System Pics 2019

Posted by: hungryhalibut on 20 December 2018

Welcome to System Pics 2019.

To start things off, here is a picture of my setup. The only thing that has changed since last year is the addition of a maple Fraim to match the speakers. 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by M@rtin

How can one add pics to logs?

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Dave***t

Previous SBLs now replaced by Harbeth 30.1s (SBLs are being stored for the time being), and I think the XPS is new compared with this time last year. I’m more happy with the sound more of the time now, so it it’s been a good move or two.

I had a turntable in service a year ago, this has also gone on sabbatical, but will hopefully return later in 2019. With any luck, the completion of my PhD towards the end of the year will mean I can re-jig the living room with a smaller desk and a proper rack for the stereo, and so have space to spin the black circle once more.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by hungryhalibut
M@rtin posted:

Have a look in the FAQ.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by james n
Dave***t posted:

Very nice setup. Harbeth speakers always have that classic understated elegance. The stands look rather good too - what are they as i've seen them used under the P3 size models and look much nicer than some of the other 'heavy duty' options available ?

James

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by AndyP19
hungryhalibut posted:
M@rtin posted:

Have a look in the FAQ.

Sorry to labour this, but I think I am one of many who struggle to post a pic (even following advice on FAQ) - I've just worked out how to do it from a website image, say an album cover, but sometimes that requires using different web addresses to get the image.

So, I snap my 2019 system pic, go in Flickr find the pic, set privacy to public (or keep it at private doesn't seem to change things), go to bendy arrow at the bottom of the screen, copy URL, then paste this into the mountain icon under source in the post and nothing other a tiny little blue square appearing in the top left-hand corner which will not expand. Tried other ways but always the same outcome.

There must be other posters using Flickr and the Flickr URL who are going to say ah you just need to click this or that and.........

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by HiFiman

Great pictures and setups, love the look of those Harberth M30 and of course GraemeH Proac setup.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Dave***t
james n posted:

Very nice setup. Harbeth speakers always have that classic understated elegance. The stands look rather good too - what are they as i've seen them used under the P3 size models and look much nicer than some of the other 'heavy duty' options available ?

James

Thanks, James.  They're Something Solid XF stands - heavy duty welded affairs that are pretty much universally well regarded among the Harbeth fraternity.  I haven't tried any alternatives with the 30.1s, but they're comparatively elegant IMO and seem to do the trick admirably.

Personally I wonder if they look a bit spindly under P3ESRs, but I think they suit the chunkier models well.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by AndyP19

AndyP19 posted:
hungryhalibut posted:
M@rtin posted:

Have a look in the FAQ.

Sorry to labour this, but I think I am one of many who struggle to post a pic (even following advice on FAQ) - I've just worked out how to do it from a website image, say an album cover, but sometimes that requires using different web addresses to get the image.

So, I snap my 2019 system pic, go in Flickr find the pic, set privacy to public (or keep it at private doesn't seem to change things), go to bendy arrow at the bottom of the screen, copy URL, then paste this into the mountain icon under source in the post and nothing other a tiny little blue square appearing in the top left-hand corner which will not expand. Tried other ways but always the same outcome.

There must be other posters using Flickr and the Flickr URL who are going to say ah you just need to click this or that and.........

Da da done it! I see a lot of people are using Imgur, but with Flickr I had to launch the URL taking me to Flickr site which showed my pic, clicked on the bendy arrow and copied the BBCode and carved out from the long adddress the bit that includes https://farm5.staticflickr.com and ends with jpg. Phew that only took a year to crack!

During 2018 many system changes plus a room move too 

Cherry Fraim arrived, NAP250 (CB250 in Olive case) out and replaced by 250DR also XP5XS replaced by the mighty 555DR.

New room move and cherry Fraim required a different colour speaker so replaced the white Proac Tab 10 with cherry Proac Tab 10 signatures.

Almost forgot, new Custom Design SQ404 speaker stands and Witch Hat Phantom speaker cable.

That's me done for now unless Naim release a replacement 272 !!

Apologies for the crap pictures I'm no photographer.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by james n

Silent Nait, holy Nait...

Merry Christmas

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Mike-B
AndyP19 posted:

Most forum peeps moved away from Flickr when they deleted pics & started charging a fee.   Most moved to Imgur which is free of charge.

When I had Flickr, if I remember correctly,  the copy command was not copy URL,  it was copy image address.

If this helps anyone I use the free imgbb service to host pictures.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by ROOG

Naim

First time for me!

Turntable is a Heybrook TT2 + Linn Basik

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Filipe
AndyP19 posted:
hungryhalibut posted:
M@rtin posted:

Have a look in the FAQ.

You need to make sure when you copy the link that there are no other frames. When you paste make sure the extensions is either jpg, png ...

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Peder

???? Why can't Naim solve this with their forum-provider.?

It should be as easy as adding photos to Facebook,..or send pictures via sms or email.
I write and do everything on the Internet with my phone.
And I can only add the image-link via my phone,..not the image itself.

It is soon 2019,..this should not be a problem to solve for Naim's forum supplier.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

The reason you can’t upload pictures is because Naim have to pay for the bandwidth, so it’s much cheaper just to have links. Facebook is awash with advertising income, and there is no advertising on the Forum. Now, let’s have a picture please; you can always start a new thread on the whys and wherefores of picture hosting if you wish. 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Mike-B
Peder posted:

Why can't Naim solve this with their forum-provider.?

Richard explained why a few years ago,  I can't find the post,  but it was something like to reduce server bandwidth as it does not attach the actual picture,       

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by TallGuy
james n posted:

Silent Nait, holy Nait...

Merry Christmas

It wouldn’t be silent in my house

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by TallGuy
GraemeH posted:

Untitled

Merry Christmas all!

G

Don’t recognise it, but you have a serious overheating problem with your amp. Obviously keeps your feet warm though. 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Chris G

Hi Roog, nice looking system. I see you're using ATC speakers.  I had a recent dealer dem of these and found them very revealing but they sounded somewhat bright.  Obviously you must be happy with them, would you describe their sound as "bright"?  I guess the next step will be to audition at home but I'd appreciate feedback on your experience with them please?

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by ameden

Hi Chris G

I recently auditioned many speakers and settled for the ATC SCM40 passives...for the money they are amazing value. I am very sensitive to 'bright' speakers....these to me are NOT bright....the mid and treble are sweet....and the bass nice and tight....I listened to the 40's and 50's, (and very briefly the 19's).....

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Peder

???? Hungryhalibut,..Mike-B,...Then I am with,it is about costs without income..and also what you said Mike-B.

Thanks for the explanation????????.

/Peder???? 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Novichok-1977

Naim NAC32.5/250/HC-CB/ND5XS/LinnLP12/Harbeth P3ESR-SE/Skylan

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by GraemeH
TallGuy posted:
GraemeH posted:

Untitled

Merry Christmas all!

G

Don’t recognise it, but you have a serious overheating problem with your amp. Obviously keeps your feet warm though. 

It helps make sure my ears are fully burnt-in before serious listening.

G

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by ROOG
Chris G posted:

Hi Roog, nice looking system. I see you're using ATC speakers.  I had a recent dealer dem of these and found them very revealing but they sounded somewhat bright.  Obviously you must be happy with them, would you describe their sound as "bright"?  I guess the next step will be to audition at home but I'd appreciate feedback on your experience with them please?

Hi Chris, I am with AMEDEN on this, I did try a home trial and several dealer auditions of the ATCs all in different rooms and I found the treble slightly rolled off compared to others including PMC twenty five 24,  Klipsch Forte's & B&W 702-2 if any thing I find them a little bass heavy in my room. From running REW, I have a strong feeling that it is my room which combined with the extra bass energy that excites the room at high volumes. I found their alluring characteristics to be the Lovely detail in the mids.

i have seen many references to the active version being worth a try,i just struggled to commit to my amp being built into my speakers.