252 or CD555 ?

Posted by: wenger2015 on 17 November 2018

Thinking about my next upgrade, either 282 to 252 or CDX2 to CD555.

Any thoughts from those that have already made either change.....Or had opportunity to hear the comparisons ???

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by Foot tapper

Hi Wenger,

My vote goes to the CD555 (or CDS3 head unit for even less).  Some owners really appreciate the change from a 282 to a 252, others don't.  The CD555 on the other hand...

Enjoy the anticipation, whichever way you go.  FT

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by Adam Zielinski
wenger2015 posted:
Adam Zielinski posted:

Ok, definitely not source first then?

Not this time round

I think you will be better off with a very good pre-amp. As to a source - I anticipate you will move into streaming in a year-or-two.

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by wenger2015
Adam Zielinski posted:
wenger2015 posted:
Adam Zielinski posted:

Not this time round

I think you will be better off with a very good pre-amp. As to a source - I anticipate you will move into streaming in a year-or-two.

That’s always a possibility.....the pre-loved NDS prices are extremely good at the moment 

wenger2015 posted:
Adam Zielinski posted:
wenger2015 posted:
Adam Zielinski posted:

Not this time round

That’s always a possibility.....the pre-loved NDS prices are extremely good at the moment 

The convenience of having the entire library available is too good to miss.

If you think about it this way: CD and streamer playback is essentially the same. With a CD player, data is read off a spinning disc. With a steamer its being read off a driver in a NAS.
CD player is easier to implement, but more sensitve and prone to failure (moving parts and a laser). NAS is easy to set up and the biggest worry are internal drives failing.
CD player limits your files to 44.1 kHZ/ 16 bit. Streamer goes up to whatever is available.

So it’s swings and roundabouts really.

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by thebigfredc

I am not a fan of the inconvenience of streaming, for example, i just found this comment by one exponent in the Music Room:

I’ve just bought this as a download from Qobuz and have spent a couple of hours sorting out the metadata.

Ray

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by Mike-B
thebigfredc posted:

I’ve just bought this as a download from Qobuz and have spent a couple of hours sorting out the metadata.

Ray

It’s a Qobuz ‘thing’,  they even tell you are wrong & they are right when you complain.  The other vendors do a far better (correct) job with metadata

thebigfredc posted:

I am not a fan of the inconvenience of streaming, for example, i just found this comment by one exponent in the Music Room:

Ray

What has that got to do with streaming as such?

It’s akin to saying, I don’t like cars with automatic gear boxes becasuse roads in that city are full of potholes.

qobuz should be banned from selling anything - their ‘quality’ of metadata is just plainly criminal. 

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by wenger2015

Reference the streaming v cd argument...

I would like to hear NDS level, but  is it as good as CD555 level?

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by MDS
wenger2015 posted:

I'd say no. 

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by rjstaines
MDS posted:
wenger2015 posted:

I'd say no. 

I'd agree.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by wenger2015
rjstaines posted:
MDS posted:
wenger2015 posted:

I'd say no. 

I'd agree.

Interesting ...

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by nigelb

I am absolutely loving my NDS paired with a demo 552 and my 250DR. I am not familiar with the CD555, but from comments from those who are and have moved to the ND555, it would appear that it is the ND555 where the level of SQ is comparable to the CD555, not the NDS.

Having said that, I am only now hearing the full potential of the NDS with the introduction of the 552, and the NDS is bonkers good to my ears, in my system, in my room. I used my NDS with a 282, then moved to 252 and am about to pull the trigger on a pre loved 552, and the NDS has sounded great (to me) with all three pre amps.

Which way you go Wenger will ultimately hinge on whether you wish to stay with CD (and if so you can't t do better than a CD555) or if you want to take on the brave new world of streaming, where I would say the NDS is a great place to start and they are absolute bargains at the moment.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Bart
thebigfredc posted:

Ray

A couple of hours?  Was the OP using a feather quill pen and boiling berries to produce ink?  (Or maybe it was that 63-cd Mozart collection??)

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Pcd

Just ripped four CDs into my Core whilst having a cup of tea took longer to drink the tea than rip the CDs.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by gary yeowell

Easy, CD555 by a country mile.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by yeti42
Pcd posted:

Just ripped four CDs into my Core whilst having a cup of tea took longer to drink the tea than rip the CDs.

Let me guess. One has the composer listed as artist, no mention of the soloist and the wrong cover art, one has the conductor as artist and the composer's name in the title, another has the soloist as artist and in the title with no mention of the composer and one of them is reasonable but has no cover art. Just be glad it wasn't a boxed set.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by wenger2015
gary yeowell posted:

That suggests that’s it’s not even a close call ...?

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by MDS
wenger2015 posted:
gary yeowell posted:

I've heard the NDS with 555PSDR and in my view, no, it's not even close. 

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by gary yeowell
wenger2015 posted:
gary yeowell posted:

Strange as it may seem, i would go either 552 with existing CDX2/555PS, or CD555 with 282/SC2. Having had all those combos, including a 252 in the mix, the 252 is the bit that never excited me.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Jonn

After comparing the two I traded my CD555 for an NDS as it sounded just as good so no regrets at the time. They are certainly comparable but with different strength and weaknesses. For c£3000 on the s/h market both are somewhat of a bargain now.

The ND555 is a massive improvement but at a price.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by thebigfredc
Adam Zielinski posted:
thebigfredc posted:

Ray

What has that got to do with streaming as such?

It’s akin to saying, I don’t like cars with automatic gear boxes becasuse roads in that city are full of potholes.

qobuz should be banned from selling anything - their ‘quality’ of metadata is just plainly criminal. 

Hi Adam,

I was just making the point to the OP that some of us think streaming is a bit of a faff compared with cd.

I had a Unitiserve which was supposed to be good at the time and an NDX for about 4 years.

Ray

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by wenger2015
gary yeowell posted:
wenger2015 posted:
gary yeowell posted:

Strange as it may seem, i would go either 552 with existing CDX2/555PS, or CD555 with 282/SC2. Having had all those combos, including a 252 in the mix, the 252 is the bit that never excited me.

The 252 does seem to have a ‘marmite popularity ‘  ..

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Filipe
MDS posted:
wenger2015 posted:

I'd say no. 

Wenger and Mike, Apologies for a slight diversion. Mike, would I get better CD sound from my CDX2 if I put the 555Dr on it rather than playing through the nDAC + PS555DR? No brainier for a CD5555.

Phil

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by nigelb

Wenger, having seen your current system in your profile and in answer to your question in the title of the thread, I would say neither, and go for a 552. Although I am not familiar with the CDX2, I only hear good things and with a PS555DR powering it, it should be very capable. But coming from a 282 then 252 and now 552, I can plainly hear just how revealing the 552 is above and beyond both the 282 and 252.

The 552 has revealed just how capable my NDS, 250DR and MA speakers really are. And you have a 300DR, just made for the 552.

I tried the NDS55/252DR against NDS/552 and the top pre won out easily. In this instance it was pre amp fist rather than source first. I promise you a 552 will bring your CDX2/555DR/300DR to life. Just need to find one to demo and then a pre loved one to buy. Simples!

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by wenger2015

NIGELB,

very interesting observation.... it has already been mentioned once in this thread.... reference a CDS3 and 552.

I had initially dismissed the possibility of a 552....mainly due to the cost implications..... 

and the CDS3 seems unexciting compared to a CD555.

That said I have noted your own experience with the 552 and It has made me reconsider my next move....

Often my Choice of upgrade depends on a too good a deal to miss opportunity....it may just be a case of being patient until a 552 comes along at the right price?