System Pics 2018

Posted by: hungryhalibut on 17 December 2017

Welcome to System Pics 2018.

To start things off, here are a couple of pictures of my setup. There have been some big changes over the past year; a 300 and a 555PS, and some extra shelves to accommodate them. 

Posted on: 18 December 2017 by Hook
Richard Dane posted:

Thanks James.  It is rather nice.  The ceramic platter is 'out of this world' gorgeous. And, when I collected from Rega last week, it was nice to be able to meet everyone involved in building it too.   Most remarkable is how quickly it could be set up and playing, with no worries about spending weeks fine-tuning. I reckon it's already pretty much spot on - I'll run the HFNRR test disc sat some point just to be sure - with just the Apheta 2 to fully run in before it's giving 100%.  Oh yes, there are the solid metal feet that I have as an optional extra that I haven't tried yet.  But I'm enjoying to all too much for the moment to bother.  

MDS, the pics were taken with just my iPhone SE.

Congrats on the new deck Richard!  Looks like it was made to sit on a Fraim!

Will it replace your Garrard 401, or will you use both?  Would also be interested in how you compare them.  Thanks!

Posted on: 18 December 2017 by winkyincanada
Richard Dane posted:

Something new.  

It's really rather good. I'm really enjoying rediscovering my record collection.

I could be some time...

I like the stylus guard. It has me wondering why they're not more common. Great looking set-up, too.

Posted on: 18 December 2017 by KenRose
Robiwan posted:
Caption

are those Credo's?

Posted on: 18 December 2017 by joerand
winkyincanada posted:

I like the stylus guard. It has me wondering why they're not more common.

Maybe because, what's it really "guarding" the stylus from?

Posted on: 18 December 2017 by Mario

Wow Richard, didn't realise the rega looked so nice!

That's a pretty interesting purchase when you consider the fact that you also use a fully named LP12! Can you make some statement on how it compares?

Regards,

Mario

Posted on: 18 December 2017 by Adam Zielinski
joerand posted:
winkyincanada posted:

I like the stylus guard. It has me wondering why they're not more common.

Maybe because, what's it really "guarding" the stylus from?

It’s also used for sliding a stylus cover on. Although the process is so fiddly, I leave mine off most of the times...

050FD1C5-B42C-4E50-B089-025A0F6070B61EB8799D-7492-419D-A4B0-293F45AC5B90

Posted on: 18 December 2017 by HiFiman
KenRose posted:
Robiwan posted:

are those Credo's?

Naim Allaes Ken

Posted on: 18 December 2017 by HiFiman

I have removed two of my thread replies that contained duplicate pictures.

Didn't realise you could remove a post.

Posted on: 18 December 2017 by Johnell

[@mention:8184226735374105]

You didn't have to remove your posts my friend, you could have simple deleted most of the pictures leaving perhaps one of the main system to remind people what of what you are referring to.    

Posted on: 19 December 2017 by Richard Dane

Thanks Hook.  The Garrard/Aro is still here, and not going anywhere for now. They're rather different, although comparisons at this stage are not really fair as they both seem to have different strengths and to get a proper handle on them would probably require using the same cartridge.  What I can say at this stage is that the Rega is less coloured and more rhythmic if with a little less low down drive. It's not as "meaty" if that makes any sense, but it's very agile and the bass is very extended and tuneful. There's a fair bit more detail in the upper ranges that is coming through from the Rega combo with better focus. The Garrard/Aro can be very impressive with dynamic well cut discs, but you sometimes have to work a bit harder with lesser discs as the deck's colourations and lower resolution up top make themselves more obvious. The Rega's neutrality is a boon with these cuts as it lets you get straight to the heart of the music without distraction. Hopefully that makes sense. Anyway, it will be interesting to hear how it develops as the cartridge breaks in.

Mario, I haven't run the Armageddoned LP12 for a while and it's now in bits packed away.  I do have another Sondek with Ittok, but haven't made any meaningful comparisons.  I have had a number of Rega Planars over the years (indeed, I still have an early and a late Planar 3) and was impressed enough by what I read in A Vibration Measuring Machine that I wanted to investigate what Rega could do when really let loose.  I'm glad I did. So far the RP10 is a cracking bit of kit.

Posted on: 19 December 2017 by HiFiman
Johnell posted:

[@mention:8184226735374105]

You didn't have to remove your posts my friend, you could have simple deleted most of the pictures leaving perhaps one of the main system to remind people what of what you are referring to.    

Unable to edit posts to remove pictures option missing I guess there is a given time frame after posting so it was easier to hit the delete button 

Posted on: 19 December 2017 by rsch
Richard Dane posted:

Something new.  

It's really rather good. I'm really enjoying rediscovering my record collection.

I could be some time...

Hi Richard,

Congratulations for your new deck. Do you know if  it's possible to specify the plinth in different colours than black ?

I' d like one in green like my P3. I was told by  my dealer that it was  done by Rega like a sort of  "Naim homage"

Regards

Roberto

Roberto, AFAIK the RP8 and RP10 can only be supplied in "piano" black.  Even the new Planar 6 only comes in a kind of stealth grey, mainly because that's the colour of the phenolic resin outer skin of the foam sandwich material used.

I do like the green of your P3.  We had a P3-24 like that at the factory for a while, which we used at some shows with the NAIT 5i, Stageline and i-Supply.  I remember at the time thinking how much fun it was to be back spinning vinyl at shows...

Posted on: 19 December 2017 by Filipe
Richard Dane posted:

Something new.  

I could be some time...

Quite agree! Which cartridge?

Phil

The cartridge is the Apheta 2 into a Superline E with 100ohm load and 1nf cap.

Posted on: 19 December 2017 by Vincé 2

Is the Superline E the right one for the Apheta 2?

I have the standard Superline (and a RP10) and I would like to try the Apheta 2.

Vincenzo

Vincé 2 posted:

I have the standard Superline (and a RP10) and I would like to try the Apheta 2.

Vincenzo

I’m not sure what the Superline variants are. You need MC with 100 ohms and 1nf (1000pf) as Richard posted. All Rega MC cartridges use the same settings. I beefed up my Rega Aria phonostage with Superlumina RCA to DIN and a better powercord that made the silent parts of recording really dark and improved the detail while keeping the music detailed but warm sounding (rather than detailed but emotionless). I would like to hear my system with the Superline one day out of curiosity. 

Phil

Vincé 2 posted:

Vincenzo

Vincenzo, the standard Superline is fine with the Apheta 2 at 3.5mV.  I use the E version as I have a number of decks and carts and the standard Superline's headroom can get a bit marginal with cartridges over 0.5mV.  The E lowers the gain very slightly to enable comfortable use of 0-5-0.6mV cartridges. It's what I already had and works fine with cartridges as low as 0.2mV so no problem with the Apheta 2.

Posted on: 19 December 2017 by hungryhalibut

More pictures, less chat! Come on Vincé2 and Filipe. Let’s see what you’ve got. 

Hungryhalibut posted:

More pictures, less chat! Come on Vincé2 and Filipe. Let’s see what you’ve got. 

Nigel, I have posted this one before. It’s my Thoren TD124 Mk II shortly after I got it back from Loricraft who fitted it in a modified (smaller) version of their Garrard plinth. It was also serviced and provided with scarce Thorens parts that Terry happened to have in stock. The iron platter now rotates with next to no slack. I fitted my RP8 arm to avoid extra spend until I knew how well the refurb went. It’s nearly as good as my RP10/Aphelion.

I think Richards RP10 photo is far better than I could do. 

I’ve broken the rule on word count again. Sorry Nigel!

Phil 

Posted on: 19 December 2017 by Jeff Anderson

System hasn't changed in nearly five years.  It plays music and is the system I will ride into the sunset with.  Wadia 170i transport/iPod Classic 160gb or MacBook Pro (iTunes library and Spotify) / Decibel player via Audioquest Jitterbug > Wadia PowerDAC151 Mini > Ergo-IX speakers (DIY design built for me by a forum member in New Zealand and purchased unheard in 2009).  Subtly augmented with a REL T-zero bass unit.

Posted on: 19 December 2017 by Robiwan
Richard Dane posted:

Something new.  

I could be some time...

very nice, but such a heavy rack as support for the lightweight Rega seems not optimal to me?

Posted on: 19 December 2017 by hungryhalibut

Posted on: 19 December 2017 by DrMark

I wish any one of my desks were that well organized and neat... 

Posted on: 19 December 2017 by james n
Jeff Anderson posted:

System hasn't changed in nearly five years.  It plays music and is the system I will ride into the sunset with.  Wadia 170i transport/iPod Classic 160gb or MacBook Pro (iTunes library and Spotify) / Decibel player via Audioquest Jitterbug > Wadia PowerDAC151 Mini > Ergo-IX speakers (DIY design built for me by a forum member in New Zealand and purchased unheard in 2009).  Subtly augmented with a REL T-zero bass unit.

Very neat Jeff - Love the speakers.