Music Room

Pigeon_FancierPosted: 18 March 2018Last Updated: 02 April 2018
Hi All, I'm wrestling with two, new to me listening challenges - a budding interest in classical music and a toe dip into streaming. There are so many dimensions to that (not least, learning about the music and the technology) but for now my inner dewey-decimalist needs help organising the rips. Classical music recordings often refer to multiple artists, orchestras, a conductor, venue, composers, variants etc. Wow! I can handle a various artists compilation of Chesky or a naim sampler but...
Allan MilnePosted: 21 March 2018Last Updated: 01 April 2018
Haven't posted for a long time and my music listening has been very sparse but SWMBO was out this morning and I turned to my vinyl which I have not visited for some time, being able to play it at a decent volume for once! I noticed the first 2 albums I picked were both from 1971 and so did a trawl through my spreadsheet and ... OMG - that was some kind of great year :D ... and perhaps has the best single side of any album - side one of Led Zeppelin IV ... IMO of course! For anyone...
TheronPosted: 29 March 2018Last Updated: 30 March 2018
Getting rereleased in May .
Bob the BuilderPosted: 30 March 2018Last Updated: 30 March 2018
I've been watching this series on Netflix about the relationship/partnership between one music's very oddest couples Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine and can reccomend it highly. Has anyone else enjoyed it I'm up to episode four?
YetizonePosted: 29 March 2018Last Updated: 30 March 2018
Hi folks - just a quick question - are Apple iTunes album purchases / downloads the same quality (16-bit/44.1kHz) as a CD or are they lossy? Just need to know before I make a couple of purchases for teenager No1 in the house, or alternatively order the discs from ARiver. Thanks :)
Paper PlanePosted: 07 March 2018Last Updated: 27 March 2018
Maybe I missed a memo somewhere but it appears they have called it a day? Having been a fan since Signals and seen them live several times I am quite sad. steve
AndyP19Posted: 27 March 2018Last Updated: 27 March 2018
I found watching this quite obessive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym3jW9oD63c There is over 10 hours of court room coverage with some great 'performances' from the Moodies but things don't really get started until Ray Thomas takes the stand in Part 3 with Graeme Egde in Part 7 just hilarious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vh3FzMNFxc. John Lodge is clearly a smart guy and any sympathies for Patrick Moraz waned as his quite bizarre testimony continued. Compulsory viewing if your a...
fathings catPosted: 22 March 2018Last Updated: 25 March 2018
I know there are quite a few Floydians on the forum so good news they are rereleasing Pulse on vinyl. Just a heads up Gary
YetizonePosted: 23 March 2018Last Updated: 23 March 2018
This week, I have spent the evenings cataloguing my albums and I'm just over half way through - sheesh, its quite the task! I never thought I'd bother doing anything like this, but having recently doubled up on a few of CDs (bought in store and relying on memory) I thought I needed a solution. I buy the odd album off Discogs and recall they have a ‘Collection’ list facility, and more importantly a synced mobile phone App which uses the camera to scan CD/LP barcodes to bring up corresponding...
Salmon DavePosted: 03 March 2018Last Updated: 21 March 2018
Charles Hazlewood met up with his (apparently) hero Terry Riley while filming in California and NYC for a two-parter about the minimalists (Riley and Lamonte Young of John Cale fame; part two = Steve Reich and Philip Glass). Terry felt that the term minimalist was too - reductivist, leaving out too much of what makes some of their music so powerful to the right ears. One YouTube poster summed it up for me - 'Terry Riley has a happier muse than the other minimalists'... Nice documentary...
docbotPosted: 02 March 2018Last Updated: 14 March 2018
Tried to buy the new Kieth Jarrett album but the site wouldn’t let me pay by PayPal. No probs in the past. Anyone else having difficulty? I have reported it to their support but no response yet.
ConsciousmessPosted: 13 March 2018Last Updated: 13 March 2018
i have just purchased and played Sting, Fields of Gold, recording in Q Sound and the sound is like a cloud blown up/inflated behind the speakers and up. i don’t care whether he voluntarily had his bottom two ribs removed, but for a 44.1kHz 16 bit piece - Q Sound is something! Why is it not more widely used?
nickpeacockPosted: 02 March 2018Last Updated: 12 March 2018
I thought I'd put in a plug for this series, presented on BBC 6 Music by Matt Everitt (formerly the drummer with Menswear). Each episode, Matt interviews a pop star about various firsts in their career to date, interspersed with tunes from the interviewee or their influences. At any one time you can usually download multiple past episodes via BBC iPlayer Radio, which is usually how I end up listening to it. They seem to keep re-releasing lots of past series. Jonny Greenwood's on the site at...
Bob the BuilderPosted: 21 February 2018Last Updated: 11 March 2018
I'm not a huge Miles Davis fan but my favourite two jazz LP's are both by him Kind of Blue is probably my favourite record of any genre and In a Silent Way my second favourite jazz record. I own four vinyl copies of this great recording I don't own an original six eye columbia mono pressing but do own a 1969 CBS, UK pressing, a Music on Vinyl press, a RSD Columbia Mono pressing and a Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab 45RPM remastered pressing. I intend in time to write a short review of each...
PevPosted: 10 March 2018Last Updated: 10 March 2018
Hidden away at midnight but gets a very good review on Radio Times.
Tony2011Posted: 07 March 2018Last Updated: 07 March 2018
So, NME is to stop printing of their weekly magazine this Friday. I’m surprised they have lasted that last long. I know that, along Melody Maker, Sounds and others, they were responsible for “promoting” and keeping us informed of the latest musical trends but, even in digital form, they have lost the plot a long time ago. No more free tapes, cds or vinyl singles goodies. Mind you, it’s been about 15 years since I last bought an issue. I wonder how much long can they hang on?
Belfast TaxmanPosted: 07 March 2018Last Updated: 07 March 2018
from my last post. if you like good honest rock music played live do not miss The Tempeance Movement in concert as they tour the UK and Europe. Their Belfast gig last week was really excellent.
Belfast TaxmanPosted: 07 March 2018Last Updated: 07 March 2018
if you like modern Country music and if, in particular you like the vocal style of Lindi Ortega, then this young lady from Nashville could be just your thing. Just a couple of EP’s available on SpotiTidal so far. if anyone can point me in the direction of vinyl then I should be very grateful. yes the music is Country but with an ambient indie-pop edge to it .
Mort2kPosted: 03 March 2018Last Updated: 05 March 2018
hello all i would be interested in finding out how you all find new music? cheers rob
vintageaxemanPosted: 19 February 2018Last Updated: 03 March 2018
On BBC Four, Friday 23rd February 2018 For One Night Only The Old Grey Whistle Test 3 hour Special to celebrate 30yrs since it ended. Hosted by Bob Harris, this live studio show features music, special guests and rare archive footage to mark the 30 years since the legendary series was last broadcast. Featuring performances from Peter Frampton, Richard Thompson, Albert Lee and more. Bob also chats to Whistle Test alumni, including Dave Stewart, Joan Armatrading, Ian Anderson, Chris Difford...
kumaPosted: 05 January 2018Last Updated: 02 March 2018
My fave is Frederick Gulda's 'Jab and jives' and 'fuggettaboutit'. Also hilarious he's flipping through the score trying to catch up with the orchestra. Surprising to see Cliburn conducting the Prokofiev's 3rd PC. ( that's tough but he's cool as a cucumber! )
vintageaxemanPosted: 15 February 2018Last Updated: 28 February 2018
Chances are that you haven't heard of them. They're only young. DON'T watch the youtube videos. They look like 1D or some young boy band who actually CAN play their instruments. But if you like good quality old-school rock with a few other influences thrown in, do me a favour. Have a listen on Spotify, and please write your response on here, if you agree with me that this young band are producing a quality sound.
PopeyePosted: 16 February 2018Last Updated: 27 February 2018
HI all I am just back from a live concert and I felt like I had to write this post. The artist was great but totally let down by everything else. Why is all live music so loud that your ear drums want to burst and your vision shakes! Everyone goes on about how they want there systems to replicate live, I don’t, I would rather my system over live! The equipment being used was clearly rubbish and her microphone and speakers were constantly distorted and I could only follow beats not lyrics! I...
al9315Posted: 26 February 2018Last Updated: 27 February 2018
In case anyone is interested ?
rschPosted: 25 February 2018Last Updated: 25 February 2018
New releases for the the 3-4 Felt albums have been announced for Feb 23th. However prices, especially for the cd edition (cd + 7" box set) seem quite extortionate at 40 euro on average. I don' t see point why a reissue of old albums originally released 30 + years ago have to be so expensive I'm afraid i will quit this time Regards Roberto