Music on Special Offer Thread?

Posted by: sjt on 14 December 2016

I am wondering if it would be legit to have a thread in here dedicated to music album downloads from legitimate retailers that are currently on special offer.

As an example I was just looking through the what are you listening to mega thread just now and came across the Melody Gardot record because someone was listening to it. I have wanted this for a while but it was always expensive (about 20 quid). On a whim I went over to a place I usually go to buy music downloads and by a blind stroke of luck it was on special offer at just over half price. Deluxe edition is cheaper than the standard edition! I bought it straight away.

So I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to posting albums that are on special offer at the moment with not-so-subtle hints as to where you could get them from, when the offer expires and how much is knocked off etc, so people could see instantly anything that was on special. It would certainly be a thread I would come back to often.

I did a search and couldn't find anything like this in the forum, but usually the searches on these forums are rubbish so this is not a guarantee!

There might need to be a few rules, e.g. the poster has no affiliation with the seller, only legitimate download shops / sites etc.

Just a thought still in the half-bakery...

Posted on: 31 March 2017 by Stevee_S

Its not exactly on special offer but its cheaper (at the moment) than buying the CD + postage 16/44.1 download via Qobuz £8.79.

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/alb...dfrapp/5414939952234

Posted on: 31 March 2017 by Yetizone

I didn't say it was on special offer, just a reduce price

Posted on: 31 March 2017 by jon h

did they *really* record it at 24bit 44khz? really???

Posted on: 31 March 2017 by Stevee_S
Yetizone posted:

I didn't say it was on special offer, just a reduce price

You did indeed but I was responding to the thread topic "Music on Special Offer", hence my posting "Its not exactly on special offer but"... 

Posted on: 01 April 2017 by Yetizone

Music Magpie. 2 Pre-Owned CD’s for £3. As always, being a 2nd hand store its a lottery as to what’s available.  After scrolling through the usual tat and greatest hits albums, I’ve just found a few collection gap fillers for small change...

LINK

Posted on: 01 April 2017 by BigH47

Music Magpie was ZOverstocks and has a very consistent quality.

I have an extremely low "fault" count with them, any problems have always been sorted.

Posted on: 01 April 2017 by Dave***t

Same here. Most recent acquisition was a Madeleine Peyroux album for £1.39 (after hearing Dance Me To The End... for the umpteenth time on RP and finally caving in). Ridiculous value.

Posted on: 01 April 2017 by Timmo1341
Dave***t posted:

Same here. Most recent acquisition was a Madeleine Peyroux album for £1.39 (after hearing Dance Me To The End... for the umpteenth time on RP and finally caving in). Ridiculous value.

Couldn't agree more - of all the used traders using Amazon's Marketplace I find Music Magpie to be consistently head and shoulders above the rest for price, condition and delivery speed. They obviously succeed with a business model that puts massive volume/turnover at it's head, but if it continues to deliver to this consumer, more power to their elbow!

Posted on: 01 April 2017 by Timmo1341
Dave***t posted:

Thanks for this - just had a quick listen via Spotify, cd ordered via MM moments later (had to pay £1.46p, but hey ho...!). A new artist to me, looking forward to exploring her back catalogue.

Posted on: 01 April 2017 by Innocent Bystander

Am I missing something? I tried Magpie's site but found it really difficult to browse. Is it only geared up to searching for specific things?

Posted on: 01 April 2017 by Dave***t
Timmo1341 posted:
Dave***t posted:

Thanks for this - just had a quick listen via Spotify, cd ordered via MM moments later (had to pay £1.46p, but hey ho...!). A new artist to me, looking forward to exploring her back catalogue.

Hope you enjoy it. I'm not that familiar with her work myself yet, I just heard her voice, and was surprised to find that Billie Holiday was alive and well, and was an American woman living in Paris singing Leonard Cohen songs

Posted on: 03 April 2017 by ChrisSU
Innocent Bystander posted:

Am I missing something? I tried Magpie's site but found it really difficult to browse. Is it only geared up to searching for specific things?

The website is a bit rubbish, but worth the hassle for the often extremely cheap prices. I notice that they seem to be selling more and more via eBay and Amazon these days, and sometimes they have stuff listed there that isn't found on their own website. 

Posted on: 03 April 2017 by Jeroen20

Not a special offer, but a good deal imo:

Gene Harris - Another night in London for only E5,99 at Qobuz (CD quality)

http://www.qobuz.com/nl-nl/alb...harris/0724101742927

Posted on: 04 April 2017 by AndyP19

Not a special offer as such but some very interesting bands/prices on the Akarma label via Qobuz.

Most of their stuff is 60's/70's Psychedelia/Prog Rock and if that's your bag then it's well worth a trawl through the 20 odd pages of albums.

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/lab...oad-streaming-albums

I did a massive haul last week but a prior listen and homework check on rateyourmusic.com is recommended as most of the bands were unknown to me.

Posted on: 11 April 2017 by Jeroen20

https://www.primephonic.com has an Easter sale, 30% off on selected albums.

Posted on: 16 April 2017 by Jeroen20

Not a special offer. But a bargain.

Art Blakey complete Blue Note 1960 recordings (58 tracks) for only 4,99 euro at Qobuz (CD quality).

http://www.qobuz.com/nl-nl/alb...engers/3614972717148

Posted on: 17 April 2017 by Richard Morris

Ella, complete Decca Singles on Juno (4 vols).

Posted on: 26 April 2017 by Bert Schurink

Edition Records is celebrating 9 years - by 30 percent off on all titles until the first of May...

Posted on: 26 April 2017 by sjt

Not a special offer but I reckon this looks like a bargain on Amazon at £17:

1 The Beatles [Limited Edition] [CD+Blu-ray,Deluxe Edition,Box set]

Posted on: 28 April 2017 by Dave J
Bert Schurink posted:

Edition Records is celebrating 9 years - by 30 percent off on all titles until the first of May...

Yes, some brilliant stuff available, particularly if you're into Scandi-Jazz.  If you visit their page on Bandcamp, you need to use the code "weare9" for the 30% discount.

Posted on: 28 April 2017 by Motel Blues

Somewhat improbably, the new Feist album "Pleasure" is available for £10 from hdtracks.co.uk (24/48) at the moment.

If you use the discount code HDAPRIL28UK at the checkout, which gives 15% off storewide, it goes down to £8.50.

*happy dance*

Posted on: 01 May 2017 by Yetizone

Music Magpie - May Day 20% Discount. Just a few hours left to take advantage of their Bank Holiday sale...

http://store.musicmagpie.co.uk...usic/?condition=used

Use Code: MAYBANK20

Posted on: 10 May 2017 by Bert Schurink

Eclassical deal of the day for fans of fortepiano...

Beethoven – The Complete Piano Sonatas
Label
BIS
Genres
Instrumental
Composers
Beethoven, Ludwig van
Performers
Brautigam, Ronald
Instruments
Fortepiano
Periods
Classical
Romantic
9 SACDs for the price of 4

Choc, Classica

“There’s no point making a list of highlights as there are no weak performances here; just choose a favourite Beethoven Sonata and hear it refreshed, revitalised and illuminated. …the recordings are impeccable.” BBC Music Magazine; “The playing is sensational. …Brautigam’s late sonatas are never less than masterful…” Gramophone

The 32 Piano Sonatas by Ludwig van Beethoven are often referred to as the ‘New Testament’ of the keyboard literature, following on the ‘Old Testament’ of J.S. Bach's 48 preludes and fugues in the Well-Tempered Clavier. Composed over a period of almost three decades, from 1795 to 1822, the sonatas constitute a fascinating panorama of an artistic career which underwent numerous changes – not to say upheavals – but nevertheless remained remarkably consistent.

Ever since the first recording of the entire cycle, by Artur Schnabel in the 1930s, a number of the world's leading pianists have given us their performances of this monumental collection on disc. One of the latest cycles is that of Ronald Brautigam, released on single discs between 2004 and 2010. Performed on the fortepiano, as part of a series of Beethoven's complete solo keyboard works, Brautigam's recordings have been described as ‘riveting’, ‘compelling’ and ‘revolutionary’. The eight discs with the 32 sonatas are now being released as a boxed set, along with a ninth disc containing the early, unnumbered sonatas.

Contributing factors to the ‘refreshing directness’ that reviewers have experienced in these performances are the widely praised recorded sound and the carefully selected instruments, built by Paul McNulty after originals from 1788-1819 by the foremost Viennese makers of fortepianos. For this boxed set, the original SACD format has been retained – along with the possibility of listening to the performances in surround – thus offering the opportunity of sharing the experience of one reviewer: ‘One has almost the impression of being a contemporary of Beethoven’s: one of the first, infinitely startled – not to say shocked – witnesses to this music’ (Süddeutsche Zeitung).

Producer for this Bundle, as indeed basically all records with Ronald Brautigam, is Ingo Petry. Hide

Posted on: 13 May 2017 by Jeroen20

Qobuz has the ECM New Series label on special offer.

http://www.qobuz.com/nl-nl/sea...;i=boutique&s=sf

Posted on: 15 May 2017 by Ardbeg10y
Jeroen20 posted:

Qobuz has the ECM New Series label on special offer.

http://www.qobuz.com/nl-nl/sea...;i=boutique&s=sf

This is going to cost money. Does one know by accident if the designer doing the booklets is colourblind?