What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XV)

Posted by: Richard Dane on 31 December 2018

On the eve of a new year, it's time for a new thread. 

Last year's thread can be found here:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...e-interested-vol-xiv

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Clive B

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack

Its so good to know there’s still a little magic in the air. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by AndyP19
DrMark posted:

One of the great live albums ever...at least IMHO.

One hell of a band.

What a show this band put on. Saw them on the Old Grey Whistle Test around 1976 doing White Punks on Dope and prior to that Don’t Touch Me There was played a lot on mid 70’s Radio Caroline.

This live album has it all the theatrics, top musicians, the songs and the comedy.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Filipe

Joni Mitchell - Heijera - CD

A different photo for a change. After an unsettling period having changed the racking the system is coming on song again. Really enjoying listening to all those sounds swirling around and her beautiful voice. 

I find the photo of her very beautiful and intimate. I like the way the photo has texture as if taken on film. Anyone know if digital software can do this.

Phil

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by james n
nigelb posted:
ALANP posted:
nigelb posted:
james n posted:

Started this afternoon's listening with this album. A mellow, bluesy mix of songs and a fine production too. I suspect Ray LaMongtagne will follow this...

Amos Lee - Last Days At The Lodge

James, listening to this on Tidal, and very enjoyable it is too from an artist I am unfamiliar with.

Just plucked a ‘like new’ example from the river for a ‘not like new’ price. Very happy!

Thanks for pointing this one out.

Nigel, I don't want to cost you any more money this week, but his eponymous debut and Supply and Demand are also worth checking out .They precede the featured album after which his music took a turn into something a bit more country.

Alan

Well I have just picked both of these albums up but I am only a fiver poorer. Spent over twice that on a Pizza this evening!

Thanks for the recommendation Alan.

Thanks for the heads up - I bought them too

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Shep
Filipe posted:

A different photo for a change. After an unsettling period having changed the racking the system is coming on song again. Really enjoying listening to all those sounds swirling around and her beautiful voice. 

I find the photo of her very beautiful and intimate. I like the way the photo has texture as if taken on film. Anyone know if digital software can do this.

Phil

The photograph has a "grainy" appearance which was achieved on film by using a fast film, ie a film with a high ISO rating.  In a similar way, you can use a high ISO setting on a digital camera although this can cause "hot pixels" which may require removal in post production editing.  Probably the best way to achieve the grainy look is to use a plug-in during post production.  Sorry if this is anorak city to non photography people out there.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Richard Morris
Paper Plane posted:

Original if s/h vinyl

Why? My sense of humour ambushed me.

steve

Don't know this one but I used to play Beware of the Beautiful Stranger a lot when younger.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Richard Morris

Tangle Eye - Alan Lomax's Southern Journey Remixed. I'd forgotten how good this is. Original field recordings made by Lomax meet contemporary musicians and rhythms.

Joni Mitchell - Blue - CD

What better after Heijera than Blue. A recent 75th birthday!

Phil

Shep posted:
Filipe posted:

Phil

The photograph has a "grainy" appearance which was achieved on film by using a fast film, ie a film with a high ISO rating.  In a similar way, you can use a high ISO setting on a digital camera although this can cause "hot pixels" which may require removal in post production editing.  Probably the best way to achieve the grainy look is to use a plug-in during post production.  Sorry if this is anorak city to non photography people out there.

Thanks Shep. Don’t apologise.

Phil

Filipe posted:

Phil

Whatever, Phil, it's a red hot album. Joni's best IMHO.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Eoink
Clive B posted:
Filipe posted:

Phil

Whatever, Phil, it's a red hot album. Joni's best IMHO.

And mine, one of my all-time favourites from anyone.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by seakayaker

Now playing...........

Melody Gardot - Currency of Man

Melody Gardot - Currency of Man

Streaming on NAS..............  Kicking off the Monday with the sweet voice of Melody Gardot! When its a dark and cold morning Melody and bring some warmth and brighten up the day! ...........she is sounding mighty fine..........

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by ToddHarris

NYC - April 1962 - Single-layer SACD

Dvorak: Symphony No. 9, New World Symphony

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by seakayaker

Now playing.......

Natalie Merchant - Motherland

Natalie Merchant - Motherland

Streaming on NAS............  a time to be enchanted by the sweet music, lyrics and beautiful voice of Natalie!  Some recent well deserved love posted here for Natalie and thought I would make a contribution as we are about to embark on a brave new world........

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Jeroen20

Louis Hayes - Variaty is the spice

Excellent straight ahead hard bop from Louis Hayes. Recorded in 1979.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Jeff Anderson
nigelb posted:
james n posted:

Started this afternoon's listening with this album. A mellow, bluesy mix of songs and a fine production too. I suspect Ray LaMongtagne will follow this...

Amos Lee - Last Days At The Lodge

James, listening to this on Tidal, and very enjoyable it is too from an artist I am unfamiliar with.

Just plucked a ‘like new’ example from the river for a ‘not like new’ price. Very happy!

Thanks for pointing this one out.

Try and locate/hear "Mission Bell" at some point.  You have gotten lots of great responses  Enjoy. regards, Jeff A

Diana Krall - All for You - CD

One of the forum favourites sounding very intimate at this moment just for me.

We must persuade Ewe(mo)n to join the new forum and keep posting those albums that many got to like because of his posts. 

Phil 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Stevee_S

(1991)

Yello -Baby

A nice way to cheer up and get a Monday evening going, these boys seldom fail to put a smile on the old grid. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by ewemon

This will be my last posting on the forum as I am going to take a break.

I may register for the new one and look in once in awhile.

Been thinking about it for awhile and the moving over to the new forum has just given me the opportunity to call it quits for now.

There are other reasons, which I have posted in another thread which I won't go into here.

I would like to thank JeffA for his kind words and friendship (love to H), Tony, Dave, Bert and if I have forgotten anyone then please accept my apologies

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Kevin-W

Original UK vinyl. The band's Peel sessions (especially the June 1982 one, which contained tracks unavailable elsewhere) are among the very best things they ever did.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Jeroen20

Joe Farrell & Louis Hayes quartet - Vim 'n'  Vigor

Good hard bop jazz (despite the weird cover).

ewemon posted:

Been thinking about it for awhile and the moving over to the new forum has just given me the opportunity to call it quits for now.

There are other reasons, which I have posted in another thread which I won't go into here.

I would like to thank JeffA for his kind words and friendship (love to H), Tony, Dave, Bert and if I have forgotten anyone then please accept my apologies

Well the What Are You Listening To thread will be a lot less interesting and informative without your inputs, Ewemon. Hopefully you'll have a change of heart after a short rest. Thanks for your many posts over the years. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by dave marshall
ewemon posted:

Hi, Ewen,

Sorry to read that you've decided to quit the forum, as the music thread on the new one will be a poorer place for your absence.

Thanks for all the great choons you've introduced me to, and keep on rockin'.

Aw ra best,

Dave.

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus

I'm continuing with my studies of Sonny Rollins for this evening. I find his playing very listenable. Yet he'll still take the listener off in directions which aren't always predictable, and that's just as I like it. 

ewemon posted:

Me too. Come back soon.

Phil