Music on Special Offer Thread?

Posted by: sjt on 14 December 2016

I am wondering if it would be legit to have a thread in here dedicated to music album downloads from legitimate retailers that are currently on special offer.

As an example I was just looking through the what are you listening to mega thread just now and came across the Melody Gardot record because someone was listening to it. I have wanted this for a while but it was always expensive (about 20 quid). On a whim I went over to a place I usually go to buy music downloads and by a blind stroke of luck it was on special offer at just over half price. Deluxe edition is cheaper than the standard edition! I bought it straight away.

So I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to posting albums that are on special offer at the moment with not-so-subtle hints as to where you could get them from, when the offer expires and how much is knocked off etc, so people could see instantly anything that was on special. It would certainly be a thread I would come back to often.

I did a search and couldn't find anything like this in the forum, but usually the searches on these forums are rubbish so this is not a guarantee!

There might need to be a few rules, e.g. the poster has no affiliation with the seller, only legitimate download shops / sites etc.

Just a thought still in the half-bakery...

Posted on: 15 May 2017 by Bertie Norman

Just quick comment re Music Magpie. I have bought a lot of CDs from them over the last couple of months - exceptional value. They list on both ebay and Amazon (as well as their own site). I have found that items may not be listed on all 3 sites and there are sometimes price differences even when postage on Amazon is taken into account. The differences aren't huge but if you are buying a lot of discs and you can effectively get a free CD for every 4 or 5 that you buy -then  why not?

BN

Posted on: 15 May 2017 by Yetizone

Likewise, I’ve bought quite a few CD’s from Music Magpie over the last few months and at least one or two discs (per batch of ten or so), were in such poor condition with scratches or surface wear, or where the inner metal foil had started to pit and degrade, that they would not rip via DBPowermap (using two different CD readers). In each case I contacted customer services and a replacement was sent out or a refund issued. A little frustrating, as to date the overall quality of CD’s has been excellent. Can't fault the customers service though - its superb.

I think I've probably just been unlucky with the recent orders. I certainly still consider them a valuable resource for trying out new albums or filling gaps in the collection

Posted on: 20 May 2017 by Stevee_S

Many of Hopkinson Smith's 16-Bit (CD quality) albums have  good price reductions at the moment (about 40% off) on Qobuz available for the next 30 days here: http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/int...?qref=dac_2&s=pe

Posted on: 31 May 2017 by Jeroen20

Their is a 20% discount on turtle records. Their site offer very high quality downloads in mainly classical music.

https://www.spiritofturtle.com/?v=796834e7a283

Posted on: 02 June 2017 by Jeroen20

Free LSO album download; Download the Best of the LSO in FLAC 96/24 bit with code EPICLSO

www.primephonic.com

Posted on: 02 June 2017 by Bruce Woodhouse

The new Al-J album 'Relaxer' is just £7.19 in CD quality from Qobuz at the moment, and £10.79 high res. Seems reasonable when even the mp3 is a tenner from Amazon..

Reviews bit mixed, will probably still give it a go.

Bruce

Posted on: 02 June 2017 by Dave***t
Jeroen20 posted:

Free LSO album download; Download the Best of the LSO in FLAC 96/24 bit with code EPICLSO

www.primephonic.com

Superb, thanks for that!

Posted on: 06 June 2017 by Bert Schurink

Roger Waters - selected albums on Qobuz, with Sublime even better prices

Posted on: 06 June 2017 by Innocent Bystander
Bert Schurink posted:

Roger Waters - selected albums on Qobuz, with Sublime even better prices

If you don't subscribe to sublime, it's cheaper from highresaudio, which is fromwhere I have just downloaded.

Posted on: 07 June 2017 by hungryhalibut

EClassical have the Chiaroscuro Quartet's new album of Haydn Sun Quartets for $11. The first volume was excellent; this is the second. 

Posted on: 11 June 2017 by northpole

Bankruptcy looms - Qobuz have launched a discount promotion on the Warner Bros catalogue.  I'm not sure if there are better bargains to be found, but what a consolidated treasure chest this is!!

Peter

Posted on: 11 June 2017 by Harry

I got the email offering a sublime discount. but I'm struggling to find a cache of cheap WB downloads. Is there a section on the website?

Posted on: 11 June 2017 by northpole

Not sure how much of the WB catalogue this represents however, the link is below

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/sea...inter&i=boutique

Peter

Posted on: 11 June 2017 by Harry

Thanks Peter.

Posted on: 13 June 2017 by Jeroen20

Mozart - Complete Keyboard Sonatas & Variations

Deal of the day at eclassical.com

Posted on: 24 June 2017 by Stampie

Qobuz UK has the Radiohead OK Computer OKNOTOK release 24/96 for £9.59 - compared to £18.99 at HDTracks! The CD is £10, so a pretty good deal in my book.

Posted on: 27 June 2017 by Bert Schurink

From release the long ships on Bandcamp, have already their albums...

Posted on: 04 July 2017 by Bert Schurink

A bit frustrating for me as I already own a lot of it. But an additional 30 percent on top of key classical album of the last season.....at Qobuz

Posted on: 04 July 2017 by Nick Lees

I'm struggling with both your last two posts Bert.

Gary Shaw posted:

I'm struggling with both your last two posts Bert.

Gary why are you struggling. Are you not seeing the picture I posted, it does show up for me....., or what's the issue ?

Posted on: 04 July 2017 by Nick Lees

I see no picture in the long ships post (so I have no idea what or who that is, and I can't make much out of the Retrospective picture. It's where a few more words would say much more than a picture!

Gary Shaw posted:

I see no picture in the long ships post (so I have no idea what or who that is, and I can't make much out of the Retrospective picture. It's where a few more words would say much more than a picture!

Ok will consider that for future posts - thanks. Posting pictures has become a hit and miss after Photobucket stopped there free service.

Posted on: 06 July 2017 by sjt

In anticipation of the new Public Service Broadcasting LP being released tomorrow, I just went on Qobuz UK and some of their other records are dead cheap: Race for space high res = £6, Live at Brixton = £4! Actually slightly cheaper on 7 digital. They must be doing some kind of promo for the new record, which I will buy tomorrow.

Posted on: 13 July 2017 by Nick Lees

Olivier Messaien - Complete Organ Works

Played by Hans-Ola Ericsson for BIS - a bargain on Qobuz for £15.99

Posted on: 14 July 2017 by Ardbeg10y
Gary Shaw posted:

Olivier Messaien - Complete Organ Works

Played by Hans-Ola Ericsson for BIS - a bargain on Qobuz for £15.99

Bought! Thanks for the suggestion. I don't like Messiaen, but it is perfectly performed and recorded. Messiaens organ repertoire is quite a must have. I feel that I will like it after some extensive, in-depth listening.