System Pics 2018

Posted by: hungryhalibut on 17 December 2017

Welcome to System Pics 2018.

To start things off, here are a couple of pictures of my setup. There have been some big changes over the past year; a 300 and a 555PS, and some extra shelves to accommodate them. 

Posted on: 22 December 2017 by Bart

Not much of the system is visible -- but a Merry Christmas to all from Casper (and me) nevertheless!

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by alan33
Jumping Jack posted:

Okay, bring on the pitchforks and torches ‘cause from now on, I’m naim-less...

I sold the sn2, ndx, hicap dr and superline and got an AVM cs5.2 and an Octave eq2 phono instead... Sounds superb!

Would be very cool if you also posted some thoughts and impressions on moving to the AVM super integrated in the other hifi corner thread (something like integrated to replace 300), [@mention:18461704813600627]. I mentioned meeting the owner of this company here in Berlin, but I think I mangled the acronym! I think they look great but didn’t get a chance to demo... Did you make the move before Nova appeared? If not, your thoughts on one vs the other and what swayed you in the end would also be cool to hear. Thanks 

Regards alan

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by rsch

A SuperLumina_ous Christmas this year

Much more flexible and easier to dress

The rest is business as usual

Merry Christmas !

Roberto

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by Mr.Tibbs

Some 60s valves, some 70s chrome, some 80s solid state and some 90s digital. It works  

Mr Tibbs

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by james n
Mr.Tibbs posted:

Some 60s valves, some 70s chrome, some 80s solid state and some 90s digital. It works  

Mr Tibbs

Good to see you posting Mr Tibbs, the system is looking superb as usual.

Gales aside, the FM3 is a cool looking piece of kit 

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by Chris Bell

While my system looks visually identical to last year's system pics, this year's upgrades were substantial.  It started in January with DR overhaul of my 15 year old NAP500. The DR upgrade is essentially an entire new (current spec) amp.... It took months for the amp to break-in, but the results were worth the wait.  Next up was a Recap/DR service for my 13 year old 552.  Like the 500 it took time for it to "come on song" but when it did the improvements were not subtle.  Finally cables were replaced with Chord Music and Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. While these cables are $$$, they are well worth the price.... the Chords revealing how good Naim electronics sound.  With all these changes I get very different listening experience.  The sound is big and effortless while also being delicate and spatial. Not terms commonly associated with Naim Audio, but all the fundamentals are there.  Upgrades for 2018 are already on the drawing-board (hint hint).  Watch this forum for more on that.  

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by james n
Chris Bell posted: 

Wow 

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by vintageaxeman
Chris Bell posted:

Not familiar with the speakers, Chris...What are they please? Stunnng view you have!

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by GraemeH
Chris Bell posted:

While my system looks visually identical to last year's system pics, this year's upgrades were substantial.  It started in January with DR overhaul of my 15 year old NAP500. The DR upgrade is essentially an entire new (current spec) amp.... It took months for the amp to break-in, but the results were worth the wait.  Next up was a Recap/DR service for my 13 year old 552.  Like the 500 it took time for it to "come on song" but when it did the improvements were not subtle.  Finally cables were replaced with Chord Music and Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. While these cables are $$$, they are well worth the price.... the Chords revealing how good Naim electronics sound.  With all these changes I get very different listening experience.  The sound is big and effortless while also being delicate and spatial. Not terms commonly associated with Naim Audio, but all the fundamentals are there.  Upgrades for 2018 are already on the drawing-board (hint hint).  Watch this forum for more on that.  

Replacing the Kudos with the Tablette 10 !

Or maybe some new Art?

G

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by rsch
vintageaxeman posted:
Chris Bell posted:

Not familiar with the speakers, Chris...What are they please? Stunnng view you have!

Kudos Titan 808

R.

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by Foot tapper

A Muso?

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by Ravenswood10
Jumping Jack posted:

Okay, bring on the pitchforks and torches ‘cause from now on, I’m naim-less...

I sold the sn2, ndx, hicap dr and superline and got an AVM cs5.2 and an Octave eq2 phono instead... Sounds superb!

Oh well at least you've made a few others happy with pre-loved equipment. I bet the other fora aren't half as entertaining!

I've also been a rebel and splashed out on and Arcam movie system for the snug. Ain't half bad either! Was 1700 quid now 700...even better.

i

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by J.N.

Looking fab Chris. The 808's are simply too expensive for me, but 88's to 707's worked like a dream here. The latter are a better aesthetic and sonic 'fit' in my smallish room, with very obvious sonic gains from the top to bottom of the frequency spectrum.

It's the same new tweeter in the 707's and 808's as I'm sure you know. Treble quality and integration with the mid-band is much improved on both new models.

Good listening.

John.

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by varyat

Those are T88's.....perhaps the 808's are on the drawing board?

ATB,

Mark

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by MDS
Chris Bell posted:

I never cease to be 'wowed' when ever you post a picture of your listening room, Chris. Absolutely stunning.  Oh and your system is pretty impressive too.

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by johnG

Chris - great room and I guess this has been asked before but how do you get on with all that glass ? I have glass down one side of my listening room and find it problematic enough with brightness such that I have the speakers positioned somewhat to the opposite half.

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by achique99
Chris Bell posted:

Very nice indeed Chris. I can only imagine having those cherry Fraim in my active setup. And I think that would be the final upgrade when funds allows.

Cheers, Nasa

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by Chris Bell
johnG posted:

Chris - great room and I guess this has been asked before but how do you get on with all that glass ? I have glass down one side of my listening room and find it problematic enough with brightness such that I have the speakers positioned somewhat to the opposite half.

Great question. Conventional wisdom would say this room would not work but my experience is great sound mostly comes down to system setup.  Dedicated circuits, dedicated grounding, propper outlets, cables, layout and even solder joints make a huge difference.  I'm also a big believer in room treatments but you don't need a lifeless "rubber" room.  I use 4 Vicoustic Wavewood panels and 2 bass traps for the corner.  The Wavewood's absorb and diffuse/reflect frequencies to organize and focus the sound. I've had lots of folks over to hear my system... even a friend who has a mega-buck DartZeel system. I've yet to hear a negative comment.

That's my story... your mileage may vary.

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by Bob the Builder
Chris Bell posted:

No worries about box count then Chris

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by Robiwan
Chris Bell posted:

I only wanna have you're house only for the stunning view! Washington State?

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by joerand
Chris Bell posted:

Great question. Conventional wisdom would say this room would not work but my experience is great sound mostly comes down to system setup.  Dedicated circuits, dedicated grounding, propper outlets, cables, layout and even solder joints make a huge difference.  I'm also a big believer in room treatments but you don't need a lifeless "rubber" room.  I use 4 Vicoustic Wavewood panels and 2 bass traps for the corner.  The Wavewood's absorb and diffuse/reflect frequencies to organize and focus the sound. I've had lots of folks over to hear my system... even a friend who has a mega-buck DartZeel system. I've yet to hear a negative comment.

Chris, congrats on your continuing upgrade journey and making improvements to an already stunning sounding system. Best wishes in 2018.

Posted on: 24 December 2017 by Bob the Builder
joerand posted:
Chris Bell posted:

I've had lots of folks over to hear my system... even a friend who has a mega-buck DartZeel system. I've yet to hear a negative comment.

I had to look up the DartZeel gear and wow even Chinese copies of this amp fetch £1,500!

Posted on: 24 December 2017 by Chris Dolan

I added some Fraim in the last year - I rather like it 

Posted on: 24 December 2017 by themrock

Hi everyone, i can only seriously advice you to delete the geo tags in your pictures!

I can see exactly without any effort  where you life.

So for a criminal its easy to locate your house and its an easy target for them.

Alone the Naim stuff is worth a lot of money and who is able to spent so much on hifi stuff i think there will be other expensive stuff.

And the icing on the cake is, if you post on facebook with same name some vaccation pictures, perfect then i know if novody is at home.

So delete the geo tags before posting a picture.

Posted on: 24 December 2017 by HiFiman
Mr.Tibbs posted:

Mr Tibbs

Looks great Mr Tibb, I like the added touch of the lights on the 102 volume and balance knobs.