Home Theatre

SimonJPosted: 01 December 2004Last Updated: 06 February 2005
I'd say 95% of my DVD's are Region 1, a 5% Region 2 and a handful of Region 3's.Burning question is, will the DVD5 be just Region 2 or will my dealer be able to tweak the firmware with a special CD to make it region free?!
cchua1Posted: 20 January 2005Last Updated: 06 February 2005
After seeking advice on the forum in Nov/Dec 04, I invested heavily in a home theater system featuring Naim electronics (AV2/DVD5/NAP250MkIIx3), Totem loudspeakers (Mani-2 Sig Front, Model 1 Sig Center, Model 1 Rear) & REL subwoofer (Storm III). With help from the M'sian Naim dealer, my HT system was set-up about two weeks ago and has progressively gotten better. Now, I am getting a great picture (Pioneer PCP 50inch Plasma) and truly superb sound. Clean, crisp, holographic imaging, just the...
TimCarter50Posted: 31 January 2005Last Updated: 05 February 2005
Has anyone tried the n-Cent between a pair of SBL's being used for L+R?I currently use the SBL's in phantom mode but know that I am missing a lot of presentation/ detail on the vocal tracks.I have tried a number of centre speaker options over the...
Steve2701Posted: 05 February 2005Last Updated: 05 February 2005
Ok, let me say from the outset, ordinarily I simply do not 'listen' to cables. I find it a tiresome task, and somewhat boring. Many years (20 odd) ago it was suggested in the Hi Fi press that using a seperate (6mm!!) spur to power the Linn / Naim...
cchua1Posted: 30 January 2005Last Updated: 04 February 2005
I've recently bought the DVD-5 & AV2. Had been extremely happy with their performance. Amazing picture (esp. blacks) and great sound. However, there have been a no. of peculiarities which I am not sure is attributable to the DVD-5 or the AV2. Firstly, I have to turn my plasma TV "off and on" to get the DVD-5 video output onto the screen. Otherwise, I just get "snow". Secondly, I have to manually select the audio mode from the DVD menu to get Dolby Digital sound. The default mode in "Auto"...
MadridPosted: 25 January 2005Last Updated: 02 February 2005
Can anyone advise as to the quality of newer formats such as DivX(MPEG-4) compared with DVD?Does Does DivX compare favourably insofar as video and audio quality/resolution with recordings on DVD (which may already be compressed in EP mode)?Cheers,
Johns NaimPosted: 09 January 2005Last Updated: 01 February 2005
HmmmmWhilst browsing throught the various forums, came across this thread in the music forum - as this is the Home Cinema forum, I'd thought I'd post a reply here - it'll be interesting to see if the anti-AV, I like my 78 rpm record crowd actually...
Roy DonaldsonPosted: 25 November 2004Last Updated: 01 February 2005
Hi there,For anyone interested in the new DVD5, or the newer firmware coming out for the AV2, may find the new manual that is now online of interest:http://216.149.62.210/download/man_dvd5-av2_english.pdfCheers,Roy.
Johns NaimPosted: 31 January 2005Last Updated: 01 February 2005
Evening AllLike many here, I have a Naim 2 channel system, to which I have added HT facilities.I am fairly sure, by my own listening, and judging by the comments of many on this forum, that the natural partner to a Naim 2 channel system, so as to...
Neill FergusonPosted: 26 January 2005Last Updated: 31 January 2005
Well All I know this is the Naim forum and other kit does not draw the attention it might here. So here regardless is an update on the system. As you will know my unidisk from Linn gave up the ghost. It was repaired however is still not right after...
Adrian F.Posted: 12 January 2005Last Updated: 31 January 2005
Hello all there!I had a short theoretical talk with a dealer, which I wanted to have acknowledged by naim or someone who has done it himself already.I do have a AV2 which I hope the update would cure a problem. But I don't have a DVD5 (yet?).Up to now...
CjonesPosted: 25 January 2005Last Updated: 27 January 2005
I just recieved an email from the local dealer. They are charging as follows for the Av2 firmware upgrade. Dealer handling charge: $75-Naim Chicago handling charge: $65-Two-way freight: to be determined: $??New PIC chip if required (on early models...
Jason MilnerPosted: 24 January 2005Last Updated: 25 January 2005
Does anyone have any recommendations for these? I'm just finishing off decorating my Cinema room, & about to re-lay the cables, & it occurs to me that there must be a tidier way to do this short of plumbing the cables through the walls (too late for that as I've already painted). On first inspection, there appear to be two options. Simply Computers sell something called Cableater , which comes in at £23.50 per 20 metre strip, plus £3.50 for the applicator tool, but this is only...
Adrian F.Posted: 17 January 2005Last Updated: 22 January 2005
I am torturing my mind with what kind of picture would suit my soundsytem best? Every technology has it's pros and cons and I think you know the basics. Since it has to fit a standard living room and not a separate homecinema room, I had to drop the...
tonymPosted: 21 January 2005Last Updated: 21 January 2005
Hello folks. I'm currently pondering a problem which I'm sure my excellent dealer (Rayleigh Hi-Fi) will be able to answer, but I'd appreciate a bit of advice. It's a bit complicated, and concerns the routing of a video signal to best advantage....
wobrentonPosted: 12 January 2005Last Updated: 21 January 2005
Anyone try this and have any success?
Don AtkinsonPosted: 03 December 2004Last Updated: 20 January 2005
DVD RecordersMy Pioneer 717 player has given up. Or at least the remote control has. I can still play some (music) dvds. But without the remote keys, I can't get the player to jump to film tracks etc.local repairer said its not worth fixing....buy a...
andy cPosted: 09 December 2004Last Updated: 19 January 2005
Hi,due to impending changes to my 2 channel set up, I don't wish to spend the several k required on an AV2. I do, however, want to change the dated Yamaha DSPE492 processor I currently use for something with a little more oooph, and with better...
FozzPosted: 14 January 2005Last Updated: 15 January 2005
Hi there, just wondered if anyone hadhad any experience of yanking speakers out of these on a temporary basis. I run an infocus X1 (aka Screenplay 4800) and have recently noticed the huge improvement in sound when its not in the room when I play...
AncipitalPosted: 26 December 2004Last Updated: 13 January 2005
HiThought I'd let you all know the experiences I have had with the new DVD5. Current player is a Pioneer 737.As the subject says, I managed to get my hands on a DVD5 for a few days a few weeks ago First off, it's got a good weight to it, secondly, it...
Neill FergusonPosted: 10 January 2005Last Updated: 11 January 2005
All, The new year came and my unidisk gave up the ghost, or in other words it went faulty. It is now back at linn for repair. I being a typical scot gave the shop hell poor blokes. Any way they have supplied me with a Meridian G98 Dvd player in the...
Top CatPosted: 26 December 2004Last Updated: 11 January 2005
Hi folks.Yesterday our DVD player died. The trusty donkey that was the Samsung 709 has given sterling service but it was all too clear that it had had its day, and was getting progressively worse at playing most any film. It would jump and corrupt -...
Johns NaimPosted: 06 January 2005Last Updated: 10 January 2005
Afternoon All Well, the Xmas & N/Year festivities have come and gone, and I find myself settling in to the beginning of 2005 with a number of thoughts, ideas and questions about HT floating about in my head - I'm sure there must be a lot of space in there, as they've been 'floating' for quite some time.. So I thought it timely perhaps, to sally forth to my favourite forum, and post a few ideas and questions for general discussion on the subject of HT. So, to start off, in your opinion, what...
neil wPosted: 04 January 2005Last Updated: 06 January 2005
hi all ive recently had an extra sky box in stalled in one of the kids bedroomsnow the problem is when they are watching sky upstairs and i am watching anything thru the av input ( unity gain) i can here thru my speakers what they are watching, its...
Mike in PA, USAPosted: 06 January 2005Last Updated: 06 January 2005
I am currently running "2-channel" home theatre through the AV (DVD player) and AUX2 cable box) inputs of a NAC202. I find this sufficient for now, but have some "what goes where" questions.I have a salamander rack which will at some point be replaced...