Music Room

Arun MehanPosted: 25 November 2000Last Updated: 06 December 2000
Anyone know anything about this group? I just caught them on tv and they sounded really different. I guess they sing in Old English and Old French and other non-spoken languages. Any info would be appreciated.Also, the new Enya CD is only 37 minutes...
Tony LPosted: 26 November 2000Last Updated: 04 December 2000
Just one item this week, so I’ll waffle on a bit about it...Joy Division ‘Heart and soul’ – 4CD box set. This is currently available for around half price from both HMV and Virgin at the moment, I got it from HMV for 16.99,...
John SchmidtPosted: 17 November 2000Last Updated: 01 December 2000
Earlier this week, one of the hosts of "As It Happens", a nightly news magazine on CBC radio, made a passing reference to Billie Holiday as "the best female jazz vocalist ever". Well, that really got the old Talk Back machine humming with alternative...
Steve ShochetPosted: 06 November 2000Last Updated: 01 December 2000
Has anyone heard anything about the Beatles catalogue being remastered on CD? Yellow Submarine was done last year, and I was hoping the rest would be coming, but I haven't heard anything. There has been such a big effort to correct the mistakes of the...
EdotPosted: 30 November 2000Last Updated: 01 December 2000
I'll be heading there in a couple of days. Any suggestions on where to look for used vinyl? I'm mainly interested in classical.Any opinions on what's the best beer/brewpub in town?
Stewart CooperPosted: 27 November 2000Last Updated: 30 November 2000
Today, R3 reminded me about this impressive, touching work. While I listen to a fair amount of Strauss, I hadn't heard this piece in years. I don't know why I've never picked up at least one recording. So, while the iron is hot... can anyone suggest a...
RicoPosted: 27 October 2000Last Updated: 29 November 2000
better than a MKii Ekos, it's : time to get yours on Pop Quizz, (MK ii).It's friday, and we need some variety. Let's not get toooooo bogged down in detail (as long as we don't re-write history) and crack some quick-fire questions. Keep it moving! One...
Andrew L. WeekesPosted: 06 November 2000Last Updated: 27 November 2000
Audiostreet (www.audiostreet.co.uk) have a sale page, offering a number of CD's at £5.99 ea.They are mainly older ones, and some are digitally re-murdered, but the Led Zep ones I've ordered seem to have survived the process better than many I've...
Todd APosted: 14 November 2000Last Updated: 27 November 2000
Anyone heard or bought this set? It's an EMI reissue that was slated for early October release, at least in the UK. It's spread out from 1944 through 1954 and looks to include the Bayreuth 9th that is also available as a Great Recording.I'm especially...
Mike ColePosted: 25 November 2000Last Updated: 25 November 2000
I guess I'm into a female vocal groove lately. I just picked this up today. Kind of hard to classify but I think it may fit into the light rock with an attitude category. It doesn't quite rock out like, say, Sass Jordan, but it is better recorded and...
Mark RamplingPosted: 12 November 2000Last Updated: 23 November 2000
Nortel Networks are showing a TV advert in the UK with 'Come Together' as the backing music -- anyone know who the performer is?I've tried contacting Nortel, but they didn't reply.
Andrew RandlePosted: 19 November 2000Last Updated: 23 November 2000
Here is my one and only purchase and contribution for this week.Leggo Beast - From Here to G. More "Ambient Grove", I'm really getting into this stuff... (re: Fila Brazilia and Tosca). Get your active NBLs/DBLs stoned on this one.AndrewAndrew Randle2B...
EdotPosted: 15 November 2000Last Updated: 20 November 2000
I've recently discovered Fisher and I'm eager to add the Well Tempered set to the Gould & Tureck sets that I own. There are at least three versions (EMI 1/2000 rel., Pearl and Phillips Great Pianist set). Has anyone compared them? Does one stand out?
fred simonPosted: 10 October 2000Last Updated: 17 November 2000
I realize that many of you don't live in the USA, but for anyone who does, or anyone visiting in the next couple of weeks, I thought I'd take this opportunity to invite one and all down to our record release party/gig and/or two gigs following that....
glendaPosted: 14 November 2000Last Updated: 15 November 2000
A very obscure film with a great sound track - or so it seemed at the cinema . Bought the cd - very mediocre - is it the cd or has anyone got it to sound fab on their system? The soundtrack also appears on "Purely Belter" - sorry, I'm a film buff as ...
TimboPosted: 07 November 2000Last Updated: 13 November 2000
I wonder if any one can tell me about the draw that is mentioned on the cards in the Naim CD's for 5 free ones.How often does this draw take place? Has anybody won?Just interested.Tim
Stewart CooperPosted: 10 November 2000Last Updated: 11 November 2000
Fiona Talkington's eclectic Radio 3 programme has been a pleasant find over the past few weeks. Woven between Baroque and World music, last night's playlist included Tangerine Dream's Journey Through a Burning Brain, John Fahey's Sunflower River Blues...
Andrew RandlePosted: 04 November 2000Last Updated: 09 November 2000
My turn to start the thread - jet lag from Montreal is keeping me from sleeping.Fila Brazillia - "A Touch of Cloth". This is not Latin American, but a fantastic fusion of Psychodelia and Acid House. Its like Tosca but much better. A big thanks to the...
Clive BPosted: 06 November 2000Last Updated: 08 November 2000
At the Bristol Show Feb 2000 in the demo on the 9th floor (with the DBL's) Mark played a stunning track from the album "Hope" by Hugh Masekela. Can anyone remind me of the title of that track please? There are reasons...Thanks and regards, CB
RicoPosted: 29 August 2000Last Updated: 07 November 2000
Wow. I scored it a while back, but hadn't yet listened to it. Will to live was also available as a 2-disc set - live four-track bonus ep. I've been grooving away to the main CD since the Bristol show (was that really February?), but just too damned...
Todd APosted: 16 October 2000Last Updated: 06 November 2000
Okay. I need some help here. I’ve recently heard a few Schubert piano sonatas on the radio played by Mitsuko Uchida and Andras Schiff and I loved them. When I then listened to Uchida’s rendition of the Impromptus (and Lipatti’s, too)...
Willem van GemertPosted: 24 October 2000Last Updated: 05 November 2000
Just saw there is a new P.J. Harvey: Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea.I'll have to pay a visit to my record store one of these days! Anybody heard it already?Ciao!Willem
PPosted: 12 October 2000Last Updated: 03 November 2000
Anyone out there into their new one -Yes please?What is it they're saying at the end of Robobop?Sex bomb?Going to see em on Nov 5th - cant wait - Carlton is more of a God than Clapton.regards P.
Doug GrahamPosted: 02 November 2000Last Updated: 03 November 2000
Just bought this on mMonday. Decided to give "the oirish" one more chance. This is a very good record. Sound quality is a bit strange(Brian Eno/Lanois) but nevertheless interesting.Go on, get on it.LaterDoug
Jonathan GorsePosted: 02 November 2000Last Updated: 03 November 2000
Went to see the Australian PInk Floyd last night at Guildford Civic and was completely blown away by how good they were.Having seen the real Floyd live twice (Momentary Lapse and Division Bell tours) I can confirm that they sounded very similar...