What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XV)

Posted by: Richard Dane on 31 December 2018

On the eve of a new year, it's time for a new thread. 

Last year's thread can be found here:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...e-interested-vol-xiv

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by AndrewG
Pcd posted:
MDS posted:

Having just enjoyed the re-take of Tigerlily, I thought I'd play the original. I May Know The Word on this can give me goose-pimples  

MDS, playing this at the moment superb just ordered a couple more of her albums.

And don't forget all the albums she did with 10,000 Maniacs, all good. (These were discussed here just a few weeks ago so I won't repeat the various titles advocated by different forum members.)

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by AndyP19
ewemon posted:

Thanks to one of the previous posters for making me dig out the download of the above sessions.

First track ‘Cool your Jets’ is wonderful. Also great title for a song.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by DenisA

Amber

Autechre - Amber (2016) Bought today at Stranger Than Paradise Records, Hackney.

Gatefold cover.  Issued shrinkwrapped with black round "Autechre Amber WARPLP25R" and "2LP Re-Press Includes redemption code for album & bonus live set AE_LIVE_GRAFENHAINICHEN_170715" stickers.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by ewemon

Indie. Out 1st Feb

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by nigelb

Billy Gibbons And The BFG’s - Perfectamundo

I think I prefer this to his more recent Big Bad Blues, although I accept the music is rather different.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Bart

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by dknk
nigelb posted:

Billy Gibbons And The BFG’s - Perfectamundo

I think I prefer this to his more recent Big Bad Blues, although I accept the music is rather different.

First listen to this. I would agree, I like the groove of this release.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by DrMark

Another $1 Goodwill Store pickup:

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Richard Morris

Infernal Machines by Darcy James Argue's Secret Society.

Hard to describe - modern big band jazz perhaps.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by joerand

Bob Dylan. Blood On The Tracks (1975). On a relatively early repress LP circa 1978. Love the music, love the SQ. I wasn't much into Dylan as a youth but I'm finding more kinship with Bob's music as I age. Among the handful of Dylan albums I own this one seems the most Dylan-esque to me.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by joerand

Eagles. The Long Run. Still playing great on my original vinyl from 1979, approaching its 40th anniversary. Joe Walsh's "In The City" remains my favorite track.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Gazza
joerand posted:

Eagles. The Long Run. Still playing great on my original vinyl from 1979, approaching its 40th anniversary. Joe Walsh's "In The City" remains my favorite track.

Gotta luv Joe....he was due to meet his hero Ringo a Star many years ago and thought he would impress by playing a difficult George Harrison guitar piece from the Beatles. It took him a hell of a long time to pull it off. Played it to a Ringo who then said George used two different guitars and over dubbed them on the track. Doh!

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by joerand

Fleetwood Mac. Rumours. On an early pressing from 1977. I have five such early pressings of this LP. Each, to my mind, sounds outstanding. Some a bit noisier or quieter than others, but the SQ on original vinyl is undeniable. What amazes me is that the industry was able to meet demand for millions upon millions of LPs back in the day, yet those sound better than any modern day reproductions.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Alley Cat

Random selection from old vinyl:

Mixed bag - good album just rather varied styles some of which grate a bit with me.

The eponymous first album was my favourite.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Alley Cat

Lovely relaxing music for a Sunday morning.

On vinyl:

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Haim Ronen

Schubert for a white morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwj4ia_FDEc

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Jonners
Alley Cat posted:

Random selection from old vinyl:

Mixed bag - good album just rather varied styles some of which grate a bit with me.

The eponymous first album was my favourite.

I'd agree with you on that, though " Understanding Jane" is my runaway favourite

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Bert Schurink

A trio morning. A great start...

Another great one....

Great one, not a bad copy...

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Graham Russell

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by EJS

RIP Theo Adam, who made famous recordings of Wotan and the Dutchman amongst others, but late in his career sang a brilliant Alberich for Haitink's underappreciated Ring cycle (my first and still favorite).

Cheers

EJ

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by DrMark

Doing that 80s thing this morning...

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Chief Chirpa.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Chief Chirpa.

^ Africa HiTech - 93 Million Miles

...and another from Mark Pritchard, Under The Sun, his first album under his own name:

Mellow, almost ambient in places, with guest spots from Linda Perhacs, Bibio and Thom Yorke. Here's Thom, in Poland, I think:

Lavish design from Jonathan Zawada: