Football season 2018/19

Posted by: Kevin-W on 15 July 2018

Now the World Cup's over, it's time to turn our attention to the domestic leagues in the UK, Europe, South America and elsewhere...

So here's a thread for all matters pertaining to the 2018/19 season - whether you follow one of the giants like Barca, Real, Juve, Man City or Corinthians; or a non-league side.

All are welcome - and let's hear from followers of smaller clubs, like Harrogate Railway, Sutton United or Tottenham Hotspur.

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Christopher_M
thebigfredc posted:

If you took offence at my comments......

I didn’t. 

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Mike Hughes

Don’t think I’ve enjoyed a Wrexham AFC performance as much as that one in maybe 40 years. Blasted to pieces the vanity project that is Salford City with a magnificent performance from start to end with 5 superb goals. They finished with 10 men. Should have finished with 9 and had no idea why they were beaten. Sod’s law says we’ll now lose to Tim Flowers team on Saturday and then lose to Salford on Saturday. There were 12 games in league one today and our crowd beat 8 of them!

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Christopher_M

And now it’s Liverpool opening a gap at the top of the Prem. I’m delighted that there is going to be a contest. 

Meanwhile Saints are at home to Kev’s West Ham this evening......

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Paper Plane

And.the mighty Spurs up to 2nd after two excellent showings. 

steve

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Tabby cat

And the Champions down to third.I think if Liverpool beat City next thursday it could be all over.I know anything could happen but they have got the best defense and foward line.

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Hook

While technically a neutral, I have followed the Reds more closely than other PL teams for the last 15 years or so. They and the Spurs seem to be playing very well right now but, obviously, there’s still a half season to go. Heard a commentator say something interesting yesterday. In the last 16 seasons, the team at top of table on Christmas Day has gone on to win the league 14 times. The two exceptions were both Liverpool. 

The biggest difference I see between last year’s and this year’s squad is depth. Despite injuries to Gomez, Matip and Alexander-Arnold, their defense continues to play well.  Of course, if either VVD or Alisson went down, they could be in trouble. On offense, Salah looks to once again be playing at a high level, but the side is also better balanced, and getting goals from lots of different contributors. Lastly, they have great depth in midfield, and the additions of Fabhino, Keita and Shaqiri are all paying strong dividends. Top to bottom, they appear to have addressed just about all of last year’s weaknesses.

Despite their recent drop in form, I still see City as the team to beat this year, with Spurs a close second. Am anticipating a real nail biter of a race to the finish!

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by MDS
Tabby cat posted:

And the Champions down to third.I think if Liverpool beat City next thursday it could be all over.I know anything could happen but they have got the best defense and foward line.

A long way to go yet, Ian, and every team has as least one blip during a season. I'm certainly trying to persuade myself about that in relation to my lot . I certainly wouldn't bet against City winning the title again.  As a neutral it's nice to see some competition.   

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by PaulM160
Mike Hughes posted:

Don’t think I’ve enjoyed a Wrexham AFC performance as much as that one in maybe 40 years. Blasted to pieces the vanity project that is Salford City with a magnificent performance from start to end with 5 superb goals. They finished with 10 men. Should have finished with 9 and had no idea why they were beaten. Sod’s law says we’ll now lose to Tim Flowers team on Saturday and then lose to Salford on Saturday. There were 12 games in league one today and our crowd beat 8 of them!

excellent Mike, it is absolute magic when your team gets a result that is the football equivalent of a V sign

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

It's funny but more Liverpool supporters have yo yo'd in and out of the closet over the past years than I have ever known of any other team and I have to say for the most irrational reasons, I had a Liverpool 'supporter' laugh in my face after Arsenal's loss to Southampton raise his arms and sing You'll Never Walk Alone I would rather any team win the premier league than Liverpool even Spurs and that is coming from a life long Gooner. 

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Hook
Bob the Builder posted:

It's funny but more Liverpool supporters have yo yo'd in and out of the closet over the past years than I have ever known of any other team and I have to say for the most irrational reasons, I had a Liverpool 'supporter' laugh in my face after Arsenal's loss to Southampton raise his arms and sing You'll Never Walk Alone I would rather any team win the premier league than Liverpool even Spurs and that is coming from a life long Gooner. 

IME, all PL teams (ok, correction, all sports teams) have lots of loyal fans, lots of fair weather fans, and quite a few obnoxious fans.  No exceptions.

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by beginner

Couldn't  agree with you more Bob... i could even stomach Millwall winning it (not that that's likely) and thats coming from a Hammer

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by sjbabbey
Bob the Builder posted:

It's funny but more Liverpool supporters have yo yo'd in and out of the closet over the past years than I have ever known of any other team

I'm not sure what a person's sexual inclination has to do with the football team they support 

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Paper Plane

Eh?

steve

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Jonn

Liverpool could do with another trophy to knock Man U off their perch:

MOST MAJOR TROPHIES IN ENGLISH FOOTBALL (as of February 2018)
 NO#CLUBTITLES DETAILS
1Manchester United 4220 League Titles,  12 FA Cups, 5 League Cups, 3 Champions League, 1 Europa League, 1 FIFA Club WC
2Liverpool 4118 League Titles, 7 FA Cups, 8 League Cups, 5 European Title, 3 UEFA Cups
3Arsenal 3013 League Titles, 13 FA Cups, 2 League Cups, 2 UEFA Cups
4Chelsea226 League Titles, 7 FA Cups, 5 League Cups, 1 European Title., 3 UEFA Cups
5Aston Villa207 League Titles, 7 FA Cups, 5 League Cups, 1 European Title
6Everton159 League Titles, 5 FA Cups, 1 UEFA Cups
7Tottenham172 League Titles, 8 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, 3 UEFA Cups
8Man City 144 League titles, 5 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, 1 UEFA Cup
9Newcastle Utd 114 League, 6 FA Cups, 1 UEFA Cup
10Sunderland86 League Titles, 2 FA Cups
11Blackburn 103 League Titles, 6 FA Cups, 1 league Cup
12Wolverhampton93 League Titles, 4 FA Cups, 2 League Cups
13Nottingham Forest91 League Title, 2 FA Cup, 4 League Cups, 2 European Title
14Sheffield Wed 84 League Titles, 1 FA Cup, 3 League Cup
15Leeds United73 League Title, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup, 2 UEFA Cup
16West Brom71 League, 5 FA Cups, 1 League Cup
17Huddersfield43 League titles, 1 FA Cup
18Sheffield United 51 League title, 4 FA Cup
19Portsmouth42 League titles, 2 FA Cup
20Preston42 League titles, 2 FA Cup
21Burnley 32 League titles, 1 FA Cup
22Derby32 League titles, 1 FA Cup
Posted on: 27 December 2018 by MDS
Jonn posted:

Liverpool could do with another trophy to knock Man U off their perch:

MOST MAJOR TROPHIES IN ENGLISH FOOTBALL (as of February 2018)
 NO#CLUBTITLES DETAILS
1Manchester United 4220 League Titles,  12 FA Cups, 5 League Cups, 3 Champions League, 1 Europa League, 1 FIFA Club WC
2Liverpool 4118 League Titles, 7 FA Cups, 8 League Cups, 5 European Title, 3 UEFA Cups
3Arsenal 3013 League Titles, 13 FA Cups, 2 League Cups, 2 UEFA Cups
4Chelsea226 League Titles, 7 FA Cups, 5 League Cups, 1 European Title., 3 UEFA Cups
5Aston Villa207 League Titles, 7 FA Cups, 5 League Cups, 1 European Title
6Everton159 League Titles, 5 FA Cups, 1 UEFA Cups
7Tottenham172 League Titles, 8 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, 3 UEFA Cups
8Man City 144 League titles, 5 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, 1 UEFA Cup
9Newcastle Utd 114 League, 6 FA Cups, 1 UEFA Cup
10Sunderland86 League Titles, 2 FA Cups
11Blackburn 103 League Titles, 6 FA Cups, 1 league Cup
12Wolverhampton93 League Titles, 4 FA Cups, 2 League Cups
13Nottingham Forest91 League Title, 2 FA Cup, 4 League Cups, 2 European Title
14Sheffield Wed 84 League Titles, 1 FA Cup, 3 League Cup
15Leeds United73 League Title, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup, 2 UEFA Cup
16West Brom71 League, 5 FA Cups, 1 League Cup
17Huddersfield43 League titles, 1 FA Cup
18Sheffield United 51 League title, 4 FA Cup
19Portsmouth42 League titles, 2 FA Cup
20Preston42 League titles, 2 FA Cup
21Burnley 32 League titles, 1 FA Cup
22Derby32 League titles, 1 FA Cup

Nice to see my lot creeping into the top 20.  

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Christopher_M

Saints sluggish tonight I thought, in our 2-1 loss to West Ham. In fact, I wondered if we were overtrained and just need an extra rest day. Maybe the players are having trouble adapting to the high pressing game. We had out moments but imo missed Pierre-Emile Højbjerg who was suspended (I think).

I always find it hard to look at the opposition but full credit to WHU they took their chances and punished Saints accordingly. Anderson will be all over tomorrow's back pages. Rightly.

City at St Mary's on Sunday.  Something tells me Guardiola will be looking for a reaction ahead of their Liverpool game...

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Christopher_M

*We had our moments*

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Christopher_M

Ian, if you are going to St Mary's this afternoon I'm hoping you will introduce yourself! I wear a pinky red bib with 006 on the back (the other lensmen wear green) and a black beanie. Assuming Saints kick towards the City fans in the first half, I will probably be sitting away to your left, level with the D.

Let's enjoy our game!

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Mike Hughes
PaulM160 posted:
Mike Hughes posted:

excellent Mike, it is absolute magic when your team gets a result that is the football equivalent of a V sign

And now we’ve seen off the huge brutes from Birmingham even a loss away to Salford will be acceptable.

Saints outplayed in a 1-3 defeat to City. We might have had a penalty but I don't like that whingeing after the event stuff. The glimmer of hope though is that the Hughes era is over and that Hasenhüttl has us playing a high pressing game. We looked utterly shagged on 90 mins though.

Onwards....

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Tabby cat

Well pleased with the City result against The Saints. David Silva and Fernandiniho back where much needed.Thursdays game at home to Liverpool is going to be massive.Can't wait.

https://e3.365dm.com/18/12/768x432/promo370455339_4533637.jpg

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by MDS
Christopher_M posted:

Saints outplayed in a 1-3 defeat to City. We might have had a penalty but I don't like that whingeing after the event stuff. The glimmer of hope though is that the Hughes era is over and that Hasenhüttl has us playing a high pressing game. We looked utterly shagged on 90 mins though.

Onwards....

...and a very rash and unnecessary red card for Hojbjerg.  You could do without losing him for the next 3 games, Chris. 

Totally Mike.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Kevin-W

That was utter rubbish! We looked clueless and knackered. Brighton next, and they are no mugs.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Mike Hughes

Away win at Salford clearly too much to ask but not doing worse than Orient would mean we’d had a magnificent holiday period.