NDX and Chord Hugo

Posted by: Foxman50 on 18 April 2014

I have been contemplating adding a DAC to my NDX/XPS2 to see (or should that be hear) what it can bring to the party. And so thought it about time i made inroads into Having a few home demos. After looking around at products that are within my budget i came across the Chord Hugo DAC.

Although it is meant to be a portable headphone unit, it can be used as a full line level fixed DAC.

The dealer lent me a TQ black digital coax lead, which have twist grip plugs. This was required as the present batch of Hugo's have a case design fault that wont allow any decent cable to fit, soon to be rectified. Thankfully the TQ just manages to hang on to the coax port.

Once all connected and gone through the minimal setup procedure of the Hugo, what does the red LED mean again, i left it to warm up for half an hour.

Poured a beer and sat down for an evenings listening.

What was that, where did that come from, that's what that instrument is. OMG, as my little'n would say, Where is it getting all this detail from.

After spending last night and today with it, all i can say is that it has totally transformed my system from top to bottom. I never considered my NDX to be veiled or shut in, not even sure that's the correct terms. All i can say is its opened up the sound stage and space around instruments. Everything I've put through it has had my toes, feet and legs tapping away to the music.

Even putting the toe tapping, the resolution the clarity to one side, what its greatest achievement for me has been in making albums that I've had trouble listening too enjoyable now.

One added bonus is that it has made the XPS redundant. I cannot hear any difference with it in or out of the system.

While i thought a DAC may make a change in the degree of the jump from ND5 to NDX, i was not prepared for this. Anyone looking at adding a PSU to there NDX may want to check this unit out first.

For me this has to be the bargain of the year.

Posted on: 06 July 2014 by gary yeowell
Analog, that's not what i said at all. Don't drag me into your shit please, i'm not interested.
Posted on: 06 July 2014 by analogmusic

Gary my post wasn't addressed at you at all.

It was for Aleg

the challenge with building up impossible expectations, is that it may cause some people to purchase unwisely.

and they might be disappointed later on.

my expecation is that it should sound amazingly good with even a Mac mini, and exceed all my expecations with an NDS. But wait a sec.

is that the NDS or the Hugo that sounds so good.

Not having a go at you Gary, really , just putting all the hugo hype where it belongs.

Posted on: 06 July 2014 by Foxman50
Originally Posted by analogmusic:
That's not logical

According to Rob Watts it is their best ever DAC.

but you're saying they can't disclose this on their website?

So what if a customer went and paid 4500 GBP for the QBD 76 and the later found out he should have paid 1400 for the Hugo?

Graeme, you will have to concede that at least with Naim this doesn't happen.

Originally Posted by Foxman50:
Originally Posted by KRM:

Agreed Graeme, but there is a Confusion here. Apparently, Rob Watts has described the Hugo as Chord's best DAC, but he charges a lot more for the QBD76 HDSD and describes it as his flagship DAC on his website :-/

Keith

Keith 

i don't see the issue. Chord can hardly say heres out top of the range expensive dac but it doesn't sound as good as our entry level cheap one, can they 

Graeme

Rob Watts is not Chord, he designed the unit for them. I don't know if Hugo sounds better or worse than the QBD, I've not compared them.

It would be a very strange way to do things. You usually find the top of the range technology trickles down to the lesser kit, not the other way round.

I cant comment if it happens with Naim, I've not heard every device at every price point.

Graeme

The problem is that it is their best dac.

And you are indirectly saying that Chord is now cheating their customers.

Tread carefully.

You got away with a lot of nonsense on the forum so far, but now this?

Analog 

How do you know which one is their best DAC. 

Graeme

Naim is very sensible about they way they price their kit.

You pay for more and get more.

so if I wanted more with Chord I would buy the QBD76. but wait it has less taps then the Hugo.

and this is all a game of how many taps. thanks to the spartan chip with is ULV at 0.8v.

Let me just say, i could probably live happily with a Hugo fed by a Qute. The thing is i know things could get better further up the chain and that maybe tempting. For now i'm still happy with the CDS3 which i feel is not challenged sufficiently until you start to add some fairly expensive hardware to the Hugo...... but that may be ND5/NDX level, but didn't try it so cannot say.
Originally Posted by gary yeowell:
Heard the Hugo yesterday for the first time, and in a very revealing system. My overriding feeling is that what goes in front of it is as important as the Dac itself. I heard it firstly with an Arcam streamer, then a Mac, then Qute, and lastly an NDS555x2. The difference each time was not subtle and the final iteration was sublime. Strangely i'd have a problem living with the Mac combo which sounded hard and etched by comparison to the streamers. We also played a standalone CDX2.2 in there to get a benchmark.

I think the Hugo is extremely capable, but it does hi light differences at the front end and as much as people think it does not matter what its fed, i'm afraid to these ears it very much does. Of course the extra money required for the best scenario may be questionable in the context of a lesser system than i was hearing it with, and i can imagine something like an ND5 or NDX being a nice compromise for most people.

I have tried three sources so far, and prefer my NDX so far. Want to try a mac mini but waiting for the new unit to come out. I wonder how an NDX feeding Hugo would have compared to the NDS/555/555 feeding Hugo.

Graeme

Posted on: 06 July 2014 by hafler3o

Or might not. Which is a good reason to continue the discussions before any more Naim Dac owning members foolishly make their own minds up having compared them in their own homes 

So no more controlling behaviour calling for threads to be locked or opinions censored, ok?

My issue is not what you described.

Please remember this is a Naim forum, and while it's ok to discuss other products, per the rules allowed, please remember to show some respect to the sponsor of this forum. 

I don't think Naim are that keen to lose all their potential DAC V1, NDAC or NDS customerson their own forum to the competition.

Posted on: 06 July 2014 by lovethatsound
Analog
The truth is you can not accept that sometimes the rules get changed in this game.The Hugo has changed the rules for a lot of people, not just here, but all over the world. I like naim, but you can't always expect them to make the best hi-fi all the time, live with it Analog, and better still go demo a Hugo.ps enjoy your music.
Posted on: 06 July 2014 by KRM

Hi Gary

Very interesting post. Presumably, you had a demo at a dealer who was demonstrating how good the Hugo is and how much difference the front end makes? 

If so, did you compare Hugo to the NDS DAC and does the dealer agree that the Hugo improves the NDS? 

Keith

My issue is not what you described.

I disagree, and you did ask (propose) for the thread to be locked. And more, "crap", "bollocks" language is hardly respectful of Naim's forum or membership. So please keep to the principles you espouse. I'm interested in the debate and want to hear more, I'm sure Naim are too, any manufacturer who sticks their head in the sand will be buried in it next week.

Posted on: 06 July 2014 by GraemeH
Originally Posted by GraemeH:
Heard the Hugo yesterday for the first time, and in a very revealing system. My overriding feeling is that what goes in front of it is as important as the Dac itself. I heard it firstly with an Arcam streamer, then a Mac, then Qute, and lastly an NDS555x2. The difference each time was not subtle and the final iteration was sublime. Strangely i'd have a problem living with the Mac combo which sounded hard and etched by comparison to the streamers. We also played a standalone CDX2.2 in there to get a benchmark.

I think the Hugo is extremely capable, but it does hi light differences at the front end and as much as people think it does not matter what its fed, i'm afraid to these ears it very much does. Of course the extra money required for the best scenario may be questionable in the context of a lesser system than i was hearing it with, and i can imagine something like an ND5 or NDX being a nice compromise for most people.

As someone who has experienced an NDAC fed by first an ND5XS and then an NDX I'd not discount the streamer from affecting the sonic signature of the Hugo. This may account for the 'lightness' that some of us are unaware of?

Listening to Ry Cooder's 'Boomers Story', an album which has outlasted numerous systems with me over nearly 30 years and not a hint of 'lightness'.

G

Gary's observation chimes with an earlier thread of mine regarding which streamer is feeding the dac. (Albeit the NDAC in my case but now using the NDX/Hugo).

G

Keith, that is something i cannot say for certain. Yes we compared the Hugo/NDS2x555 to the NDS2x555PS standalone. 

I know the dealer very well and i was not there for a Hugo demonstration, but for something entirely different. As such, and as he knows i'm not in the market for an NDS, it was more of another set of ears and an interesting comparison. From the very quick demonstration of the NDS and then NDS with Hugo, i'd say that i had a preference for the inclusion of the Hugo, as did my dealer, but it would be fair to say that both flavours were very interesting, and aspects of each could be said to excel. It is entirely possible that within another system and piece of music, a different conclusion could be drawn. On the day however i genuinely felt i was listening to a special product, and one that was capable of really showing the differences of the source, and this was where we spent most of the time analysing.

Posted on: 06 July 2014 by nbpf
Originally Posted by Aleg:

Not surprising for me.

I am involved in testing software players during development and each version of the same piece of software (all bit-perfect of course, goes without saying really) can sound hugely different going the same route into the hardware chain.

I certainly believe you but isn't this very disappointing ? It seems to imply that digitalized audio data cannot be reconstructed in a robust fashion. I would have expected that, assuming reasonable buffering capacity and knowledge of the original sample rate, a renderer should be able to reconstruct an analog signal independently of the details of the player's implementation. More precisely: I would have expected that two player versions that fulfill the same specification and differ only in implementation details would imply, downstream, possibly different recovery costs but finally the same analog signal.

Posted on: 06 July 2014 by Aleg

Gary my post wasn't addressed at you at all.

It was for Aleg

the challenge with building up impossible expectations, is that it may cause some people to purchase unwisely.

my expecation is that it should sound amazingly good with even a Mac mini, and exceed all my expecations with an NDS. But wait a sec.

is that the NDS or the Hugo that sounds so good.

Not having a go at you Gary, really , just putting all the hugo hype where it belongs.

Analog as....le I never said anything about NDS-s, so don't me into your shit either.

Originally Posted by nbpf:

Not surprising for me.

I am involved in testing software players during development and each version of the same piece of software (all bit-perfect of course, goes without saying really) can sound hugely different going the same route into the hardware chain.

I certainly believe you but isn't this very disappointing ? It seems to imply that digitalized audio data cannot be reconstructed in a robust fashion. I would have expected that, assuming reasonable buffering capacity and knowledge of the original sample rate, a renderer should be able to reconstruct an analog signal independently of the details of the player's implementation. More precisely: I would have expected that two player versions that fulfill the same specification and differ only in implementation details would imply, downstream, possibly different recovery costs but finally the same analog signal.

People short start to learn that digital audio is not just about the bits (the digital part) but also about timing and recreating timing aspects and also about analog aspects of processing and transfer as well.

it has become a bit of a naive utopia to believe that "bits are just bits and as long as the bit come across error-free all will be equal".

Posted on: 06 July 2014 by KRM

Thanks Gary.

A helpful reminder that the hardware upstream from the DAC also plays a key role. Perhaps the NDS + Hugo isn't as bonkers as it seems.

People short start to learn that digital audio is not just about the bits (the digital part) but also about timing and recreating timing aspects and also about analog aspects of processing and transfer as well.

it has become a bit of a naive utopia to believe that "bits are just bits and as long as the bit come across error-free all will be equal".

I think we have an awful lot to learn yet about how this works.

Originally Posted by KRM:

Thanks Gary.

A helpful reminder that the hardware upstream from the DAC also plays a key role. Perhaps the NDS + Hugo isn't as bonkers as it seems.

I'd love to see a comparison between all the Naim streamers feeding Hugo. 

Not surprising for me.

Aleg, I'm not a believer in general and not a "bits are just bits and as long as the bit come across error-free all will be equal" believer in particular. I was yous wandering what you mean by "huge differences" and what logical consequences can we draw from such differences which, again, I am neither questioning nor positing.

Not surprising for me.

Aleg, I'm not a believer in general and not a "bits are just bits and as long as the bit come across error-free all will be equal" believer in particular. I was yous wandering what you mean by "huge differences" and which logical consequences can we draw from such differences which, again, I am neither questioning nor positing.

I would be interested to hear a comparative of these 3:

1) Qute2 (as I own one) > Hugo (as it's supposed to be rather good) >  NAP 250.2

2) Devialet 120

3) SuperUniti

Now the 1st option would involve me buying Chord AND Naim, the second would not involve a Naim purchase, 3rd option I have. Recent posts may reveal a weakness in option 1) but may still outperform 2) 

Not surprising for me.

Aleg, I'm not a believer in general and not a "bits are just bits and as long as the bit come across error-free all will be equal" believer in particular. I was yous wandering what you mean by "huge differences" and what logical consequences can we draw from such differences which, again, I am neither questioning nor positing.

Just as an example, different versions of the software did have an effect on clarity and microdetails, on the amount of HF 'hearable', on the length of decays, the control of bass (booming, blooming, micro details, control), forward vs recessed presentation. For some these may be subtle, I find them huge given width of these effects.

This program is programmed in assembler and changes were to do (a.o.) with choice of statements, aligning data with buffer sizes, aligning commands to  memory positions, amount of bytes to be transferred in one go with each statement.

Posted on: 06 July 2014 by Jude2012
When using an upstream device (either  NDS, NDX or  ND5):

A) Does the DAC in these devices have a bearing on the downstream SQ, or

B) Is it the 'pre processing set up' (I.e. What Naim do with the data stream between the Ethernet card and before entering the onboard DAC, as well as the isolation and power supply? (rather than their respective on board DAC themselves),

Have a bearing on the SQ produced/observed ?

I think this is a point worth exploring in the context of this thread that is about the Hugo and the evolution of DACs?

Jude