Music on Special Offer Thread?

Posted by: sjt on 14 December 2016

I am wondering if it would be legit to have a thread in here dedicated to music album downloads from legitimate retailers that are currently on special offer.

As an example I was just looking through the what are you listening to mega thread just now and came across the Melody Gardot record because someone was listening to it. I have wanted this for a while but it was always expensive (about 20 quid). On a whim I went over to a place I usually go to buy music downloads and by a blind stroke of luck it was on special offer at just over half price. Deluxe edition is cheaper than the standard edition! I bought it straight away.

So I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to posting albums that are on special offer at the moment with not-so-subtle hints as to where you could get them from, when the offer expires and how much is knocked off etc, so people could see instantly anything that was on special. It would certainly be a thread I would come back to often.

I did a search and couldn't find anything like this in the forum, but usually the searches on these forums are rubbish so this is not a guarantee!

There might need to be a few rules, e.g. the poster has no affiliation with the seller, only legitimate download shops / sites etc.

Just a thought still in the half-bakery...

Posted on: 12 March 2017 by Innocent Bystander
intothevoid posted:

Beethoven's 9th - Gustavo Dudamel in 24/96 now FREE on Qobuz http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/pages/dudamel

Thanks for the tip - free music is always great! IT's the second of Dudamel's album's I've had free from Qobuz: makes me wonder if I should be watching more closely!

Posted on: 14 March 2017 by sjt

Another blue note bargain from qobuz:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...73#69567902142278673

Is it legit to post links to this forum?!

Posted on: 14 March 2017 by Jeroen20

That's indeed a bargain. It is also the RVG edition which makes it even better.

Posted on: 16 March 2017 by Nick Lees

Reminder that Qobuz are still running their Erased Tapes promotion (30% off) so a good opportunity to top up your Nils Frahm and Olafur Arnalds collections.

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/lab...-albums?s=sf#results

And of course the sublime discounts make them even more irresistible!

Posted on: 16 March 2017 by hungryhalibut

It's time for another Maria Callas 95% off special. 

Ye gods and little fishes no! 

I spent a year as a student in a flat with a Callas fanboy and it's scarred me for life! For goodness' sake woman, if you have to shriek at the top of your voice at least take those olives out of your mouth!

In (some) jest. YMMV...

I didn't mean 95% off Maria Callas, rather a repeat of the Callas box set cockup when it was reduced from £130 to £7. Which is what I should have said! Erased tapes complete collection for a fiver - now that would be good. 

It was understood HH, but my 14 year old inner self finally gave way to the Callasophobia that's been bubbling up for some time.

#scarredforlife

Sorry Gary, I underestimated you there. I forget that others are sharper than me. 

Posted on: 17 March 2017 by docbot

Some Riverside recordings on offer at QOBUZ. Just bought Bill Evans' Portrait in Jazz £3.48 for hires on sublime.

Posted on: 18 March 2017 by sjt
docbot posted:

Some Riverside recordings on offer at QOBUZ. Just bought Bill Evans' Portrait in Jazz £3.48 for hires on sublime.

Even without sublime its a bargain at 6 quid down from 11. I bought it. Another great spot!

Posted on: 22 March 2017 by Yetizone

Rhiannon Giddens: Freedom Highway. Via Qobuz.

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/alb...iddens/0075597939583

This months Hi-Fi Choice Magazine ‘Album of the Month’ so I decided to take a risk knowing little about her work. First listen and I think its rather good. Currently reduced (from £15) for the next 7 days at Qobuz at a bargain-tastic £7.94.

Posted on: 22 March 2017 by Bert Schurink

30 percent off for Enja records at Qobuz...

Posted on: 22 March 2017 by Bert Schurink

Also at Qobuz 

Posted on: 23 March 2017 by nickpeacock

This comes out on 7th April - under a tenner for what looks like 8 albums (on 4 CDs):

From Amazon:

Bridging the gap between big band, modal, third wave and jazz fusion, across more than five decades, Gil Evans will be forever recognised as one of the leading and most daring composers and arrangers to have worked in the jazz genre. A highly talented pianist in his own right, Evans was best known for his work organising and conducting groups and orchestras for other artists, such as those of Charlie Parker, Johnny Mathis and, most notably, Miles Davis. However, Evans also produced a series of exceptional albums under his own name, which received widespread praise from critics, particularly those he released during the late 1950s and early 1960s. It remains this body of work that most readily recalls the pure genius of this master musician, whose enormous influence on the development of jazz is unquestionable. By the end of the 1940s, Evans modest New York apartment had become a popular hangout for young jazz musicians, including Gerry Mulligan, George Russell, Lee Konitz, George Russell and Miles Davis. It was through these meetings that the Miles Davis nonet was formed, and following a short engagement at the Royal Roost club in New York, produced the sessions that would be released as Birth Of The Cool (Capitol, 1957), for which Evans provided the arrangements. By the end of the decade this partnership had produced three more classic albums: Miles Ahead (Columbia, 1957), Porgy And Bess (Columbia, 1958) and the Grammy Award-winning Sketches Of Spain (Columbia, 1960). This would be their most fruitful period, although they would sporadically work together throughout the 1960s, and again in the 1980s. This four disc collection, containing over five hours of music, features the entirety of Gil Evans solo output during the 1950s and 1960s. In addition, this set houses a selection of the finest material recorded by Gil and Miles Davis together, and includes all of Evans compositions recorded by the duo. Demonstrating the magnificent talents of Gil Evans as a musician, arranger and composer, this compilation is both a fine introduction to this maestro s work and a welcome reminder of his enduring influence, enormous legacy and sublime output.

Posted on: 23 March 2017 by Jeroen20

Only 2,83 euro at Qobuz!

Posted on: 23 March 2017 by Nich
nickpeacock posted:

This comes out on 7th April - under a tenner for what looks like 8 albums (on 4 CDs):

From Amazon:

Bridging the gap between big band, modal, third wave and jazz fusion, across more than five decades, Gil Evans will be forever recognised as one of the leading and most daring composers and arrangers to have worked in the jazz genre. A highly talented pianist in his own right, Evans was best known for his work organising and conducting groups and orchestras for other artists, such as those of Charlie Parker, Johnny Mathis and, most notably, Miles Davis. However, Evans also produced a series of exceptional albums under his own name, which received widespread praise from critics, particularly those he released during the late 1950s and early 1960s. It remains this body of work that most readily recalls the pure genius of this master musician, whose enormous influence on the development of jazz is unquestionable. By the end of the 1940s, Evans modest New York apartment had become a popular hangout for young jazz musicians, including Gerry Mulligan, George Russell, Lee Konitz, George Russell and Miles Davis. It was through these meetings that the Miles Davis nonet was formed, and following a short engagement at the Royal Roost club in New York, produced the sessions that would be released as Birth Of The Cool (Capitol, 1957), for which Evans provided the arrangements. By the end of the decade this partnership had produced three more classic albums: Miles Ahead (Columbia, 1957), Porgy And Bess (Columbia, 1958) and the Grammy Award-winning Sketches Of Spain (Columbia, 1960). This would be their most fruitful period, although they would sporadically work together throughout the 1960s, and again in the 1980s. This four disc collection, containing over five hours of music, features the entirety of Gil Evans solo output during the 1950s and 1960s. In addition, this set houses a selection of the finest material recorded by Gil and Miles Davis together, and includes all of Evans compositions recorded by the duo. Demonstrating the magnificent talents of Gil Evans as a musician, arranger and composer, this compilation is both a fine introduction to this maestro s work and a welcome reminder of his enduring influence, enormous legacy and sublime output.

Many thanks for this - ordered!! I've been considering purchasing one of his albums for some time now, so this perfect timing!!

Posted on: 23 March 2017 by sjt

I have noticed that Juno download do a few multi-disc albums for about £12 flac. For example Massive Attack - the singles (inc all the remixes) 61 tracks, about 5 hours = £12. Also, Klaus Schulze and Pete Namlook  - The Dark Side Of The Moog, 49 tracks (dunno how long yet cos I only just got it) - same price!

Posted on: 26 March 2017 by Jeroen20

Complete Schubert symphonies by Marc Minkowski for only E8,09 (this is the high res version). 

http://www.qobuz.com/nl-nl/alb...kowski/0822189021870

Posted on: 26 March 2017 by Harry

That's a good one. Thank you.

Posted on: 26 March 2017 by Innocent Bystander
Jeroen20 posted:

Complete Schubert symphonies by Marc Minkowski for only E8,09 (this is the high res version). 

http://www.qobuz.com/nl-nl/alb...kowski/0822189021870

Nice tip.

though some people think he only wrote one, ond didn't finish it!

Posted on: 26 March 2017 by Richard Morris

Ella, Complete Songbooks, £12.49 FLAC. 244 tracks.

http://www.junodownload.com/pr...ng-books/3360039-02/

Posted on: 26 March 2017 by Richard Morris
Jeroen20 posted:

Only 2,83 euro at Qobuz!

If you search Qobuz on Enja and then sort by price you'll find a lot at £2.26

Posted on: 28 March 2017 by AndyP19

Qobuz are doing the wonderful 3 box set Completely Under the Covers by the beautiful duo of Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs - 60 tracks (16 bit Cd Quality) for £7.99 some great stuff here.  (Each individual box is £7.99)

Posted on: 31 March 2017 by Yetizone

Silver Eye, the latest Goldfrapp album is available in HD 24-Bit /44-Khz version at a reduced intro price of £10.99 over on  price 7 Digital. Be quick as they only hold these offers open for a couple of days, sometimes only 24 hours...

https://www.7digital.com/featu...hR/deals-of-the-week