Hi-Fi Corner

PopeyePosted: 03 December 2018Last Updated: 08 December 2018
Hi all I know what people will say to this and ultimately I will go and listen for myself but, wondered what people’s opinions. I own NDX/Supernait2 with Totem Sky Towers. I currently just use the standard interconnect and 1 power line lite and one of the power cables supplied by naim prior to the lite and NACA5 speaker cable. I am debating getting a Hicap Dr to add to the Supernait2 but I know what I am like and think I will always seek to upgrade and then probably want a 282 and so on and...
BezbPosted: 25 November 2018Last Updated: 08 December 2018
Friends, has anybody had experience in pairing NAC-N 172 or NAC-272 with active shelf speakers? Inside I feel this can sound crazy for Naim but who knows. If take one of the mentioned NACs and add Acoustic Energy AE1 active speakers (for example). Very big difference in money but good references about AE1. What is behind such idea? To start with "serious" Naim. One component now and Naim amplifier + good passive speakers in some time.
ChrisnPosted: 07 December 2018Last Updated: 08 December 2018
My Nac 52 Supercap is connected to an active setup, second Supercap, Snaxo 242, IBLS. Can I simultaneously have the Nac 52 Supercap connected to another power amp, say a 250? I would like to leave them all connected but would plan to only have one power amp set up turned on at any time. Any help?
PopeyePosted: 02 December 2018Last Updated: 08 December 2018
Hi all as per the title. I personally have no experience of Cyrus but in my younger days when I used to buy many hifi magazines, they seemed a fairly big player and appeared to follow a similar path to Naim with PSU’s for upgrades and the like. But obviously now I don’t hear there name mentioned really at all.
gramophonePosted: 20 September 2018Last Updated: 08 December 2018
Said most in header. Interested in open discussion (but in my case the room is 4m x 5m and 10 ft high; 2 windows on one long wall (exterior wall) and mostly "Venetian plaster" the other long wall. The 2 other, short, walls = solid but with a 230 sq cm fancy plastic pane for picture frame, and the same at 650 sq cm, also mirror 170 sq cm. Oak floor with a third of exposed area covered with a rug).
hifi-dogPosted: 06 December 2018Last Updated: 07 December 2018
Just set up Fraim glass etc under my nova.... hells bells! How can a piece of glass make such a difference to dynamics, separation, coherence and over all presentation. Even with the Xmas tree between my scm11’s the sound stage has grown.. expensive even secondhand but deffo worth it
DuncPCPosted: 06 December 2018Last Updated: 07 December 2018
Well tonight I have removed my 82 and twin hicaps from my Olive 250 active system and popped in a lovely 52 and carnt believe the difference. It has opened up the sound completely, better bass, better detail, just better everywhere, so much so I can't believe the massive difference it has made, I now see what all the fuss is about with the 52 and even cold it's unbelievable. If anyone ( like I was ) feels that a 52 can't be that much better than say a 82 even running a suppercap, then I am...
JimDogPosted: 06 December 2018Last Updated: 07 December 2018
Did it improve the sound in your room?
tony123Posted: 06 December 2018Last Updated: 07 December 2018
Good day, I'm thinking, where can I find information about naming evolution of Naim products? For example, what was the name of previous model of NAC 252? (the model, that was before release of NAC 252) Maybe Nac 251, or NAC 250? What is the system of naming in Naim products? This is in case I want to by second hand product (to get the same class of quality, but older model)
angelfacePosted: 06 December 2018Last Updated: 07 December 2018
I am thinking of getting a Naim power amp but I will need a cable that connects my left and right XLR outputs from my pre-amp (yes not a Naim pre-amp) to the 4 pin input of say a NAP250-2. Can anyone suggest someone who makes and sells this type of cable? There seems plenty of people who do 2 x RCA to Naim 4 pin but not XLR.
ReggiePosted: 07 December 2018Last Updated: 07 December 2018
I recently acquired a Uniti 2 and now wish to connect an Audio-Technica AT-LP 5 turntable which has an integral preamp, do I just connect this via the digital inputs on the rear of the Uniti 2? Reg
analogmusicPosted: 05 December 2018Last Updated: 07 December 2018
did a test this weekend on an Auralic Aries streamer with its USB vs SPDIF on a blu2/Dave Dac The SPDIF sounded much better, less glare on vocals and more musical too. quite strange as it’s not even the USB input on the Dave that was used it was the one in Blu2 upscsler the aries has a linear power supply I’m somewhat surprised as I thought the USB should be better....?
Claus-ThoegersenPosted: 06 December 2018Last Updated: 06 December 2018
I was told yesterday that there was a demonstration last Friday using Statement and the new Audiovector r8. Did anybody attend this arrangement? Having heard both Statement and r8, I think this would be a fantastic combination! https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/audiovector-r8-loudspeaker-uk-launch-event-ft-naim-statement-system-tickets-52177860385#
AceonePosted: 30 November 2018Last Updated: 06 December 2018
Hi can someone tell me how to connect my hicap2 to my 82 plz.
toriamosPosted: 03 December 2018Last Updated: 05 December 2018
Hei Just got my second hand Superline today. Snaic goes to the Aux2 on the 252 and the logo is glowing, but no sound. Am I missing something?
Arno10Posted: 05 December 2018Last Updated: 05 December 2018
Hello everybody, I'm new to naim, and new to this forum too... Recently bought a brand new uniti star to replace an old onkyo av amplifier tx-nr609. Connected the star to my focal aria 906 (several told me that it's a good match). Hoped to have a great sound improvement from the onkyo. Listen to it for 2-3 hours for the moment. I've felt that the sound stage has increased a lot. The trebbles are very clear-cut but similar with the onkyo, the medium are ample and warm, but the bass seems more...
Mike1951Posted: 25 November 2018Last Updated: 05 December 2018
There was a recommendation in a previous thread that I tried, because although my Quad speaker stands are supplied with upward-facing spikes, I didn’t fancy having them dig into the underside of my new ATC SM19’s. This was to separate them with four blobs of Bluetack. It worked fine, up to a point, then I thought of trying something a bit less ‘do-it-yourself’ and bought some ‘Audio Serenity ISO-9H’ gel pads. Cheap as chips for a set of eight. Upshot - noticeable improvement in detail and...
yeti42Posted: 04 December 2018Last Updated: 05 December 2018
Back when I had a 282 I was advised to mute record and select an unused input to park it on, which was aux1 in my case. I couldn’t hear much difference at the time so might as well follow the advice. I carried this on when I replaced the 282 with a 552 and during a recent visit to check on the ND555 the same chap who offered the earlier advice 10 years ago now recommends parking the muted record selection on aux2, I also noticed this is where it was parked during a recent demo run by Jason...
Dramatic TenorPosted: 03 December 2018Last Updated: 04 December 2018
Hi folks, I only returned to high fidelity listening a couple of years ago when I finally retrieved my childhood turntable from long term storage at my mother's, who's since moved into an assisted living facility. In any case, that 'table reignited my interest in musical reproduction (as someone who sings several times a week, it was easy enough to ignore the electronic end of music), and I've given myself an education at all the shops in town, reading and visiting this forum. So thanks to...
Malcolm WilsonPosted: 01 December 2018Last Updated: 04 December 2018
My name is Malcolm Wilson and have been into hi-fi since I was fifteen. I bought my main equipment in 2001, a Nait 3 & CD3. My other equipment is Project 3expresions deck with Ortofon 2M blue cartridge. Celestion Dutton 15xr speakers. I also have a dedicated mono system: lenco 70 deck with Ortofon omd25 cartridge. Quad 303 power amp with passive volume control, using the above speakers or a royd sintra speaker. I love classical, jazz and film music the most. You will notice that my...
RaghuVPosted: 28 November 2018Last Updated: 04 December 2018
I have been running Harbeth 30.1s with a Naim Nait 5si and a very budget Musical Fidelity V-90 DAC. From a spell of upgraditis, I bought a used Rotel RA-1570 with a built in DAC and 120 W per channel into 8 ohms. I set up the amp and have been listening to it for the last 2 hours wondering if I made a horrible mistake. The music seems lifeless and dull. Maybe a mistake? Should I wait for a while? Will things improve with age? The Rotel has about 200 hours on it. In agony!
eazyryderPosted: 22 November 2018Last Updated: 04 December 2018
Had my chord hugo for a couple of years now and love its sound signature. My hugo is used solely as a dac in my main system and always left powered on when in use via the provided adapter. I have always worried about battery lifespan and at the time of buying the hugo I was unaware of the 2qute. I am now considering possibly selling and switching to the new chord qutest. I have heard elsewhere that the qutest isnt as musical sounding as the older hugo and has a more clinical sound. Has...
Mike1951Posted: 03 November 2018Last Updated: 03 December 2018
I’m currently using my Sammy mobile to stream online and downloaded music to my B&W PX’s. Sounds good, but I’m wondering if there’s a similarly fuss-free but sonically improved alternative. What thinks the team?
ObsydianPosted: 15 November 2018Last Updated: 03 December 2018
I know we can bend NACA5 with a hair dryer, but my question is how far. I next to bend it at a right angle, is that too much, as in it will cause cable damage ?
piggyPosted: 03 December 2018Last Updated: 03 December 2018
I already have SL Speaker cable and din-din interconnect and now looking at the din-xor between my NAP300 and 552 that are on two stacks of Fraim. Should I choose the 1m or 1.5m? Also any cable dressing tips for this cable as the din-din interconnect was very fussy to get right. Just like to future proof for when/if I should get a nap500 or if this will make any diffrence as 1 meter does seem long enough when the 2 Train stacks are close together. Thanks, Andy