Music Room

Steve HallPosted: 08 April 2001Last Updated: 08 April 2001
Was having a 'dip my tow in' listening session yesterday, where I just throw a dozen or so CD's at my CDX and play my favourite tracks.Wieredly, track 8 more often than not, seams to be my favourite track.Does this happen to anyone else? Is it a...
GarethPosted: 19 March 2001Last Updated: 05 April 2001
Hello.I must admit I'm a bit fed up with the sorry state of the music industry at the moment with the lack of "real music" being produced. Recent exceptions include JJ72 and Badly drawn boy.I was therefore wondering which bands from the past are worth...
woodfacePosted: 04 April 2001Last Updated: 05 April 2001
Why are their albums always so badly produced? The latest one is atrocious! At low volumes it sounds thin and uninvolving and at high volumes it gives you a headache. Why?
Nigel CavendishPosted: 05 April 2001Last Updated: 05 April 2001
The bass-meister meets free-form jazz, can't possibly work can it?Well, yes it can and superbly too. Wobble's rolling repetitious bass lines almost Can-like in feel underscore Parkers flights of saxophone fancy at the other end of the sonic spectrum....
Andrew L. WeekesPosted: 05 April 2001Last Updated: 05 April 2001
Don't know if any of you have heard this amusing version of the Shaggy track, but it made me chuckle.Caught one-handedAndy.Andrew L. Weekesalweekes@audiophile.com
Matthew TPosted: 05 April 2001Last Updated: 05 April 2001
For any of you who are members of the Britannia classical club a couple of recommendations from the last magazine.Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique (top 100 section)Saint-Saens - Symphony No.3 (Organ) (Extra Choice section)Both these recordings classic...
Andrew RandlePosted: 04 March 2001Last Updated: 04 April 2001
Some kewl discs bought over the previous month.Bugge Wesseltoft "New Conception of Jazz". Jazz with a hint to techno. The Jazz itself is superbly crafted with some clever techno bits'n bobs making for a seamless package.Tosca "Opera". After buying...
Andy MoorePosted: 03 April 2001Last Updated: 03 April 2001
My CD of Strauss' '...Zarathustra' by Fritz Reiner and the CSO (RCA Victor 09026 61494 2)has an orchestra that is reversed, i.e. cellos (celli?) on the left and violins on the right.Has anyone else noticed? Is t a mistake or was it done for a...
woodfacePosted: 01 February 2001Last Updated: 01 April 2001
Some of you may have read my difficulties in obtaining the said CD but I am glad I persisted! I had a good listen to it last night and it really is a superb album and not one that you can pigeonhole. Although many will see it as a Jazz recording it...
Andrew L. WeekesPosted: 29 March 2001Last Updated: 30 March 2001
No, not some strange marriage of the two on one album, but just an enquiry as to what is worth investigating by the above mentioned.As I was in the mood for some upbeat and humorous sounds last night I listened to Thomas Dolby - 'Aliens ate my Buick'...
wal rileyPosted: 28 March 2001Last Updated: 29 March 2001
A couple of years back, someone did a great version of Eric Clapton's 'Change the World' on Later With Jools Holand. It was a female country artist, but her name totally escapes me. Any clues, anyone?
SprogglePosted: 24 March 2001Last Updated: 29 March 2001
Watching Thunderbirds today, I was rather struck by the sound of a clarinet on the sound track. In my first decade of life all clarinets had a similar unmistakable, rich and vivid tone - as far as I can remember. I haven’t been to a live concert...
Dev BPosted: 19 March 2001Last Updated: 26 March 2001
http://www.theonion.com/onion3104/mothership.html
Peter StockwellPosted: 19 March 2001Last Updated: 22 March 2001
I have one that I enjoy immensely, it's called 'Bring the Family', what else has he done that is up to that standard ?ThanksPeter
Andrew L. WeekesPosted: 21 February 2001Last Updated: 21 March 2001
Hi all,Audiostreet have another three pages of sale CD's, all at £5.99 including free delivery in UK.Mainly older stuff but a few more recent releases, I've just spent a small fortune!Go to Audiostreet Sale for more info.Andy.Andrew L. ...
Tim JonesPosted: 20 March 2001Last Updated: 20 March 2001
I heard this legenday Mambo bandleader's version of "Sway" on the radio the other day. Having spent time on the various CD sites (CDNow, etc) I can't find it anywhere.Anyone know which albums it's on? Or is it unobtainable?
cabermacPosted: 10 March 2001Last Updated: 20 March 2001
Okay, I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for cover versions of songs I like. Most of them are horrible to be sure but there are some that bring a new dimension to a tired old favorite or at least make me want to get out the original and compare. Here are 5...
GoosePosted: 14 March 2001Last Updated: 17 March 2001
All of us on this site probably love music alot. Last night I was contemplating which of my favourite bands ( from any era, or genre) have a) NOT compromised their own musical ideas in order to gain commercial success, or when gained commercial...
woodfacePosted: 06 March 2001Last Updated: 16 March 2001
My local dealer lent me this along with a couple of other naim CD's. I honestly thought I would hate it but it is actually pretty good. Kind of folky, whimsy, bluesy (in other words the sort of music I usually dislike)but well worth a listen. I also...
Allan ProbinPosted: 10 March 2001Last Updated: 14 March 2001
Anybody heard/have an opinion on the new album by Nelly Furtado ?I was skulking around the local CD shop today and they played a track from this album ("Whoa, Nelly!") over the shop system. The track I heard was sort of HipHop/Rap, perhaps a touch of...
ken cPosted: 10 March 2001Last Updated: 13 March 2001
hi, anyone know this jazz vocalist. wot do you think?? any particular recomended starting point??many thanksenjoy...ken
Thomas KPosted: 06 March 2001Last Updated: 12 March 2001
About a year ago I got “We Get Requests” and “Very Tall” (with Milt Jackson on vibes) and absolutely love them - both in terms of the music as well as the sound quality, which I find very natural and involving.Yesterday I...
cabermacPosted: 07 March 2001Last Updated: 08 March 2001
Here in the states the band Texas is pretty much unknown. I really like their early albums up to and including White On Blonde, a great album in my opinion. I was curious how they were thought of in Britain? Not sure why I'd like to know but I have...
Paul StephensonPosted: 01 February 2001Last Updated: 06 March 2001
--------------------------------------NAIM CD052 Visual Voice- Bonnie KolocKoloc's voice is clarion-clear yet luxuriously dusky. Her song stylingsarecool yet emotive, beautifully phrased and thoughtfully presented" - TheReaderNAIM CD051 VS-the forces...
JohnPosted: 28 February 2001Last Updated: 05 March 2001
Is anyone familiar with Billie Holiday? I have her Lady in Satin and Ultimate Billie Holiday Collection. I can't get into the Lady in Satin but like some of the songs on the collection. The swinging blues selections with Oscar Peterson are great.From...