252 or CD555 ?

Posted by: wenger2015 on 17 November 2018

Thinking about my next upgrade, either 282 to 252 or CDX2 to CD555.

Any thoughts from those that have already made either change.....Or had opportunity to hear the comparisons ???

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by ULRIKL

I had CD555 and NDS side by side in my system for 2 years. I prefered the NDS so I sold the CD555...

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Pcd

Wenger, glad to hear you have not totally dismissed the streaming route I've not had a CD player for a few years adopting the streaming route some time ago. A well set up streaming system can be immensely enjoyable and a very convenient way to listen to music.

Could you not home demo a CD555 or NDS ?

The 282 against the 252 has divided opinions but I much preferred the presentation of the 252 over the 282 in a back to back demo at my dealers all down to personal choice like a lot of other things in the Naim Black Box world.

I used a NDX with a XPSdr in my system for several years and found it a extermely capable and enjoyable combination at its price point but then the Beast arrived enough said ! 

Good hunting as they say.

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Filipe
Bert Schurink posted:

Assuming you want to stay with cd replay I would suggest the 282, while the 252 is a bet with longer term reach.

Naim stuff takes ages to give its best. Most demos don’t last long enough to really reveal the differences. They give a hint but then you get a long period where you doubt your choice. Really pleased now with my 252 (282 + SCDR before) and 555PS on nDAC (XPSDR before). Perhaps it needed nearly 2 months of pilgrimage, walking 452 miles from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela, to get HiFi out of the mind! It comes down to personal priorities.

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by rackkit
hungryhalibut posted:

If it were me, I’d get a CDS3, which is to me more musical than the CD 555 and thrives with the 555PS, and a nice used 552. 

Good luck trying to find a used 552... 

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by ULRIKL

I sold my 552 this week

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by ct

wasn't there a recent sale of a 552 on flea bay?

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Bert Schurink
ULRIKL posted:

I sold my 552 this week

Why ?

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by MangoMonkey

NacS1. Congrats!

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Antonio1

Source first, then 252.

As according to your profile you seem to use both tt and CD player/555 and that will help improve a lot both sources.

Hungryhalibut’s advice is also interesting, I was hooked after listening to cds3/555 a long time ago and 552 is superb.

Furthermore 252 and cd555 should be done at the same time I reckon.

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by wenger2015
Antonio1 posted:

Furthermore 252 and cd555 should be done at the same time I reckon.

That would be nice but it’s definitely going to be one or the other..

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Adam Zielinski

Come to think of it [@mention:50422349809511500]...

I would actually upgrade the pre-amp now.

Leave your CDX2 as it is - it is a fine source indeed. You may warm up to the idea of streaming in a while and decide if you still want to spin discs or it’s time for a streamer. 

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Drewy

You need to be aiming for the 552. The 252 would be a mistake I think. I have 552 and 300 both DR.

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Cdb
analogmusic posted:

Not sure about that. The CD555 to my ears sounds very similar to an ND555.

which would one rather have, an LP12, or a CD555.

for me the answer is clear -  I would take the CD555 as CD's are available, but LP's not as much.

Both, is the answer! and I have many LPs on my shelves.

Clive

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Ravenswood10

Well I have a 300DR and a 252 DR with a Supercap DR and am delighted with it. It’s certailly not a mistake on the end of an NDS/ 555PS. 

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Adam Zielinski
Ravenswood10 posted:

Well I have a 300DR and a 252 DR with a Supercap DR and am delighted with it. It’s certailly not a mistake on the end of an NDS/ 555PS. 

Fully agree!

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Pcd
Ravenswood10 posted:

Or a ND555/555PS 

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by nigelb
Adam Zielinski posted:
Ravenswood10 posted:

Fully agree!

^^^^^

Wot they say!

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by rsch
Drewy posted:

You need to be aiming for the 552. The 252 would be a mistake I think. I have 552 and 300 both DR.

+ 1 

The 552 is not going to happen.....

I am somewhat reluctant to go down the streaming route just yet.... but never say never 

The 252 is an easy home dem, just a call to my dealer..

the CD555 is far more difficult to home dem.... I would probably be buying blind....although at the right price it’s not really a risk...

for the time being it’s one or the other....

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Sounsfaber

Great thing about a CD555 over a streamer is that, as long as the cd’s are in good nick it will actually work when you press play! 

Get the cd555. The 282 is a fine pre. Long term nac 552.  Enjoy you know what to do.????????

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Emre

? did Upgrade From cd2x to cd555..... it is all different ball game

pre amps Are Easy to Find and there is always 552, you never know maybe it can enter to your wish list, anyway cd555 is one of the the Best CD players ever produced....not that i listen all but i did my fair share

so if you ilke CDs and Find a nice, good one dont miss cd555

streaming is nice but there will be a NeXT bir thing every year if not every six month.... 

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by MDS

Your 282/SCDR/300DR is a lovely combination, which I thoroughly enjoyed when I owned one.  Definitely worth trying the 252 in place of the 282 (I did twice) to see if it's qualities please you.  It is different presentationally to the 282, and that presentation pleases some but not everyone. If your dealer can offer you a home demo that has to be worth trying.  In my view, you would be taking no risk at all if you bought a well-priced CD555 head unit blind.  The very worst that can happen is you could sell it on at little or no loss but far, far more likely is that you will simply laugh out loud at what it delivers over your CDX2.

Sounsfaber posted:

Great thing about a CD555 over a streamer is that, it will actually work when you press play! 

Now that did make me chuckle..... especially since I’ve just had to send my Qb back to naim!!!!

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Filipe
wenger2015 posted:
Sounsfaber posted:

Great thing about a CD555 over a streamer is that, it will actually work when you press play! 

Now that did make me chuckle..... especially since I’ve just had to send my Qb back to naim!!!!

Been trying not to say that on the ND555 impressions thread. Of course my 800 CDs is still manageable without a streamer, and I can read the covers etc. Kept having App problems whenever I tried a streamer. Very content with vinyl and CDs.

As an aside, one of the kindred spirits I met on my 452 mile pilgrimage from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela told me travel is really good for the brain cells because humans evolved to explore their environment as a matter of survival. If we live in the same environment we don’t get this basic stimulation we need. Slow travel brought me alive and made me feel young again at 70!

Well I think streamers don’t encourage you to explore your music the way having physical contact with it does. Read my blog on Facebook via www dot robocap dot org dot uk to get an insight of my pilgrimage.

Phil

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by spurrier sucks
Emre posted:

? did Upgrade From cd2x to cd555..... it is all different ball game

pre amps Are Easy to Find and there is always 552, you never know maybe it can enter to your wish list, anyway cd555 is one of the the Best CD players ever produced....not that i listen all but i did my fair share

so if you ilke CDs and Find a nice, good one dont miss cd555

streaming is nice but there will be a NeXT bir thing every year if not every six month.... 

There will indeed be something new on the horizon at least until the life cycle of said source ends. Kind of like with the CD555.