What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XV)

Posted by: Richard Dane on 31 December 2018

On the eve of a new year, it's time for a new thread. 

Last year's thread can be found here:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...e-interested-vol-xiv

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by DrMark

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Chunky

Pink Floyd - Animals.  I've seen this posted quite a lot on this thread, but it has never appealed to me that much.  I preferred Wish You Were Here, DSOTM and The Wall.  Given the love of some forum members for this album, I dug out my vinyl copy (probably bought in the early 1980s) and I have to say it sounds better than I remember.  I think it will be getting some more plays in the not too distant future.

Apologies for posting this again so soon, but I can't stop listening to it.  Dirty Projectors - Lamp Lit Prose.  I think fans of Prince would like this.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Mercky

Discovered this album recently, Tony Allen & Jeff Mills Tomorrow Comes the Harvest, difficult to describe but sort of jazz funk dub reggae fusion, superb production too, steaming on Tidal 

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by nigelb
james n posted:

Started this afternoon's listening with this album. A mellow, bluesy mix of songs and a fine production too. I suspect Ray LaMongtagne will follow this...

Amos Lee - Last Days At The Lodge

James, listening to this on Tidal, and very enjoyable it is too from an artist I am unfamiliar with.

Just plucked a ‘like new’ example from the river for a ‘not like new’ price. Very happy!

Thanks for pointing this one out.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Quad 33
Kevin-W posted:

On 1970s UK vinyl. Magnificently bombastic orchestral soul.

Played this myself this morning K as you say magnificent G

Jason Isbell's first solo album from 2007, Sirens of the Ditch.  High quality song-writing as usual.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by ALANP
nigelb posted:
james n posted:

Started this afternoon's listening with this album. A mellow, bluesy mix of songs and a fine production too. I suspect Ray LaMongtagne will follow this...

James, listening to this on Tidal, and very enjoyable it is too from an artist I am unfamiliar with.

Just plucked a ‘like new’ example from the river for a ‘not like new’ price. Very happy!

Nigel, I don't want to cost you any more money this week, but his eponymous debut and Supply and Demand are also worth checking out .They precede the featured album after which his music took a turn into something a bit more country.

Alan

Van Morrison - Avalon Sunset, a gentle offering from Van The Man, perfect for Sunday evening

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Kevin-W

Randomly, a bit of Marty Paich on a battered old 1970s vinyl LP:

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by MDS

Haven't played this for a while.  It took me a while but this has really grown on me. She is a talent.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Tony2011

1969 - May Blitz  // UK first pressing...

Seeing Kev's post above, reminded me I have not listened to my girlfriend for a while. 

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by nigelb
ALANP posted:
nigelb posted:
james n posted:

Nigel, I don't want to cost you any more money this week, but his eponymous debut and Supply and Demand are also worth checking out .They precede the featured album after which his music took a turn into something a bit more country.

Alan

Well I have just picked both of these albums up but I am only a fiver poorer. Spent over twice that on a Pizza this evening!

Thanks for the recommendation Alan.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Graham Russell

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by AndyP19
ALANP posted:

Van Morrison - Avalon Sunset, a gentle offering from Van The Man, perfect for Sunday evening

I can do without the duet with little Cliffie Richard but Coney Island is just a brilliant song and for me one of the best things Van has written.

Norah Jones - Feels Like Home, continuing with the relaxed vibe.

AndyP19 posted:
ALANP posted:

I can do without the duet with little Cliffie Richard but Coney Island is just a brilliant song and for me one of the best things Van has written.

I've got a copy of the remaster which is sympathetically done, and as bonus tracks it features a solo version of the first track ,and an interesting performance of "When The Saint's Go Marching In", which just add to the quality of the original album    

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Graham Russell

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Filipe
Kevin-W posted:

Randomly, a bit of Marty Paich on a battered old 1970s vinyl LP:

Some complained on the Community Order thread about the photos, but I actually find they tell a story of their own about our culture. None more so than your amazing collection, Kevin.

Phil

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by ewemon
nigelb posted:
ALANP posted:
nigelb posted:
james n posted:

Alan

Well I have just picked both of these albums up but I am only a fiver poorer. Spent over twice that on a Pizza this evening!

Thanks for the recommendation Alan.

He released 2 e.p's. before he first signed to Blue Note and they are worthwhile getting but you need to track them down. His father used to do all the handling of sending out the discs.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by DrMark

One of the great live albums ever...at least IMHO.

One hell of a band.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by JimDog

I happened to mention yesterday to my wife as we drove home from a long walk in the Lake District that I have a white vinyl single of 'White Punks on Dope'...she had never heard of it - must dig it out and give it a spin...

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Bert Schurink

From yesterday evening..

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Bert Schurink

Now..

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by EJS

La Ręveuse is a group of musicians around Florence Bolton on viola da gamba and Benjamin Perrot on lute, who have become one of the premier bands for 17th and 18th century chamber music. As music for gamba goes, this is unmatched - highly recommended.

Cheers

EJ