Music Room

Tony2011Posted: 07 January 2018Last Updated: 11 January 2018
Has anyone ever received a parcel with no packaging? Well, I have! They say there is a first time for everything in life but I was not expecting to receive a brand new vinyl with no packaging: just the address label attached to the vinyl shrinking wrap cover itself. Thankfully, the record did survive its journey intact and is now happily being played. Unbelievable!
ConsciousmessPosted: 10 January 2018Last Updated: 11 January 2018
Do any of you become absorbed into music more when the writer soon afterwards died tragically? For instance Nirvana “Live in New York”, in the last track “Where did you sleep last night?” you can hear the pain in his voice, or Beethoven’s 9th Symphony which I hear was piece he wrote as his deafness began or Shannon Mathews from Blind Melon or David Bowie or Prince?
ConsciousmessPosted: 10 December 2017Last Updated: 08 January 2018
Make this an either/or. Personally I go for lyrics, which is probably why I like many Dylan songs. (Putting aside spine tingling moments of harmony some pieces bring! I still vote lyrics.)
GhettoyoutPosted: 05 January 2018Last Updated: 05 January 2018
Here is the most important chart of 2017. If you so wish you can listen to the chart daily at dandelioradio.com until the end of January. There are a number of very fine tracks here, well worth investigating for those with an open mind who enjoy new music. 01 Paul Rooney - Lost High Street 02 The Luxembourg Signal - Laura Palmer 03 Astro-B - Welcome to the Astro-B 04 The Fall - Fol De Rol 05 Idles - Mother 06 Blanck Mass - Please 07 Jeffrey Lewis - Dictator Seeks Reichstag Fire 08 Mogwai -...
BlackmorecPosted: 03 January 2018Last Updated: 03 January 2018
What does losing your wedding ring while cleaning out a stable and Qobuz have in common? You’ve got it! There’s an aweful lot of sh1t to dig through before you find what you’re looking for. Assuming like me you enjoy particular genre’s of music, what’s your strategy for finding new music on these streaming websites? I’ve tried random selection but that’s like going through a dung heap ‘apple by apple’ if you’ll excuse the analogy. Do you have an enjoyable way of finding new music? Is there...
Ardbeg10yPosted: 28 December 2017Last Updated: 02 January 2018
Hi I have a special relation to music of Anton Bruckner. It was in my first year studying music that my music theory teacher let us listen to the opening of Bruckner 4. I admitted for the first time in my life that there is music equally good to music of Johann Sebastian Bach. That is something for an organist. Not surprisingly, Bruckner was a good organist too so there is a link. I have a few recordings which I frequently listen: Bruckner 7 by Staatskapelle Dresden with Thielemann as...
Trevor WilsonPosted: 22 December 2017Last Updated: 01 January 2018
To all Forum members far and wide, As the year 2017 approaches its conclusion I would like to take the opportunity to wish one and all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from all at Naim. Thank you for listening and I hope we can enjoy 2018 together! all the best Trevor
DWoottonPosted: 25 December 2017Last Updated: 01 January 2018
hi just listening to Kate Rusby’s Angels and Men album, followed by Thea Gilmore’ Strange Communion, both of which are very good. any other recommendations on other Christmas / Winter themed albums ta
Richard DanePosted: 01 January 2017Last Updated: 31 December 2017
2017 has arrived today, so time to start this thread afresh. Last year's thread can be found here; http://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/what-are-you-listening-to-and-why-might-anyone-be-interested-vol-xii
Sloop John BPosted: 11 November 2017Last Updated: 29 December 2017
Now that ECM is streaming a lot of its content, what are four favourite ECM albums? These are mine (currently) .sjb
TK421Posted: 28 December 2017Last Updated: 28 December 2017
On the 12/10/2017 myself and SWMBO attended a Uniti Roadshow event at the Norwegian Church in Cardiff. My question is does anybody know where I can find a list of the tracks and artists that were played on the different Uniti models during the event? Your help is very much appreciated.
T38.45Posted: 21 November 2017Last Updated: 24 December 2017
maybe a bit early....here are my most played LPs/ files.... 1. Jamie Saft: loneliness road (can‘t stop spinning this, best Jazz trio recording- Not a single boring note imho) 2. Matthew Halsall: when the world was gone (2016?- it‘s like a musical flood, diving into...) 3. Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunk: Bach H-Moll Messe (download, it sounds great too) 4. Pegido: greetings from Amarillo (tip from audiostream, great guitar transformiert me in the planes...) 5. The Still: the Still (bronze rat...
roosevelt51Posted: 24 December 2017Last Updated: 24 December 2017
India Electric Co India Electric Co. - Seven Sisters [CD EP] Saw them a few nights ago supporting Roy Wood. Superb musianship and creativity. I couldn’t put it better than these quotes: **** “Their reeling, spinning sound corroborates the content of their songs which appear to be describing a life alive with motion. They are altogether a good thing, busy as rush hour but full of light.” - The Independent on Sunday **** “Bursting with invention and full of surprises - The Telegraph ****...
David O'HigginsPosted: 14 December 2017Last Updated: 23 December 2017
I have just treated myself to a 3 year subscription to the digital version of the Gramophone, and I think it is remarkable value. Every edition since 1923 is available together with a database of 30,000 reviews, all for just over £200 for the 3 years. Highly recommended !
av in bcPosted: 23 December 2017Last Updated: 23 December 2017
little project to learn how to use Logic and its instruments, tried to write some songs but it seems that i can't so i did these instead. My wife and her sister sing on one song and i play some guitar on a couple and bass on one. None of us are musicians or anything like that, just done for learning and enjoyment (and some frustrations and disappointment @ times). everything was done with a trackpad in my car. No keyboards. i wanted to make the songs a bit more modern at first but i ended up...
kumaPosted: 05 January 2017Last Updated: 23 December 2017
Ok, my scheduled next concert isn't till Feb but I'll start a new thread for 2017!
SteveWPosted: 14 December 2017Last Updated: 18 December 2017
I know this subject has been thrashed to death, but I still have questions. There are multiple post's expressing the view that Flac files fail to express music in an emotional way, in fact so many that this seems to be the consensus. I am taking it as so (although I am expecting dissenting post's) but I have not seen an explanation as to why that makes sense to me. My question is does anybody know why, can anybody give an understandable explanation why so that a 5 year old like me can...
PeakmanPosted: 03 December 2017Last Updated: 16 December 2017
The centenary of the birth of Finland as an independent nation is on Wednesday. (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong.) So I decided to listen to some Sibelius this afternoon including the following, which includes an outstanding account of the extraordinary Luonnotar and a very fine performance of the Oceanides, both in excellent sound. I thought it might be interesting to hear of other people's favourite discs of Sibelius or other Finnish musicians, during this time of celebration for...
J.N.Posted: 16 December 2017Last Updated: 16 December 2017
Documentary about the making of The Who album on the 'Yesterday' TV channel at 8pm this evening. John.
SNAIC in the GrassPosted: 14 December 2017Last Updated: 14 December 2017
https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-kitten-album-covers/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=thinkingmindspage
BoubaPosted: 12 December 2017Last Updated: 12 December 2017
Good 'noon to all, I was just wondering if anyone here could advise about a reliable website where I could easily download free hi-resolution music, i.e. anything that'd be offered beyond the now "ordinary" CD quality ? I listen to very different genres of music (with the exception of classical) so really looking for a Platform that would propose a very wide and eclectic catalogue; any thoughts ? Many thanks
kumaPosted: 09 December 2017Last Updated: 10 December 2017
Thought this was pretty darn cute! :D
J.N.Posted: 04 December 2017Last Updated: 09 December 2017
Film4, 11:15pm this evening . John.
SNAIC in the GrassPosted: 08 December 2017Last Updated: 08 December 2017
Probably already a threat about this, but I just got it. Really cool...you can see what I really liked to listen to last year. *blush* #3 on my playlist surprised me, but I love "She moved through the fair." There's also a version by Annie Briggs lower down. "Mudmen" at #4...what a fucking song! Oh, Naima...
EborPosted: 04 December 2017Last Updated: 07 December 2017
2017 is the 40th anniversary of the launch of the Voyager probes, both of which carried a golden disc which had recorded on it what has often been described as 'Humanity's Greatest Hits'. With this in mind, it might be an interesting exercise to look at the contents of (y)our collection(s) and see how many of Humanity's Greatest Hits we own recordings of. Here's a list of Voyager's musical contents: https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/golden-record/whats-on-the-record/music/ I reckon I've got...