Evolving the Naim Forum

Posted by: Charlie Henderson on 10 January 2019

Hi everyone,

For the Naim family, conversation and discussion is everything (apart from the music of course!)

We love to encourage the debate and support the sharing of some extraordinary expertise across the Naim Forum, and it is one of the foundations of our world. We all participate in the community in different ways, and to varying degrees, but one thing is for sure, it is fascinating, informative, passionate, and loads of fun.

So, we want to make it even easier to do this, and we’re going to be moving to a new Forum software platform from Tuesday 15th January 2019. Yes, it’ll be a change, but we're not just changing things for the sake of it. It’s a decision that’s not been taken lightly, and is simply intended to make it easier for you all to continue to do what you do best – share your thoughts, frustrations, expertise and aspirations. For example, you’ll be able to access elements of the Forum more easily from more devices, but the fundamentals of the Forum will remain as they are today.

And it goes without saying, you’ll be able to access and search all old and current topics. It may take a couple of weeks as we continue preparing an archive of all existing Forum posts, but we will lose nothing as we make the transition.

One of the great features of the new Forum is the ability to run polls. We intend to use these intensively as a feedback tool to create a more dynamic community, shaped by the feedback you provide, but it also gives all Forum members the opportunity to run their own polls too. Other features include the ability to access the Forum through a mobile app and post images directly, making the Forum a much more visually exciting place too. 

I’m sure some may be concerned by the move but we are doing this to help evolve and continue supporting the Naim Forum as the heart of our community. We look forward to feedback as the team move things across, and please bear with us as we do so, it’s a significant team effort. I’m sensitive to the fact that the change may not suit everyone straight away, but we’re genuinely doing it for the right reasons – to ensure the future of the Naim Forum as the heart of our community.

There is a link to FAQs relating to this HERE.

Thanks,
Charlie, Richard, and the Naim Forum team.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by ChrisSU

Thanks for expressing your continued commitment to the Forum, Charlie. I think the Scottish guys made a mistake getting rid of theirs, and I’m sure many of us are glad to hear that you see some value in keeping this one going. 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Adam Zielinski

Good luck! Look forward to the new, all singing, all dancing forum

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Kevin-W

Will our forum rankings be maintained [@mention:77737380917463397]?

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by ChrisSU
Kevin-W posted:

They will be recalculated based on points not earned in the What are you listening to thread 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by David O'Higgins

Tuesday 15th of what month?

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by FangfossFlyer
ChrisSU posted:

Thanks for expressing your continued commitment to the Forum, Charlie. I think the Scottish guys made a mistake getting rid of theirs, and I’m sure many of us are glad to hear that you see some value in keeping this one going. 

I agree and look forward to the new Naim Forum.

Richard

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Dave J

Will it be less of a faff to post pictures?

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Tony2011
David O'Higgins posted:

It’s all there in Charlie’s FAQ  for those who bother  to read it:

When will the old Forum stop working?
The old Forum will cease operation on the 15th January 2019 at 8am (GMT) and will be removed from the website for a short while. It will them come back online as an archive, available to be browsed and searched for years to come.”

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by dave marshall
Kevin-W posted:

................... blimey, I can see a few feathers being ruffled over that one!   

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Bert Schurink

I think the simplification of image publishing will be a huge thing, let’s see how happy we will be with the end result .....

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Bert Schurink

The creation of a new account etc, is kind of a pity, would have been nice to be able to log on with the old account.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Gazza
dave marshall posted:
Kevin-W posted:

................... blimey, I can see a few feathers being ruffled over that one!   

I have no clue why feathers would be ruffled, lost on me.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Kevin-W
Gazza posted:
dave marshall posted:
Kevin-W posted:

Yeah, but you're not [@mention:1566878603963027]

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Allan Milne

I hope that your new software platform adheres to W3C WCAG to allow me to continue interacting with my Jaws screen reader.

This is 2019 and inclusivity is a must … I trust you have tested this new software platform for accessibility and usability … no excuses not to … you must have included blind users in your beta testing, didn't you?

Allan

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Yetizone

Very interesting decision to move the forum host. Look forward to seeing how it all pans out. Good luck with the transition! For the forum ranking watchers, anyone remember the prisoner? Who is No1?

Kevin-W posted:
Gazza posted:
dave marshall posted:
Kevin-W posted:

No, but I don,t care, no clue where I sit, and no need to find out.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by james n
Charlie Henderson posted:

One of the great features of the new Forum is the ability to run polls.

Naim forum Brexit referendum poll - yay !

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Clive B
Gazza posted:
Kevin-W posted:
Gazza posted:
dave marshall posted:
Kevin-W posted:

203. There you go, Gazza, you do know now!

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by dave marshall
Gazza posted:
dave marshall posted:
Kevin-W posted:

Kevin's enquiry, (as yet unanswered), made me chuckle, as I suspect that to some, their Community Ranking is much more important to them than is strictly healthy.

Sorry, it's just the old cynic in me coming out! 

Clive B posted:
Gazza posted:
Kevin-W posted:
Gazza posted:
dave marshall posted:
Kevin-W posted:

203. There you go, Gazza, you do know now!

Might be useful on a London marathon running vest...?

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Peter1480

Hope it goes better than the Headfi move did a couple of years ago. Fingers crossed for us.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Mike-B

Looking forward to the 15th,  & thanks for the advanced warning.   I see this as a very positive indicator that Naim do see value in maintaining a closer & more personal contact with the customer base and to go for a new forum with enhanced features underscores that Naim are indeed committed - unlike the Scottish clan.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by ChrisH

Thanks for the update, look forward to checking out the new space!

ps. The current forum got a right battering when it was introduced, which I never understood, it was different to the one before, but that was it, just different, not worse. I hope the new version fares better, lots of positivity here so far though, so that’s a good sign

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by David O'Higgins
Tony2011 posted:
David O'Higgins posted:

It’s all there in Charlie’s FAQ  for those who bother  to read it:

When will the old Forum stop working?
The old Forum will cease operation on the 15th January 2019 at 8am (GMT) and will be removed from the website for a short while. It will them come back online as an archive, available to be browsed and searched for years to come.”

Thanks Tony. Shouldn’t have to read FAQ for the date.

David

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Chief Chirpa.
Kevin-W posted:

Never mind that...

Save our sausage. 

#sos