252 or CD555 ?

Posted by: wenger2015 on 17 November 2018

Thinking about my next upgrade, either 282 to 252 or CDX2 to CD555.

Any thoughts from those that have already made either change.....Or had opportunity to hear the comparisons ???

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by wenger2015
nigelb posted:

Hope you get some downtime at Christmas and have a chance to listen to some music.

Seasons greetings to you and yours.

N

Yes, I do hope so,

Likewise seasons greetings to yourself and family..

wenger2015 posted:
nigelb posted:

Hope you get some downtime at Christmas and have a chance to listen to some music.

N

Yes, I do hope so,

Ps.....How’s that 552 sounding?

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by nigelb
wenger2015 posted:
wenger2015 posted:
nigelb posted:

N

Yes, I do hope so,

Just listening to the wonderful Joss Stone - her Soul Sessions album. Geez, the 552 has got soul and can boogie with the best of 'em! Just so natural, unforced but bursting with detail. It is refined and delicate, or will wack you around the head when called to do so.

I love it!

nigelb posted:
wenger2015 posted:
wenger2015 posted:
nigelb posted:

N

Yes, I do hope so,

Just listening to the wonderful Joss Stone - her Soul Sessions album. Geez, the 552 has got soul and can boogie with the best of 'em! Just so natural, unforced but bursting with detail. It is refined and delicate, or will wack you around the head when called to do so.

I love it!

That’s a great description, I am not surprised you love it...... enjoy 

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by wenger2015

First chance to have a proper listen to the 252......since plugging in about a week ago....

just played a couple of my favourite tracks....

Unfortunately...... 

it’s very very very good  ..... 

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Great news Wenger and as always it's going to be a bit painful. ATB Peter

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by wenger2015

I would describe the 252 as composed, controlled, transparent , natural and effortless.....

I have always been of the opinion a system reveals itself at either high or low volume.....

the 252 handles both with ease.....

Another veil has been lifted......

i have the 252 on dem throughout the Xmas period...... it’s going to be a real treat

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Adam Zielinski

Just listening to some cool ECM jazz via 252.... sublime...

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by nigelb

Wenger, the benefit of a 252 at this juncture, assuming you like it sufficiently above a 282, is that it will reveal more of your CDX2's or a CD555's abilities, should you decide to go that route, and, should you decide to go streaming, a 252 will do the same trick for one of Naim's better streamers. Added to this you already own a SuperCapDR and 300DR, the perfect partners for a 252.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by wenger2015
nigelb posted:

Wenger, the benefit of a 252 at this juncture, assuming you like it sufficiently above a 282, is that it will reveal more of your CDX2's or a CD555's abilities, should you decide to go that route, and, should you decide to go streaming, a 252 will do the same trick for one of Naim's better streamers. Added to this you already own a SuperCapDR and 300DR, the perfect partners for a 252.

The 252 is turning out to be mightily impressive....

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by boom

That’s not what I wanted hear. You really know how to hurt a persons banks ballance!

Looks like a fun Holiday season for you.

Merry Christmas 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by wenger2015
boom posted:

That’s not what I wanted hear. You really know how to hurt a persons banks ballance!

Looks like a fun Holiday season for you.

Merry Christmas 

Unfortunately the 252 is exceptionally good, i am rapidly coming to the conclusion it may be staying...

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Adam Zielinski

Good choice

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by wenger2015

The 252 has been up and running for about 10 days now..... 

Just had a listen to Pink Floyds ‘Dark side of the Moon’..

mightily impressive....

its obviously presenting music much closer again to how it should be presented....

It seems to thrive extremely well with a 300dr ...... 

Having only previously heard the 252 at a Naim dem at a Hi-fi show..... which was a little underwhelming,...........my understanding of the naim pre-amp upgrade path is now much more clear ...

If anyone is considering having a 252 home dem, you certainly will not be disappointed 

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Pcd

Wenger, glad you are liking the 252 as I posted I much preferred the presentation of the 252 over the 282 when I was looking to upgrade my Olive kit.

I used the 252 with a 250 dr for about 18 months before upgrading to a 300 dr this combination is superb, as good as the 250 dr is I believe you need the 300 dr to bring the best out of the 252.

Season greetings and happy listening.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Adam Zielinski

252 with NAP 300DR is a fine combination indeed - I enjoy it every day
Now cue in the suspense music from 'Jaws' a bit of a snare-drum roll too

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by wenger2015
Pcd posted:

Wenger, glad you are liking the 252 as I posted I much preferred the presentation of the 252 over the 282 when I was looking to upgrade my Olive kit.

I used the 252 with a 250 dr for about 18 months before upgrading to a 300 dr this combination is superb, as good as the 250 dr is I believe you need the 300 dr to bring the best out of the 252.

Season greetings and happy listening.

Yes, seasons greetings and happy listening 

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by wenger2015

It’s coming up to decision time on the 252??

l have been mightily impressed, this is a pre-amp that presents music effortlessly, their is a warmth and depth to the presentation that just draws you in.....

its extremely capable in every department......

if anyone is considering making the move to the 252 you will not be disappointed....

i just need to get the abacus out and do the numbers...

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by nshntr

Coming from Supercapped 282 I've had 252+Supercap2 here for a 5 days here now and it's just amazing with CDX2+XPS2 (and LP12 as well)! No matter what kind of stuff is being played 252 lets through so much more information.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Filipe

wenger2015 posted:

l have been mightily impressed, this is a pre-amp that presents music effortlessly, their is a warmth and depth to the presentation that just draws you in.....

if anyone is considering making the move to the 252 you will not be disappointed....

Push your dealer to the limit. There are some who sell ex-show stuff with very healthy discounts when it only has tens of hours of use. Most dealer will match.

Phil

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by wenger2015
Filipe posted:

wenger2015 posted:

Push your dealer to the limit. There are some who sell ex-show stuff with very healthy discounts when it only has tens of hours of use. Most dealer will match.

Phil

Absolutely..... fortunately I’ve always enjoyed the ‘negotiation with dealer scenario’ ...... so far I’ve always done well......