Hi-Fi Corner

gsrPosted: 12 December 2018Last Updated: 15 December 2018
Hi, currently have 272/250DR with PMC 25.23. Use a non-Naim XPS into 272. Looking at upgrading to 2nd hand 300DR recently serviced. Listen mainly to rock and electronic. Sitting position is about 8-9ft from speakers. Good idea? Thanks Gordon
PopeyePosted: 13 December 2018Last Updated: 15 December 2018
Today out of curiosity I was playing more with speaker placement thinking I had them spot on but, having read on another forum about placement and toe, it was spoken about toeing out the speakers rather than in. I have done this and I am amazed what it has done and dramatically improved my soundstage and imaging. Full wall of sound in front of me now. I know my speakers throw a ridiculously wide sound stage anyway but this is ridiculous any feels 3D. Is this a done thing, toe out or is this...
benjyPosted: 11 December 2018Last Updated: 14 December 2018
Was wondering if ppl. in the U.S. are adding ndx2 to their systems? I'm considering it, but the additional cost here makes it a much more difficult decision. I've only heard the nd555 for a short time -very nice. Not to get too specific, but is naim doing well here?
best_jerryPosted: 12 December 2018Last Updated: 14 December 2018
Current system is: CDS3/XPS2/252/300, all power supply is non dr version, already using SL interconnect cable and SL speaker cable. Now considering to buy a SL din to xlr cable for my 300 in order to complete full loop concept, or upgrade my 300 to dr version, which option you would prefer?
CDIPosted: 11 December 2018Last Updated: 13 December 2018
I have just had to empty my lounge and rebuild the Hifi after a new carpet- there is a terrible mains type buzzing when playing music- I replaced the hiline wth the old lavender and it stops - is the hiline susceptible to becoming broken ? Should I send it back to naim? I haven’t mishandled it and spent nearly 2 hours rebuilding the Fraim and boxes very carefully Sounds awful now with the lavender cable - not happy
FangfossFlyerPosted: 01 December 2018Last Updated: 13 December 2018
The following from the monthly newsletter email from Naim made me think: “We're incredibly excited for the festive period, we're sure you'll agree it's the perfect chance to impress friends and family with new systems!” Do you buy your system to impress others? As for me this is the last thing on my mind! Richard
Christopher_MPosted: 26 January 2018Last Updated: 12 December 2018
Hi All, I have a Dynavector 20X2 Low on my Sondek. The phonostage is a Stageline S. This was all a great match when I had SBLs. A fairly recent change of circumstance means I now have Allaes. I characterise them as having a fuller, looser presentation than the SBLs, especially in the bass and mid, whereas the SBLs were drum tight. The consequence is that I'm finding records a bit ploddy where once they weren't. I am wondering if an AT-OC9/III might now be the way to go. What do you make of...
Johnny5Posted: 12 November 2018Last Updated: 12 December 2018
Anybody use the AudioQuest niagara 1000 l would like to know your thoughts.
Clive GidneyPosted: 02 December 2018Last Updated: 12 December 2018
One of the bass/mid drive units in my SBLs is buzzing at certain low frequencies - typically bass kick drums of plucked double bass. Dont know if you'll be able to hear it on my phone video. I've tried different sources, swapped speaker leads left for right, swapped the crossovers, taken the drive unit out but there's nothing obvious loose, the phase plug seems tight. Recommendations for who to go to for rebuilds please
Dan.SPosted: 11 December 2018Last Updated: 11 December 2018
Quick questions for the community wisdom. I have a 272 with a PS connected to a 250DR. I know for a fact the wall socket I'm using is not grounded and also there's this annoying hum coming from the 250DR, so here it goes: 1. What setting should I use for the ground switch? Floating or chassis? Cant tell the difference myself, SQ wise. 2. Is there a way of grounding my system, for example using a clamp on the 272 chassis and connecting it through wire to the building radiator? Has anyone did...
arekeyPosted: 09 December 2018Last Updated: 11 December 2018
Hello guys, I need some advice. There is the possibility for me to buy a 5 meters pair of pre-loved Naim Super Lumina speaker cables with 50% off. For several reasons it's not possible to give them a listen in my system (Naim Uniti Nova + B&W 804D3) and there is no refund possible too. I tried to find a dealer with these cables in stock for a home demo, but there is no one next to my location in germany. At hifi+ there is a review of the SL SC in which he mainly praises the SL SC but...
clivePosted: 11 December 2018Last Updated: 11 December 2018
My cd player on an original uniti Cd player is failing. It all happened when the puck pulled away the bottom Spindle. I read other people had the same problem but couldnt find a sollution. Someone mentioned there was a sollution on I Fix it, but was unable to fix it. Clive
eazyryderPosted: 10 December 2018Last Updated: 11 December 2018
I posted this question on the actual novafidelity forums and didn't get one response so I thought I would consult with you well-knowledged lot. My novafidelity x12 (music storage/streamer) has either passthrough fixed or passthrough variable digital out settings. My qutest is connected via the coaxial digital output on the novafidelity x12. I currently have passthrough variable set for digital out, to my qutest. Is this the best option of the two? What are the differences, as I would like...
Sally HorsesPosted: 05 December 2018Last Updated: 11 December 2018
What are the best speaker cables to go with the Star? My system is: Sonetto V speakers, Naim Star, Nas drive, Nordost Frey 2 power cord and Wireworld Eclipse 8 speaker cable. I want more detail at the low to mid-volumes. Any suggestions? Thanks. Sally Horses ?
roydmanPosted: 18 November 2018Last Updated: 10 December 2018
My late model Nait 3 sounds more live and real than any other integrated I own (Nait 1, Nait 5, Rega Brio 3), and is on par with a high-gain tube preamp I have which is fantastic but too hot for my room most of the year (4m X 4m room). To compete with the tube pre is no easy feat! It took me a while to get to this point. I was using the tube pre (with nice vintage tubes) for months and loved it until the weather changed then I put in the Nait 3 and was very surprised I was getting almost...
JonnersPosted: 04 December 2018Last Updated: 10 December 2018
I've just found out I've had my speaker cables plugged in the wrong way round on the back of my 200. They've been this way for the last 14 years. Humiliation and embarrassment doesn't even come close.....
TyranniuxPosted: 26 November 2018Last Updated: 10 December 2018
Moved house this week and was very much looking forward to the system in the new living room. The old room was a long narrow room and thus i was limited to how far the Ovators (s400) could sit out into the room. Having read many an account of them being happiest a metre or so out into the room i couldnt wait to get it set up. Having done so im gutted. No matter where i place the speakers, be it a metre into the room of only 10cm from the wall i have no bass whatsoever other than a (very...
drawtheline55Posted: 08 December 2018Last Updated: 10 December 2018
Hi, cant seem to find this in the manual, just wondering, if one wanted to leave a naim amp on for say a week, even a month without anything hooked up to it and no speakers hooked either, just the amp on to keep it warm. Is that ok, or a big no no, just dont know, thanks.
richard999Posted: 09 December 2018Last Updated: 10 December 2018
Ive just been on an un-named auction site and got my self some Nac a5! so it will be in the post as of tomorrow hopefully. For about 15 years I've been using cable talk 3.1 and have tried chord rumour and chord odyssey tried the kimber 8tc and the quad stuff and the red anniversary ... non of them sounded quite right hence going back to the cable talk stuff...I wanted to scratch the itch with A5 so I'm wondering what i should be expecting....its used so probably had a few running hours...
Bob the BuilderPosted: 23 November 2018Last Updated: 09 December 2018
I have just bought an Olive Supercap which was converted from an early 90's 52PS in 2008. Unfortunately according to Naim they no longer have service information on older units on their 'new' system so I'm going to have to pick your brains. Firstly what is changed during this conversion as I'm trying to establish which components where new or are replaced with new during this conversion/service because at the moment I have only seen photographs from the outside it obviously had a new...
AceonePosted: 09 December 2018Last Updated: 09 December 2018
Hi can anyone advise me when my nac 82 needs servicing it a 2000 model thanks aceone.
ursus262Posted: 08 December 2018Last Updated: 09 December 2018
Can anyone recommend a universal remote that works with the Naim Uniti (original, 2, lite and super)? My logitech is useless and I am looking to replace it. Dave
DuncPCPosted: 30 November 2018Last Updated: 09 December 2018
As above, go a 52 that's on pots 2 board and runs on the old style main board and remote. Looking at pots 8 upgrade and service and wounded what expected costs could be and what other upgrades could be done to it. Does the latter main board sound better ? Or is it just a tidy up and removed in line boards ? Any help or info would be much appreciated as did a quick search but couldn't find any prices
BoshPosted: 08 December 2018Last Updated: 09 December 2018
My Flash 2 remote died in a cloud of smoke a few weeks ago and my local dealer says it cant be serviced anymore I also have a Flash 1 and was of the understanding that the 2 is only a software upgrade of the 1. Does anyone know if this can be done just by swapping in the Eprom from the 2 into the 1 or does it involve more than that Failing this which Naim remote controls both CD players and amps (my Qute 2 one does the amp but not CD555)
Dan.SPosted: 26 September 2018Last Updated: 09 December 2018
So being told by Naim customer support no 272 replacement is in the pipeline, I decided to upgrade mine to a 282 and a dedicated streamer, therefore my problem: Should I go for an (sh)NDX or ND5XS2? Being plagued in the past with streaming issues, I'm kind of leaning towards the newer platform but I don't want to skimp on the SQ. Anyone auditioned these two side by side? They should be similar in performance, right? Could I even hope for better results from the ND5XS2? Thank you kindly.