Evolving the Naim Forum

Posted by: Charlie Henderson on 10 January 2019

Hi everyone,

For the Naim family, conversation and discussion is everything (apart from the music of course!)

We love to encourage the debate and support the sharing of some extraordinary expertise across the Naim Forum, and it is one of the foundations of our world. We all participate in the community in different ways, and to varying degrees, but one thing is for sure, it is fascinating, informative, passionate, and loads of fun.

So, we want to make it even easier to do this, and we’re going to be moving to a new Forum software platform from Tuesday 15th January 2019. Yes, it’ll be a change, but we're not just changing things for the sake of it. It’s a decision that’s not been taken lightly, and is simply intended to make it easier for you all to continue to do what you do best – share your thoughts, frustrations, expertise and aspirations. For example, you’ll be able to access elements of the Forum more easily from more devices, but the fundamentals of the Forum will remain as they are today.

And it goes without saying, you’ll be able to access and search all old and current topics. It may take a couple of weeks as we continue preparing an archive of all existing Forum posts, but we will lose nothing as we make the transition.

One of the great features of the new Forum is the ability to run polls. We intend to use these intensively as a feedback tool to create a more dynamic community, shaped by the feedback you provide, but it also gives all Forum members the opportunity to run their own polls too. Other features include the ability to access the Forum through a mobile app and post images directly, making the Forum a much more visually exciting place too. 

I’m sure some may be concerned by the move but we are doing this to help evolve and continue supporting the Naim Forum as the heart of our community. We look forward to feedback as the team move things across, and please bear with us as we do so, it’s a significant team effort. I’m sensitive to the fact that the change may not suit everyone straight away, but we’re genuinely doing it for the right reasons – to ensure the future of the Naim Forum as the heart of our community.

There is a link to FAQs relating to this HERE.

Thanks,
Charlie, Richard, and the Naim Forum team.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Peter1480

I've been beta testing in the new forum for 4 days, trust me your going to like it. It looks good and is easy to use on all platforms.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by nitrous

What happens if someone pinches your ‘handle’ before you get to register? For instance would I have to suffer the indignity of being nitrous1?

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Eoink
nitrous posted:

What happens if someone pinches your ‘handle’ before you get to register? For instance would I have to suffer the indignity of being nitrous1?

Nitric?

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by james n
nitrous posted:

N2

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander

As the evening passes I am reminded of the film Titanic, with the musicians finding - and giving - solace in music. A fitting way, perhaps, to play out the evening, as the forum supinks into a frozen state with no living members...          

.  .  .  .  .

But unlike the ship, in the morning a glorious new forum will arise phoenix-like from the ashes, prepopulated by a crew of beta testers, ready to be moulded and shaped into something even better, to carry us off into musical eperiences on a journey that hopefully will never end!    

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by MDS
Innocent Bystander posted:

As the evening passes I am reminded of the film Titanic, with the musicians finding - and giving - solace in music. A fitting way, perhaps, to play out the evening, as the forum supinks into a frozen state with no living members...          

.  .  .  .  .

But unlike the ship, in the morning a glorious new forum will arise phoenix-like from the ashes, prepopulated by a crew of beta testers, ready to be moulded and shaped into something even better, to carry us off into musical eperiences on a journey that hopefully will never end!    

A nice sentiment, IB.  That said I hope you will not be too disappointed to discover that while there are a huge number of different emojis to choose from, I think the exploding sausage is not among them.   

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by TOBYJUG

A new poll on the new forum should be " who has the best new Avatar and rebranding"

MDS posted:

A nice sentiment, IB.  That said I hope you will not be too disappointed to discover that while there are a huge number of different emojis to choose from, I think the exploding sausage is not among them.   

Thanks MDS - And thank goodness for that: I have never understood its meaning when others have used it, and I don’t think I’ve ever used it myself, this being the very first time I have felt that it fitted,

TOBYJUG posted:

A new poll on the new forum should be " who has the best new Avatar and rebranding"

Will you use a different jug image for days of the week, or perhaps to indicate mood.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by nitrous
james n posted:
nitrous posted:

N2

Now if I only knew how you ‘dropped’ 2 I would consider that as it would be an upgrade!

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by GraemeH

???? See you all soon !

G

nitrous posted:
james n posted:
nitrous posted:

N2

Now if I only knew how you ‘dropped’ 2 I would consider that as it would be an upgrade!

Maybe beta testers could advise if any tools available when entering username. If no known way you could try doing on a computer and using a wordprocessor to type a subscript 2 and copy it - it might very well not work, but just a chance it will. It might even be worth trying using a different text editor if the first doesn’t work.

If that fails you could always call yourself laughing gas instead,

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Mike-B

Maybe beta testers could advise if any tools available when entering username. If no known way you could try doing on a computer and using a wordprocessor to type a subscript 2 and copy it - it might very well not work, but just a chance it will. It might even be worth trying using a different text editor if the first doesn’t work.

I've just been playing with that IB.    N2O copies as N2O.    Other symbols don't copy over either,  that includes ohms & micro.  Forget wingdings

You will need to reformat your user name, two words not allowed,  so its InnocentBystander  Innocent.Bystander or Innocent-Bystander

C U On The Other Side

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Don Atkinson

You can easily drop a few letters or numbers 12345 and you can even raise them like this.

Of course, you can add symbols when doing arithmetic ± ÷ ß ¼ ¾ ?2 5²

Typing in Word doesn't always copy accurately into the Forum. But if you save your Word/Excel/Powerpoint work as a JPEG document, you can preserve the formatting and repost as a photo from the likes of Flickr etc.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Don Atkinson
Mike-B posted:

I've just been playing with that IB.    N2O copies as N2O.    Other symbols don't copy over either,  that includes ohms & micro.  Forget wingdings

You will need to reformat your user name, two words not allowed,  so its InnocentBystander  Innocent.Bystander or Innocent-Bystander

C U On The Other Side

Looks like I shall have to change my name.........!

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by MDS
Don Atkinson posted:
Mike-B posted:

C U On The Other Side

Looks like I shall have to change my name.........!

A full stop instead of a space in the middle and hardly anyone will notice the difference, Don. 

Don Atkinson posted:

You can easily drop a few letters or numbers 12345 and you can even raise them like this.

Of course, you can add symbols when doing arithmetic ± ÷ ß ¼ ¾ ?2 5²

Typing in Word doesn't always copy accurately into the Forum. But if you save your Word/Excel/Powerpoint work as a JPEG document, you can preserve the formatting and repost as a photo from the likes of Flickr etc.

Ah, Nitrous wants it in his forum name, as opposed to when posting in threads.

As for posting photos, it would be nice if that was easier, and independent of platform used. We will soon know!

Time to say farewell to those who for whatever reason don’t transfer over to the new Forum. I am aware one is HungryHalibut, whose thoughtful, knowlegeable and helpful posts, and indeed sometimes abrupt style I shall mis reading.

This all has a strange feeling, like leaving a job after some years, but times change, people change or move on - that is life, so to all who disappear best wishes for wharever your path takes you.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by trickydickie

It is a shame and an unwelcome side effect of the change in forum platform.  I do hope these people will come back, the forum is a better place with them.

There's a thread going on the 'other side' missing them already.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by ChrisSU

It’s not the content of the forum that’s changing, just the app that runs it. If anyone uses it as an excuse to leave, they must surely have been inclined to do so anyway, and just needed a little nudge to make them leave. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Ears

HH, thank you for your posts and many insights.  Best wishes,  Ears

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Mike Sullivan

It’s the Final Countdown, da da da.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by christoph

Hi, it is not possible to register to the new Forum. Only login is possible and requires an Account? Christoph 

Assuming you are not one of the beta testers, I understand you will be able to register with the new forum when it goes live, which will be after 08.00 uk time if it goes to schedule - but nothing while this, the old forum, is still running.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Christoph, it should open for new registrations at 8am GMT.  So you'll need to wait for just over half an hour more...