Music Room

SkipPosted: 18 February 2018Last Updated: 19 February 2018
The Grateful Dead family has lost another great. Barlow was one of the coolest guys on the planet. He also figures prominently in the Netflix documentary, "The Other One: The Long Strange Trip of Bob Weir", which is one of the best things I have seen on Netflix. Sounds great on the Mu-So, too. This is from the San Jose Mercury News: John Perry Barlow, the lyricist for many classic Dead songs, died Feb. 6 at the age of 70. The cause of death is not yet known. News of his passing came via the...
zoo keeperPosted: 07 February 2018Last Updated: 18 February 2018
I bought a copy of this excellent album when it was first released back in 1972. After some years I sold it and have regretted doing so many times since. Recently I acquired a 2014 CD release and while enjoying it I have been a little underwhelmed. My memories of the original are of a more energetic presentation. However, last night I noticed that on this CD, Ritchie Blackmore appears (predominantly) on the left channel and Jon Lord on the right. I never saw Deep Purple live, but all the...
EJSPosted: 22 January 2018Last Updated: 16 February 2018
Hi all, Over the last few years, we've seen the classical music majors (Universal and Warner) and some minors (notably Pentatone) release new editions of older classical records - leaving us in the fortunate position to be able to contrast and compare editions and marvel at the improvements (?). I've collected a fair few remasterings of recordings that I know well and love, to do exactly this. What I've found is that in some cases, the remasters can only be considered an improvement; in...
thebigfredcPosted: 16 February 2018Last Updated: 16 February 2018
Dylan is a constant surprise. Bought with xmas money from the in laws. Somehow despite the different styles of the tracks, he still makes it feel like a singular body of work. I am disappointed in myself having not acquired it many years ago.
vintageaxemanPosted: 15 February 2018Last Updated: 15 February 2018
I saw Blue October in Birmingham UK, in March 2017. They were fantastic. I am seeing them again this year.
TOBYJUGPosted: 14 February 2018Last Updated: 15 February 2018
What's your favourite love songs ? An impossible ask since everything ever recorded has something to do with " LOVE " but I'll ask it anyway. Perhaps something more obscure or forgotten gems. The Heartache. The joy. The Muse. The longing. The swagger. The bounder. The miscreant. The unrequited. The all too much to mention.
MerckyPosted: 12 February 2018Last Updated: 14 February 2018
Only heard this evening, passed away on Friday at the age of 48 in Berlin. Unbelievable. I think IBM 1401 is called for this evening. RIP
Ardbeg10yPosted: 13 February 2018Last Updated: 13 February 2018
Hi As a follow up on the chat I had with Max in the Hifi Corner and a friendly suggestion to move the conversation to the Music Corner, I'd like to share the following experience with you. It was a long time ago that I visited the city of Fulda in Germany and its very old St. Michael's Church. This church has an interesting Crypt and a young guy was studying some weird music there on the small organ. I recognized the composer of the music and checked out which piece it was. It was Apparition...
seakayakerPosted: 12 February 2018Last Updated: 13 February 2018
For those who may be interest there is a wonderful documentary titled 'Bill Frisell - A Portrait.' I have watched it and enjoyed it, nearly 2 hours with a lot of insight into Bill, some pieces from live and studio performances along with multiple interviews with people who have worked with Bill. If You enjoy Bill's guitar playing and his musical compositions then you will enjoy this documentary. Information regarding the film can be found here: Bill Frisell Film website You can purchase the...
notnaim manPosted: 09 February 2018Last Updated: 12 February 2018
BBC4 at 22:00 tonight - Rock'n Roll Guns For Hire. Those essential performers, session players who may or may not record in their own right. Possibly top of my list has to be Sly and Robbie, but with Leonard Cohen, you get Sharon Robinson, The Webb Sisters. Other suggestions please.
David O'HigginsPosted: 31 January 2018Last Updated: 11 February 2018
My Gramophone subscription has led me to this wonderful Trio for the first time. How come I have never heard it before in 65 years? I am listening via Tidal and the ‘Czech Trio’. There is no further info. on Tidal (via Roon). Can anyone here make a recommendation for best recording?
Trevor WilsonPosted: 05 February 2018Last Updated: 05 February 2018
Dear Naim Forum, By now the rumour mill is in full swing about our new ND 555 500 Series Network Player. It’s been somewhat stoked by an unfortunate early announcement in the USA. So here are the facts and a glimpse of the current situation. The ND 555 (pictured above) is a real product and will be launched and delivered this year. We will show it at Sound and Vision – The Bristol Show this month, but at present we have no plans to demonstrate it. The team are still working very hard to...
james nPosted: 26 January 2018Last Updated: 03 February 2018
I have to admit to not owning anything by them, but the recent sad news has got me interested. If we take 'Hit The North' as a starting point to me wanting to explore more, what album(s) would be a good introduction to the band ? TIA James
SNAIC in the GrassPosted: 24 January 2018Last Updated: 03 February 2018
Creating this thread to highlight songs with awesome, incredible backing vocals. Many times the backing vocals are what make the entire song...post only the best of the best you've heard. Quality not quantity. I'll start off with one of my favorites, in honor of the Queen of Soul: Not much to say here, listen to the backing vocals.
ConsciousmessPosted: 27 January 2018Last Updated: 01 February 2018
Here's an irritation. Like many, I love classical music, but wouldn't claim erudition or scholarly qualities in any of it (e.g. Beethoven's later symphonies bearing closer similarities with Mozart perhaps due to them competing - paraphrased from Wikipedia - don't you love peer reviewed journals?) For that reason, would much rather the COMPOSER is listed, not the conductor or if it's ballet or symphony or anything else that is classical. I want to just search classical genre then choose the...
RedkevPosted: 24 January 2018Last Updated: 25 January 2018
It has just been confirmed that Mark E Smith had passed away. Mark was legend of indie music of the 70,s onwards and notoriously hard to get along with, he will be sadly missed
Bert SchurinkPosted: 23 January 2018Last Updated: 24 January 2018
Legendary jazz trumpeter Hugh Masekela, a leading figure in the struggle to end apartheid and "the father of South African jazz", has died aged 78. In a statement, his family said he had "passed peacefully" in Johannesburg "after a protracted and courageous battle with prostate cancer". Masekela gained global recognition with his distinctive Afro-Jazz sound and hits such as Soweto Blues. The 1977 song became synonymous with the anti-apartheid movement. In a statement, South African President...
jsaudioPosted: 22 January 2018Last Updated: 23 January 2018
I think we all realize that the quality of the recording makes the most difference in SQ. Almost all recordings by Jack Johnson and Elysian Fields to name 2 are superb. Any favorite high quality recordings irrespective of genre? Also can someone recommend the highest quality recording of Haydn's 12 London Symphonies
joerandPosted: 22 January 2018Last Updated: 22 January 2018
I have no prior knowledge of this album or the artist, but I see it posted so often here in the 'what are you listening to ..' thread that I felt compelled to investigate it. Even more compelling when I learned Mike recorded this at age 19 and played most of the instruments himself. Who gets a record contract at age 19? Occasionally I see an old Tubular Bells LP when digging through used vinyl bins, so tonight I gave it a YouTube sample. Bright, lively, and energetic. Given the background I...
joerandPosted: 20 January 2018Last Updated: 20 January 2018
An album or track from years or decades ago that you've only recently found to be a real gem. Perhaps rediscoveries you appreciate more now than back in the day. I'll start with two that I overlooked in my youth ...
Bob the BuilderPosted: 06 December 2017Last Updated: 19 January 2018
Maybe it has been tried before but anyone who wishes to join me in a weekley record club is more than welcome. I will kick off first with an LP from my collection and the rules are all club members must listen to the record all the way through wether or not they have heard it, like it or it is from an artist or genre that they like or listen to and the first member who posts a comment chronologicaly gets to pick the next weeks record. Very simple rules but of course the record must be...
dayjayPosted: 15 January 2018Last Updated: 16 January 2018
really sad to see that Delores has passed away at age 46. Always been a fan of the Cranberries and of her voice and sadly never got to see her live
Haim RonenPosted: 31 December 2017Last Updated: 14 January 2018
While trying recently to put some order in my CDs (1300) and Vinyl (450) collection, I painfully realized the magnitude of the 'unheard for so long' albums. So, what is the portion of your neglected music collection? For the sake of this discussion 'neglected' is not played for at least three years.
sjbabbeyPosted: 11 January 2018Last Updated: 12 January 2018
“Fast” Eddie Clarke. Last surviving member of the classic Motorhead lineup passed away today aged 67. Was lucky enough to see the classic “Motorhead” at Leeds Queens Hall on the “Bomber” tour and at Deeside for “Ace of Spades”. R.I.P. Eddie.
spurrier sucksPosted: 30 December 2017Last Updated: 12 January 2018
There were a lot of good albums released this year. What's your top 5 of 2017? In no real order mine are Beck-Colors The Magpie Salute-The Magpie Salute Dead Heavens-Whatever Witch You Are Chris Stapleton-From A Room:Volume 1 & 2 I like them both so I'll count as 1 Tyler Childers-Purgatory Only 5 is real easy this year I could go on but then that would be more than top 5