Music Room

Martin MPosted: 06 February 2001Last Updated: 06 February 2001
Which was Mozart's Four String Quartets on Denon from 1972. It was released on CD, anybody know if it is still available?
Arye_GurPosted: 04 February 2001Last Updated: 06 February 2001
Ron,Israely music broadcasting on lineArie
Arye_GurPosted: 02 February 2001Last Updated: 06 February 2001
I'd never discussed music with other peopel and I don't have the theoretical understanding.Ron asked me to talk about the music I listen to (hey Ron, you don't want just to free the HiFi room from my presence ? ) and here I am.Unless I have visitors...
ken cPosted: 01 February 2001Last Updated: 03 February 2001
i just picked up "dave brubeck trio & gerry mulligan live at the berlin philharmonie". great (double) album! have the obligatory "time out" and one or 2 others -- but this was a very good find. in the shop i saw a brubeck solo piano album -- and wondered what that was like --- didnt have time to sample. anyone listened to this tell me what its like? remember you are talking to someone who digs jarrett; b evans; peterson; mccoy tyner; ... etc etc. enjoy... ken
Martin MPosted: 01 February 2001Last Updated: 03 February 2001
A quick recommendation for a CD I picked from Amazon - the re-mastered version of Soild Air by John Martyn. Great music as I guess you already know. Fabulous re-mastering effort, clean, smooth, dynamic, musical. Much better than the original version I...
Ron The MonPosted: 01 February 2001Last Updated: 02 February 2001
Has anyone heard the new Young Gods record? It is called Second Nature and came out a few months ago. I have to special order it to get it on vinyl and it is quite expensive. I have about a dozen of their records (all on vinyl) with the exception of...
LeePosted: 01 February 2001Last Updated: 01 February 2001
New cds in my player this week:Ku-ling Bros. - Creach: superb funky sounds from Oz courtesy of Mal (of Cabaret Voltaire fame) and Shane Norton. Elements of funk, hip hop and dub with seismic bass. I've seen people mention Fila Brazilia on this site...
John CPosted: 01 February 2001Last Updated: 01 February 2001
With the record player out of action I was missing the Tennessee Two so dug out an old Rhino box set best of Sun Records. 3 CDs of heavenly joy.Johnny Cash, Roy Orbsion, "The Killer" Jerry Lee, Elvis obviously, the great Carl Perkins. My favourite...
Tim JonesPosted: 27 January 2001Last Updated: 31 January 2001
Just to say how stunning the latest Fall release ('The Unutterable') is. When Mark E went off the rails and sacked the band a couple of years ago most fans felt pretty sick about it - and the subsequent album (which sucked ass) didn't help.But the new...
Top CatPosted: 07 January 2001Last Updated: 30 January 2001
...any recommendations? I've always had a notion to check them out, but never known where to start. I was at a record fair yesterday and picked up a couple of LPs, one was "Blues for Allah" which is pretty good. Can someone point me in the right ...
Tony LPosted: 15 January 2001Last Updated: 29 January 2001
Its Icelandic music week (again).Sigur Ros 'Von' - I have now completed working backwards through the Sigur Ros back catalogue. This is their first album released in Iceland only. It certainly lacks much of the uniqueness and stunning maturity of the...
Martin DPosted: 24 January 2001Last Updated: 28 January 2001
Just read in a mag that sting lives in Salisbury. Anyone from the factory popped round with a few NAP 500's?For that matter any known celeb users ?Martin
Martin DPosted: 27 January 2001Last Updated: 28 January 2001
I was a big fan of his first 2 albums, but got side tracked into other things. Any comments on his more recent stuff. I think i have seen a new album dated march 2000?Martin
TristramPosted: 25 January 2001Last Updated: 25 January 2001
After listening to Stages a couple of days ago, I decided to open up Essential JH, for the first time in a while. The recording quality on the Essential disc are not great, but the brilliance of the artist still shone through. Is there any Hendrix fan...
Todd APosted: 04 January 2001Last Updated: 24 January 2001
I urge every fan of modern classical music to buy Samuel Jones's Roundings and Cello Sonata on Naxos. It's part of the American Classics series. Why, you may be wondering. Well, two reasons. First, the music is actually pretty good. The cello sonata...
Martin MPosted: 24 January 2001Last Updated: 24 January 2001
I guess the LP-type people have been wondering about the quality of Simply Vinyl's records, and more specifically whether they are sourced from digital tapes or not. I thought I'd write down what I know.Sourced from analogue tapesAll Bob Dylan's...
CheesePosted: 13 January 2001Last Updated: 23 January 2001
I own several brilliant versions of this most famous song cycle, Hans Hotter (with Gerald Moore) being my favourite.Does anyone recommend another interpretation ? By the way, I am still looking for a Winterreise sung by a woman. Ok, I already own...
Dave HartleyPosted: 19 January 2001Last Updated: 23 January 2001
I've recently bought the CD of film "Gladiator"so impressed with the content and sound quality ofthe CD but......I can't find out what language some of these tracks are sung in..Does anyone know?cheersDave
Tony LPosted: 22 January 2001Last Updated: 23 January 2001
Last week Lee said:quote:Goldfrapp: Felt Mountain - Glorious vocals, whistling and yodelling from Alison Goldfrapp allied to trip-hop oompah funk(no, really!). Totally unique, totally gorgeous. Buy it and find out!So this week…Goldfrapp 'Felt...
Top CatPosted: 22 January 2001Last Updated: 22 January 2001
Quick question, need a quick answer.I'm negotiating buying a colleague's record collection - it's fairly small, runs to around 30 albums. He wants to sell it in one lot, and the price isn't too bad.thing is...Included in that amount are six or seven...
JebPosted: 19 January 2001Last Updated: 22 January 2001
Can anyone recommend what they feel are the best recorded and best sounding Naim Label CDs. Also, what are the "must have" recordings and which were Julians favorites on the label?Thanks!Steven
Thomas KPosted: 11 January 2001Last Updated: 21 January 2001
Can anyone recommend some good recordings of Satie and Debussy piano works? I have Satie’s ‘Gymnopédies/Gnossiennes’ played by the Jacques Loussier Trio (excellent HDCD recording) and wouldn’t mind having a classical...
Todd APosted: 16 January 2001Last Updated: 19 January 2001
Inspired partially by the excellent Jazz documentary currently running on PBS, partially by the desire to add to my jazz collection, and partially by the sale at my local Tower Records, I bought the (re-)re-mastered disc “Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington: The Summit.” Let me tell you, this is a jazz disc to buy. It most emphatically is not the best work by either artist, but it is a great deal of fun to listen to. The music just has a sense of fun and energy about it that...
Andrew L. WeekesPosted: 12 January 2001Last Updated: 19 January 2001
Audio street have a January sale on, with a small selection of CD's that may be of interest.Go Here 2001 - A sale odyssey to view the titles.I've cut and paste the list below, if anyone cares to pick any titles worth buying, post them here!My personal...
TristramPosted: 15 January 2001Last Updated: 16 January 2001
Any suggestions for the best cd recording of this masterpiece? tw