP12s fighting back now? Big Grin
Posted on: 22 December 2009 by Gary S.
I think you will find there is going to be quite a lot of 'sitting on the fence'. Few, if any Naim dealers are likely to post their true opinion on the Linn DS on this forum are they?

What I want to know is how do you do a true comparrison anyway? The Linn is a streamer and the DAC is.... well a DAC.

Gary
Posted on: 22 December 2009 by Rodborough
Hi apologies for the delay, will post later on tonight, sheer pressure of workload, must dash and the Ovators have just arrived thanks very much Naim! Off to install a 552/555 and I am running late <yikes>

Warmest regards

Norman
Partner - UHES
Posted on: 22 December 2009 by Phil Mulvaney
Hi everyone
Now that we've been able to do real world dems and chat to our customers about their feelings, I don't think that there is any "fence sitting" going on.
As Peter has said, both our sales and general opinion are running 50-50. It may be a boring conclusion but both products reflect their parentage as one would suspect. It comes as no surprise therefore that preferred choices are reasonably quickly made.
The Linns are very detailed and musical (following the tune?) but perhaps "laid back" compared to the expected "prat" presentation of the Naim.
I find each to be a fantastic listen and think that we should be extremely grateful that two British companies are offering us all a choice in this emerging technology. Congratulations to both as far as I'm concerned.
One interesting point that has come out of our dems so far is that those who preferred the Naim DAC also liked the idea of using the i-Pod touch as a control point, as used with the Linn DS set-up.
An easy answer here is to use two i-Pod Touchs, one as a renderer and one as the control point. The only issue here, as I understand it, being that this method only allows replay of files up to 48khz. So to get similar control with file sizes above this, you may need to look at the Squeezebox Duet. I'm afraid we can't offer a comment as we haven't tried this as yet.
Hope this isn't seen as more fence sitting and the advice, as always, is get over to your dealer and have a listen for yourself.
Either way, you're in for a treat!

Phil, Cymbiosis
Hi Stu

Thought somebody may ask that question Smile

Yes I have tried it with our Mac and it was very, very good. Was it better than the L***y? And is it worth paying the extra for the DAC? In my opinion, yes on both counts.
Of course it also offers the usual upgrade options and I have to say here, that with a 555PS it is absolutely stunning!
For anyone with an HDX and 555PS, I recommend trying the DAC with a 555PS on the end of the HDX - fantastic.
One of my customers who has the HDX/555PS thought that the the PS was an amazing upgrade but was absolutely shocked to the core (pleasantly Smile) when heard the above combination and placed his order immediately. That's the best proof there is.
You have to try the DAC, Stu. Sorry!

Phil, Cymbiosis
Posted on: 22 December 2009 by Guido Fawkes
Phil - how does it (Naim DAC, of course - sorry not really interested in the Linn DS) sound using a less expensive CD transport than a CDX2-2, for example a Rega Apollo.

Also be interested in how it sounds with a Logitech SB Touch - which seems an inexpensive way of streaming Internet Radio and music that is only available by download into the DAC?

Thanks Rotf
Hi Rotf

Afraid I can't answer that question just yet as we haven't been able to try all the possible combinations, as the DAC has been tied up in our current customer dems and time is also in short supply at this time of year.
Will definitely get round to some extended listening of other combinations in the new year.
Will keep you posted.

Phil, Cymbiosis
Stu
If I remember our diary correctly for tomorrow, I'll be lucky if I get time to make a cup of tea, never mind get out!

Merry Christmas Smile

Phil
Posted on: 22 December 2009 by Mr Underhill
Dear Norman,

Thank you for all the effort you have put into trying various combinations of kit, and answering questions that have been occuring to lots of us I am sure.

Got to say I AM playing with the idea of buying an iPod Touch if I decide to buy the Naim DAC. I am interested in streaming Spotify so that I can preview well reviewed / recommended recordings prior to purchase. Your observations were very pertinent for me.

Have a great Christmas - and hopefully a VERY prosperous New Year.

M
Posted on: 22 December 2009 by Rodborough
Ok coffee made let’s move on to the Linn DS units, only two have digital outputs; the Sneaky DS, & Majik DS so rather like the Naim CD Players where only the new CD5XS and CDX2/2 have digital outputs I can only report on these two in conjunction with the new Naim DAC.

If I may just as an aside I would like to just take a little time to thank a number of our customers for their invaluable help some of whom brought incredible “computer” expertise and others who worked through with us the very steep learning curve that we have undergone getting the very best out of the Linn DS variants over the past couple of years. I would particularly like to thank Richard Hemming who together with Ian have worked through many of the networking & software issues that if not properly addressed can cause a Linn to perform way off the pace, Gary & Jill Slade and Paul Harding whose help was invaluable in addressing the many issues that can come up with new installs, Jeremy Marchant, Dennis & Ann Morgan, Richard Barnett & Miles Wachter for lending their experienced musical ear to developments.

By now the new Naim DAC had around 5 – 6 days of continuous use and was still improving I made a start with the Linn Sneaky DS (Cara 4 Software), Ian had helpfully disabled all the unnecessary elements such as pre & power amps etc. within the Sneaky and connected it to the DAC using the RCA – BNC Naim DC1. The combination was extraordinary and quite difficult to believe possible at under £3k (Sneaky DS £975, DAC £1,950) even on the 16/44.1 files, moving up to 24/96 and once again the DAC really shone once the HD LED illuminated.

It occurred to me that this would be one of the many inexpensive solutions for adding Digital Streaming capabilities, that would suit a CD based system such as a CDX2/2 so there could be the very real possibility that either an XPS2 or even CD555PS could be in place that had been moved over to the DAC from originally powering the CDX2/2 so I set about going through all of the possible upgrades and the benefits of every upgrade was clearly discernable whilst streaming music through the Sneaky DS

Day 7 for the DAC now, still improving, so now time to swap the Sneaky DS for a Majik DS (Cara 4 software & Dynamik PSU upgrade), Ian had again disabled any unnecessary functions within the DS, and was connected once again to the DAC using the RCA – BNC Naim DC1. It was a major step up from the Sneaky DS, but then it is £1,800.00, through the new Naim DAC (Bare) it was capable of seriously good music making somehow combining the vinyl like leanings of the Majik DS with the Naim PRaT doubtless being added by the Naim DAC stepping up from 16/44.1 to 24/96 once again had a dramatic impact as indeed did adding back in all the possible upgrades to the DAC and the Majik DS truly demonstrated what an awesome piece of kit this new DAC from Naim is.

In conclusion then, I think it can only be possible to say that the new Naim DAC is a triumph, quite lowly, in hi fi terms, pieces of equipment from Sonos, Logitek and Apple iPod/Touch/Phones will never have sounded better and be prepared to be astonished, how very good they do sound, the Naim DAC is not however a miracle worker and it can’t turn a sow’s ear into a silk purse in the case of these. However, I have been totally gob smacked by what it has been possible to achieve from entry level products such as the Naim CD5XS, an Apple MacBook which I heard only this morning playing back apparently much better CD “rips” and 24/96 files and this is mental through the new DAC and the Sneaky DS.

Step it up a gear to the CDX2/2, HDX & Majik DS if you really want to hear what this thing is capable of. For sure it’s going to have a major impact and tosses a large rock into our rather small pool and the ripples are going to spread far and wide.

Well I finally found an opening in my diary to complete my initial findings albeit between 02:00 & 02:50 am and sorry once again that it has been delayed, now I must turn my attention to the newly arrived S-600 Ovators and of course my customers.

Warmest regards

Norman
Partner - UHES
Posted on: 23 December 2009 by T38.45
Dear Norman,
again many thanks for your efforts and your impressions! Very helpful!
Wish you great holiday and relax now:-)
regards ralf
Posted on: 23 December 2009 by meissmar
Thank you so very much for your very helpful and informative posts!
Posted on: 23 December 2009 by Gordon McGlade
quote:
Originally posted by munch:
Phil,
Pop down the road to Argos/Tesco/Currys/Commet tomorrow and get the cheapest Alba or such like CDP and plug it into the DAC and tell us what it sounds like please????
If the hype is right about the clocking ,They should sound stunnnnnnnning.
Stu

Stu

I have done many demos over the past two months with our DAC and that includes connecting the cheapest piece of crap available, a DVD player bought in a suprmarket.

It DAC does make it sound quite good. How good? Well just about OK and no more.

The difference between transports for me has been quite a surprise. I recently did a demo in Barcelona at a dealer, who also imports DCS and Bel Canto, using the CD5XS as a transport with the DAC and a PS555.

One of the clients asked if he could listen with the Bel Canto transport so we did. The difference was obvious, the CD5XS sounded so much better to everyone present.

Unfortunately the dealer would not let us put the DCS Puccini in the mix, pity.

So, there are differences between all transports, and that includes the CDX2 but I have to say the between the CD5XS and CDX2 as transports only, there is not much between them and for the difference in price I would think twice about buying the latter if my budget was limited and I was going on to buy a PS555 or XPS2 in the future.

All in all it is really a fun product to play with, bearing in mind all the combinations and listening to Hi Res music is just fantastic.

Recently at a show in Madrid, Doug Graham let us here a 24 bit/352Khz recording of Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, well the first 10 minutes, and experience was surreal. When Doug first played it I remeber Alan Gibb, of The Chord Company, and I looked at each other and in tandem we asked " What the f*ck is this?"

It was amazing and the DAC delivered it effortlessly.

That is my tuppence worth.

All the best

Gordon
Hi Norman

Just out of interest, what pre-power conbo did you use when testing the LINN DS products with the DAC?

Regards

Gordon
Posted on: 23 December 2009 by Guido Fawkes
quote:
Recently at a show in Madrid, Doug Graham let us hear a 24 bit/352Khz recording of Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, well the first 10 minutes, and experience was surreal. When Doug first played it I remeber Alan Gibb, of The Chord Company, and I looked at each other and in tandem we asked " What the f**k is this?"
To answer the question:

The Dark Side of the Moon is the sixth studio album by English progressive rock group Pink Floyd. Released in March 1973, the concept built on the ideas that the band had explored in their live shows and previous recordings, but it lacks the extended instrumental excursions that characterised their work following the departure in 1968 of founding member, principal composer and lyricist, Syd Barrett. The album's themes include conflict, greed ageing and mental illness.

The album was developed as part of a forthcoming tour of live performances, and premièred several months before studio recording began. The new material was further refined during the tour, and was recorded in two sessions in 1972 and 1973 at Abbey Road Studios in London. Pink Floyd used some of the most advanced recording techniques of the time, including multitrack recording and tape loops. Analogue synthesisers were given prominence in several tracks and a series of recorded interviews with staff and band personnel provided the source material for a range of philosophical quotations used throughout. Engineer Alan Parsons was directly responsible for some of the most notable sonic aspects of the album.

I'm surprised you and Alan hadn't heard this music, as it is played at almost every hi-fi show by somebody or other. Piper At The Gates of Dawn is by far The Pink Floyd's best album though.

Merry Christmas, Rotf

PS - Thanks for the write-up Smile
Posted on: 23 December 2009 by Guido Fawkes
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Mulvaney:
Hi Rotf

Afraid I can't answer that question just yet as we haven't been able to try all the possible combinations, as the DAC has been tied up in our current customer dems and time is also in short supply at this time of year.
Will definitely get round to some extended listening of other combinations in the new year.
Will keep you posted.

Phil, Cymbiosis
Hi Phil

When the weather gets a bit a warmer I'd love to try an alternative transport on the Naim DAC - we are, of course, all hoping for CD555 performance on the cheap Big Grin

Well it is Christmas

Merry Christmas Rotf
Posted on: 23 December 2009 by gone
I'm sure Gordon has heard DSOM - he's a hi-fi dealer Winker
Maybe he was referring to the 24 bit/352Khz version....? I'd certainly like to hear that!
Posted on: 23 December 2009 by Steeve
This is all mightily interesting and exciting stuff and I would just like to add my thanks to both Phil and Norman for their postings.

Although some recent experiments with my system have convinced me that a speaker upgrade is almost certainly the best option for me first,
I'm convinced I will be a customer for either a Linn DS or Naim DAC product and/or future streamer (?) sometime in the near future.
There are still some unanswered comparisons for me (e.g stand alone Akurate or Klimax vs. A.N. Other source + Naim DAC) but ultimately, as much as I value both these dealers views very highly, blind faith has never been my strong point so I am in no hurry for anything along these lines to be posted on the Forum!

Merry Christmas to all!!

Steve
quote:
Originally posted by ROTF:
quote:
Recently at a show in Madrid, Doug Graham let us hear a 24 bit/352Khz recording of Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, well the first 10 minutes, and experience was surreal. When Doug first played it I remeber Alan Gibb, of The Chord Company, and I looked at each other and in tandem we asked " What the f**k is this?"
To answer the question:

The Dark Side of the Moon is the sixth studio album by English progressive rock group Pink Floyd. Released in March 1973, the concept built on the ideas that the band had explored in their live shows and previous recordings, but it lacks the extended instrumental excursions that characterised their work following the departure in 1968 of founding member, principal composer and lyricist, Syd Barrett. The album's themes include conflict, greed ageing and mental illness.

The album was developed as part of a forthcoming tour of live performances, and premièred several months before studio recording began. The new material was further refined during the tour, and was recorded in two sessions in 1972 and 1973 at Abbey Road Studios in London. Pink Floyd used some of the most advanced recording techniques of the time, including multitrack recording and tape loops. Analogue synthesisers were given prominence in several tracks and a series of recorded interviews with staff and band personnel provided the source material for a range of philosophical quotations used throughout. Engineer Alan Parsons was directly responsible for some of the most notable sonic aspects of the album.

I'm surprised you and Alan hadn't heard this music, as it is played at almost every hi-fi show by somebody or other. Piper At The Gates of Dawn is by far The Pink Floyd's best album though.

Merry Christmas, Rotf

PS - Thanks for the write-up Smile

Rotf

We knew what the music was of course, we´re not that stupid or young! What we couldn´t beleive was what we were listening to. All of us were shocked to hear things that just do not apear on CD nor vinyl....really spooky

Gordon
quote:
Originally posted by Nero:
I'm sure Gordon has heard DSOM - he's a hi-fi dealer Winker
Maybe he was referring to the 24 bit/352Khz version....? I'd certainly like to hear that!

Correct!

By the way, I am not a dealer. I am the Naim Distributor for Spain & Portugal along with some other great brands that are often mentioned on this Forum.

Regards

Gordon
Posted on: 23 December 2009 by Milo Tweenie
quote:
Originally posted by Steeve:
This is all mightily interesting and exciting stuff and I would just like to add my thanks to both Phil and Norman for their postings.

I'm convinced I will be a customer for either a Linn DS or Naim DAC product and/or future streamer (?) sometime in the near future.
There are still some unanswered comparisons for me (e.g stand alone Akurate or Klimax vs. A.N. Other source + Naim DAC)
Merry Christmas to all!!

Steve

May I add my thanks and appreciation too.

I'm also interested in Linn DS v ANO streamer + Naim DAC, rather than using the DAC to upgrade an existing source.
Posted on: 23 December 2009 by likesmusic
A high-resolution remaster of DSoM was released on SACD in 2003 - CD, SACD and 5.1 layers. Not sure whether the 24/352 recoring mentioned above has the same origins as the SACD, but since Alan Parsons mixed the original and James Guthrie (re-)mixed the hi-res SACD it is not at all unlikely that you can hear things on one that you cant hear on the other - they are after all different mixes. There are some interesting about the various mixes on the wiki here.