Football Season 2017/18

Posted by: Kevin-W on 11 July 2017

As requested by Steve (Paper Plane) on the 16/17 thread, here's a new one for 2017/18. All leagues/divisions welcome.

Come on you Irons!

Posted on: 11 July 2017 by VladtheImpala

Thank you, Kevin.

As an Everton supporter, I'm unusually optimistic for the coming season. A number of good new signings, the return of Wayne Rooney and Koeman still at the helm.

COYB! 

Posted on: 11 July 2017 by fatcat
Kevin-W posted:

all leagues/divisions welcome.

Come on you Irons!

Can I take it, you expect the Hammers to be in championship next season.

Posted on: 11 July 2017 by Kevin-W

Well, FC, if we repeat our stunning transfer window performance of last season, we'll be spending most of this one languishing in the relegation zone...

My prediction for the season.

Lukako will become the next Gary Birtles, sold in the next transfer window.

He has his strengths. He’s powerful, fast and a good finisher.

But, he scores most of his goals against relegation fodder, usually late on in the game when the opposition is pushing lots of defenders forward or disheartened. He struggles to score against the top teams with well organised defences.

It could be argued it will be different at Man U, he’ll be playing with better players. But that wasn’t the case in the Euros last year, it was blatantly obvious his Belgium team mates wouldn’t pass the ball to him in a congested penalty area, it was embarrassing. Good job he didn’t go to Chelsea, Eden hazard was the worst culprit.

Posted on: 11 July 2017 by MDS

Crikey, Kevin. Your lot could be played my lot in the Championship in the 18/19 season. 

Anyway, less than 4 weeks to go. I'm getting excited. Have also missed Jeff Stelling, Soccer AM etc during the summer. 

Posted on: 11 July 2017 by Kevin-W
fatcat posted:

My prediction for the season.

Lukako will become the next Gary Birtles, sold in the next transfer window.

But, he scores most of his goals against relegation fodder.

Yep. Usually us.

You're right.

Up until last season I don't think he'd ever failed to score against the Hammers in an Everton shirt..

Posted on: 15 July 2017 by Chris Dolan
fatcat posted:

Lukako will become the next Gary Birtles 

So that's two "European Cups" in successive years 

Posted on: 15 July 2017 by Spudgun

Another Evertonian here. I'm really looking forward to this season. We've bought astutely and we've bought early for a change. Koeman's getting rid of our  "inferiority complex" players. Brought in skillful players with great work-rate, the tempo will be totally different and we won't have to tailor our play to just the one striker. I really like what's happening!

COYB!

Posted on: 15 July 2017 by VladtheImpala
Spudgun posted:

Another Evertonian here. I'm really looking forward to this season. We've bought astutely and we've bought early for a change. Koeman's getting rid of our  "inferiority complex" players. Brought in skillful players with great work-rate, the tempo will be totally different and we won't have to tailor our play to just the one striker. I really like what's happening!

COYB!

Yes, a very refreshing change to our usual transfer dealings! I don't think Koeman's trading is done yet - Sigurdsson and another striker according to the rumour mill at work.

I think Lukaku will score a shedload for the Mankychester Utd but will give it until Christmas before "His Satanic Majesty" Mourinho starts to criticise him openly. Isn't it this season the Divine Mr M he is scheduled to fall out with his current club?

COYB!

Posted on: 15 July 2017 by MDS

Looks like the Toffee's are shaping up for a good season.  But, sorry guys, it must hurt that you're still only going to be second best in the city. 

MDS posted:

Looks like the Toffee's are shaping up for a good season.  But, sorry guys, it must hurt that you're still only going to be second best in the city. 

Is our new stadium in finished already and in Madrid???

Posted on: 15 July 2017 by fatcat
MDS posted:

We’ve never been second best.

Posted on: 15 July 2017 by MDS

Blimey! Are the thinking of Accrington or Tranmere perhaps?  

Posted on: 15 July 2017 by Chris Dolan

Marine? 

Not that I'm in any way a bitter Blue, but did you know that an anagram of Anfield is fan lied? I'm an easy going person so I'm prepared just to call them deluded.

Does anyone know the difference between Anfield and Anfield cemetery? Me neither.

Posted on: 15 July 2017 by fatcat

My dads in anfield cemetery. He’ll be turning in his grave.

fatcat posted:

My dads in anfield cemetery. He’ll be turning in his grave.

Probably trying to turn his back on Anfield! Apologies for the irreverence.

The rivalry between EFC and the other lot makes for odd behaviour. A Blue relative of mine worked in the city center and commuted in by car. The quickest route was past "The Other Place" but he always took a route by which it was not possible to see it!

Posted on: 15 July 2017 by thebigfredc

Yes looking forward to September and the start of the season.

I fancy a Dallas v Atlanta super bowl this year.

Ray

Posted on: 15 July 2017 by sjbabbey

Spudgun, nice pic of Neston Street. Shame about the dump at the end of it.

Posted on: 16 July 2017 by Kevin-W

Looks like we are getting a Hart transplant....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40625646

Posted on: 16 July 2017 by Chris Dolan
Kevin-W posted:

I thought that it was going to be Miranda - similar ability 

Posted on: 17 July 2017 by Tabby cat
Kevin-W posted:

Great business if you do Kev.Great keeper why we sent him on lone for Bravo was a bit of a rik.

Well pleased that City have got Kyle Walker from the Spuds......f###ing awesome defender.

Think he will be brilliant, especially as Pep loves his defenders going on the attack.

Cant wait to our first game away to Brighton.....and I have a ticket.

How was the Frapp last weekend ?

Wishing you a good day Kev

Posted on: 17 July 2017 by MDS
Kevin-W posted:

A good keeper, and likely highly motivated to show Pep he was wrong. Very good signing if your lot pull it off,  

Posted on: 17 July 2017 by Christopher_M

Plenty of self-belief but does he have a weakness at the left hand post though?

(I think I may have read that somewhere, apologies if I've mixed him up with some other goalie).