252 or CD555 ?

Posted by: wenger2015 on 17 November 2018

Thinking about my next upgrade, either 282 to 252 or CDX2 to CD555.

Any thoughts from those that have already made either change.....Or had opportunity to hear the comparisons ???

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Filipe
wenger2015 posted:

After having a chat with my dealer, i have decided to have a dem of the 252, it’s an ideal opportunity with Xmas holidays on the horizon.

It with be interesting to compare with the 282... and also to utilise fully the capabilities of my  Supercap dr once hooked up to the 252.

A good decision. I feel my music collection can be fully enjoyed with the 252, something that could not be said when I had a 282. Make sure that you choose the 252 for that reason.

Keep us informed. Be warned it can take an age before the 252 gives of its best. Mine has certainly improved heaps.

Phil

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by wenger2015

Not sure if my dealer is providing a demo 252 or if it’s a new box.... 

but I am under no pressure, the demo can be as long as necessary....

the 252 is often referred to as being ‘grown up’ compared to the 282.... so looks forward to finding out just why I it’s described that way...

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by nigelb

Wenger, I too will be interested to hear about how the 252 compares with your 282 in your system at home. Remember the 252 is even fussier about set up than the 282 but glad to see you have 2 columns of Fraim and good cabling. I know there has been some recent debate on here about kit ordering in Fraim racks but I am still of the opinion that the 252 sounds best given air around it on he top shelf.

Good luck.

BTW, I loved my 252 too.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by drawtheline55

Yes, looking forward to hear what you have to say when you audition the 252.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by wenger2015
nigelb posted:

Wenger, I too will be interested to hear about how the 252 compares with your 282 in your system at home. Remember the 252 is even fussier about set up than the 282 but glad to see you have 2 columns of Fraim and good cabling. I know there has been some recent debate on here about kit ordering in Fraim racks but I am still of the opinion that the 252 sounds best given air around it on he top shelf.

Good luck.

BTW, I loved my 252 too.

Ok, that’s interesting....may have to drop the cdx2 down a shelf for the 252 to sit on top....

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by S3

My 252 is now on the top shelf above the NDS and the whole thing is now starting to sound like it should do. Well worth trying the 252 on top....

S3 posted:

My 252 is now on the top shelf above the NDS and the whole thing is now starting to sound like it should do. Well worth trying the 252 on top....

Hi David, How would you describe the difference?

One small aside: the record mute switch makes a noticeable sound difference, and therefore we are advised to mute the record (preamp Line output). It is similar to driving a Superline off the preamp. I’m not sure whether after turning the power off and on it comes back as originally set.

Phil 

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by S3

Just a pleasure to listen to now Phil. I’m no longer trying to analyse the sound and am just drawn into the music which is always my barometer of when it sounds right.

I always have the mute button on the second row pressed. 

Best 

David

S3 posted:

Just a pleasure to listen to now Phil. I’m no longer trying to analyse the sound and am just drawn into the music which is always my barometer of when it sounds right.

I always have the mute button on the second row pressed. 

Best 

David

Ok, In my case it’s an nDAC which is reckoned to be less of a problem than a CDP. When I turn mine off it is very difficult to hear the difference.

Can you hear the difference the record mute makes?

Phil

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by boom

I too will be very interested to hear your finding Wenger. What genre music do you listen to?

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by wenger2015
boom posted:

I too will be very interested to hear your finding Wenger. What genre music do you listen to?

From Rock to Jazz.....brought up on the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Genesis...... But have branched out to most genres now

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Drewy

Leave the 252 a week before you judge it. Then like me, realise you don't like it and go demo a 552 instead. Ouch.

Drewy posted:

Leave the 252 a week before you judge it. Then like me, realise you don't like it and go demo a 552 instead. Ouch.

Definitely Ouch!!!

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Filipe
wenger2015 posted:
Drewy posted:

Definitely Ouch!!!

Wenger, I’m sure you will get the 252 sounding amazing. It has the capability. It is a matter of getting everything setup right.

Phil

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by boom
wenger2015 posted:
boom posted:

From Rock to Jazz.....brought up on the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Genesis...... But have branched out to most genres now

Thanks, good to know. I’m pretty much the same, without the Jazz. 

Your insigjts will be helpful, I look for to your comments.

Enjoy the demo!

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by nigelb
wenger2015 posted:
Drewy posted:

Definitely Ouch!!!

Wenger, whatever you do, DO NOT listen to a 552! It will simply mess with your head..

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Mike Sullivan
nigelb posted:
wenger2015 posted:
Drewy posted:

Definitely Ouch!!!

Wenger, whatever you do, DO NOT listen to a 552! It will simply mess with your head..

Yeah, skip straight to the statement, then you’re done ????

nigelb posted:
wenger2015 posted:
Drewy posted:

Definitely Ouch!!!

Good advice.....but I do like to live dangerously...

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by nigelb

Wenger, you have been warned.

Better get a price on one of your less vital organs then…...

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Drewy

My previous post serves as a warning. For me the danger was trying the 252, it pushed me towards the 552. You could be heading into a trap.  

I’m really interested in your feedback. 

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by northpole

Really folks give it a break, would you?

Yes the 552 is great, but so too is the 252; and it is the 252 which Wenger is going to audition. 

Not the 552. 

Not the Statement. 

If you want to blether on about either of those or other alternatives, I'd hope you could take that conversation elsewhere.

No disrespect intended to you but I honestly do feel that your enthusiasm is rather undermining Wenger's planned audition of the 252.  That is where the focus of this thread should be at this time.

For what it's worth I made the move from 252 to 552 and, perhaps I'm weird, but it was more out of curiosity and a need (perhaps part driven by forum lather?) to complete the naim upgrade journey than any nirvana moment.  In my opinion, there is a fantastic cohesion between the 252 and 300 which produces a sound quality I could listen to all day long.

Looking forward to hearing how Wenger finds the 252 at home with his system.

Peter

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Adam Zielinski
nigelb posted:

Wenger, you have been warned.

Better get a price on one of your less vital organs then…...

Kidneys.... he should have two.... only needs one...

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Totally agree with Northpole.. the 252 is a fantastic preamp, yes the the 552 is better in certain areas.. but certainly not night and day difference.. an evolution and gaining insight is more how I would put it.. some of the hyperbole spoken about the 552 on this forum is ridiculous... 

I have owned a 252DR and now own a 552DR (thanks to a Bitcoin sale) but I could have quite happily lived with and enjoyed my 252.

Wenger I hope you really enjoy your 252 audition..

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Bankside

I have had my 252 for six months now (pre owned) and love it, but it didn’t really come into its own until I bought a full Fraim and spent a lot of time getting the cables right. It works beautifully with the 300 (no DR as yet)

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by wenger2015

Hopefully the 252 will arrive Tuesday next week....??

So any additional set up advice will very much appreciated.

At the moment though i am at Bicester Village with my dear wife buying her combined Xmas and birthday presents..... so I am just about to lose one kidney ...