Evolving the Naim Forum

Posted by: Charlie Henderson on 10 January 2019

Hi everyone,

For the Naim family, conversation and discussion is everything (apart from the music of course!)

We love to encourage the debate and support the sharing of some extraordinary expertise across the Naim Forum, and it is one of the foundations of our world. We all participate in the community in different ways, and to varying degrees, but one thing is for sure, it is fascinating, informative, passionate, and loads of fun.

So, we want to make it even easier to do this, and we’re going to be moving to a new Forum software platform from Tuesday 15th January 2019. Yes, it’ll be a change, but we're not just changing things for the sake of it. It’s a decision that’s not been taken lightly, and is simply intended to make it easier for you all to continue to do what you do best – share your thoughts, frustrations, expertise and aspirations. For example, you’ll be able to access elements of the Forum more easily from more devices, but the fundamentals of the Forum will remain as they are today.

And it goes without saying, you’ll be able to access and search all old and current topics. It may take a couple of weeks as we continue preparing an archive of all existing Forum posts, but we will lose nothing as we make the transition.

One of the great features of the new Forum is the ability to run polls. We intend to use these intensively as a feedback tool to create a more dynamic community, shaped by the feedback you provide, but it also gives all Forum members the opportunity to run their own polls too. Other features include the ability to access the Forum through a mobile app and post images directly, making the Forum a much more visually exciting place too. 

I’m sure some may be concerned by the move but we are doing this to help evolve and continue supporting the Naim Forum as the heart of our community. We look forward to feedback as the team move things across, and please bear with us as we do so, it’s a significant team effort. I’m sensitive to the fact that the change may not suit everyone straight away, but we’re genuinely doing it for the right reasons – to ensure the future of the Naim Forum as the heart of our community.

There is a link to FAQs relating to this HERE.

Thanks,
Charlie, Richard, and the Naim Forum team.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by trickydickie

It's going to be shame if we lose people due to the change, especially established regulars. 

It's currently a bit lonely on the other side.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Richard Dane

TC, hopefully we'll all see you there.  All threads are starting afresh, although some of the Beta members and I have been busy making the place a bit more like home for everybody arriving tomorrow once the site is launched, including starting up some familiar threads again.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Peder

???? Richard,...okej,so no threads from this forum follow to the new forum.?

/Peder???? 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander
trickydickie posted:

It's going to be shame if we lose people due to the change, especially established regulars. 

It's currently a bit lonely on the other side.

It’s lonely ‘cos it’s only you Beta testers! 

I don’t see why the change in itself should alienate anyone (saying that not having seen the new!), though of course  fit anyone wilting and not very bothered anymore  just the fact of the change could be the trigger to stop. However, dormant or near-dormant members might not be bothered to sign up unless or until something happens and they want contact.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by MDS
Tabby cat posted:

Richard,

Will exsisting posts like The football season in the padded cell be there with the new forum or do we have to start it all again.

If I don't come back - Thanks so much for your moderation here and as you once said it's like a very civilised members club or was .

Cheers Ian

[@mention:1566878603896366] - Ian, you'll find a new 'football season 2018/19' thread in the padded cell of the new forum. Mike   

So there is a padded cell. Somewhere for all from the old forum to reside?

Peder posted:

???? Richard,...okej,so no threads from this forum follow to the new forum.?

/Peder???? 

Peder, no threads go over to the new forum unless you copy what you've written and take it there yourself and start a new thread there.

All the threads here are going to be archived on the Naim website so they can be searched and read in the future.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Michael_B.

I am outraged, astonished and humbled - not necessarily in that order, either chronologically or in terms of magnitude.

But then evolution never was easy.

Celebrating the last day of the old and raising a shaky virtual glass to the new....

Yours, aye, in solidarity....

Adam Meredith posted:
Innocent Bystander posted:
of course  fit anyone wilting and not very bothered anymore  just the fact of the change could be the trigger to stop. 

I think that goes without saying.

‘Fit’ of course is phone-finger ‘speak’ for ‘for’.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by ChrisSU
Richard Dane posted:

....it's only old posts and threads that will be archived, not profiles - all user data other than posts will be deleted....

Perhaps, once the old forum archive is available, it will be possible to insert a link to the relevant thread to make it easier to continue any unfinished business? 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Michael_B.
ChrisSU posted:
Richard Dane posted:

....it's only old posts and threads that will be archived, not profiles - all user data other than posts will be deleted....

Perhaps, once the old forum archive is available, it will be possible to insert a link to the relevant thread to make it easier to continue any unfinished business? 

Sounds eminently sensible...

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by FangfossFlyer

Incredible how time flies as I have been a Naim forum member since the year 2000, over18 years!

So it’s so long to the old forum from me, it has been fun.

Looking forward to the new forum in the expectation that it will be even more fun, informative and easy to use.

Richard (a.k.a. FangfossFlyer)

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by JamieWednesday

Who gets to be responsible for The Last Post?

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by GraemeH

This remains fresh & vital. Sounds good on Tidal too.

G

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Chief Chirpa.
GraemeH posted:

This remains fresh & vital. Sounds good on Tidal too.

G

Ok, so I hold a finger over the image on the screen in front of me for two seconds, a box pops up, and Cortana reveals that it's XTC's Black Sea.

Doesn't really explain what it's doing in this thread though. : )

@Jamie: Berlin Fritz?

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by GraemeH

Oops!

G

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by naim_nymph

Will we be able to display our chosen avatar images on the new naim forum?

I suppose we get familiar with seeing forum members avatars, would be nice to still have them.

My avatar is a photo of a carrier bag advertisement design, that i acquired at the Bristol hifi show in 1996.

Would be a pity to end using avatars, although i still have my carrier bag somewhere : )

Debs

naim_nymph posted:

Will we be able to display our chosen avatar images on the new naim forum?

I suppose we get familiar with seeing forum members avatars, would be nice to still have them.

My avatar is a photo of a carrier bag advertisement design, that i acquired at the Bristol hifi show in 1996.

Would be a pity to end using avatars, although i still have my carrier bag somewhere : )

Debs

I've always liked your avatar, Debs, and yes you should be able to retain it. The only difference is that while it is presented as a square on this forum on the new forum it will be in a circle.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by hungryhalibut

I wonder what a fruit bat has got to do with Naim. Whatever, it’s a good picture. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Bob the Builder
hungryhalibut posted:

I wonder what a fruit bat has got to do with Naim. Whatever, it’s a good picture. 

Perhaps it's a vampire!

hungryhalibut posted:

I suppose...

audiophiles are dependent upon listening ability, and need to trust their instincts when auditioning audio components - in the demo room (?)

Fruit is good for you, part of your 5 a day! : )

I wondered if it's about being able to find your way around in the 'inky blackness' that Naim gear is reputedly meant to create.   

Yes, you can have avatars on the new forum.

The Trust Your Instincts campaign (with the bar) was run during the Olive period. I think I’ve got a couple of ads somewhere. If I find them I’ll post someday in the new forum.

Richard Dane posted:

Yes, you can have avatars on the new forum.

The Trust Your Instincts campaign (with the ba) was run during the Olive period. I think I’ve got a couple of ads somewhere. If I find them I’ll post someday in the new forum.

Thanks Richard

look forward to seeing them : )

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by TOBYJUG

I got mine from a BBC site on tobyjugs.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/976x549_b/p016hq9h.jpg

Of course I could have chosen some other horrendous images of tobyjugs

https://media1.fdncms.com/chicago/imager/u/original/41973266/american_toby_jug_museum-3.jpg

So count yourselves lucky.