Hi-Fi Corner

Phil BarryPosted: 08 September 2000Last Updated: 09 September 2000
Which SNAIC is sold with the preamp? If I remember right, the 5-pin - 5 pin is sold with a hicap.Is the 4-pin/4-pin sold with the preamp (through 82) or with the amp?If it comes with the amp, perhaps I am owed a 4-pin SNAIC (though not by ...
Eric BarryPosted: 07 September 2000Last Updated: 08 September 2000
Mike Hanson's Assessment is:Hi-Cap 100% Flat-Cap 40% SNAPS2 (converted to dual-mode) 40% SNAPS 25%I should mention that these ratings assume that you're powering a pre-amp.I know Naim (or at least NANA) have told me they think a FlatCap sounds and...
Simon JenkinsPosted: 03 September 2000Last Updated: 08 September 2000
Well my CD5 finally arrived on friday, and I have to say that I am impressed. Sounds far better at home than it did in the dem.I was surprised how close the sound is to my LP12, really not much difference. It doesn't cope with complicated music as...
Giles FelgatePosted: 07 September 2000Last Updated: 08 September 2000
Dear all (though I suspect mainly Salisbury!),As you may be aware from a previous thread, I have recently acquired some second-hand Naim gear, namely (!) a NAC72, Hi-Cap and a NAP 250. Apart from sounding absolutely fabo, there's one itsy-bitsy...
hobiecatPosted: 04 September 2000Last Updated: 08 September 2000
Hi all guys,for me this is the first post to this new forum.I've a problem with mains and should like to have your advice. The mains wiring in my 9 floors building is 70 (!!!) years old and of course bothcables and connections are horribly degraded. I...
JosephRPosted: 07 September 2000Last Updated: 08 September 2000
Will leaving the Naims on all the time increase my electricity bill a lot ?
JosephRPosted: 07 September 2000Last Updated: 07 September 2000
n/t
Mike HansonPosted: 07 September 2000Last Updated: 07 September 2000
So we've learned that "b a s t a r d" is a banned word on the forum. Since I am one of this ilk (I was adopted) and I don't find it offensive, I thought it would be interesting to find out how the rest of you felt.Okay, what's it going to be?P.S....
Jonathan GorsePosted: 05 September 2000Last Updated: 07 September 2000
With the current lack of activity on the forum I am tempted to quote Pink Floyd from 'The Wall' - I don't want to stir up a hornets nest but it worries me that every time I log on nowadays very little has happened on the forum in the past few hours...
Nic PeelingPosted: 06 September 2000Last Updated: 07 September 2000
Sue and I spent yesterday evening with Neil listening to some A/B comparisons. We had two unsurprising experiences and one extraordinary one.At our house I have bought a 10 year old 52/PS for my Dad. I got it fully warmed up and compared it to a...
John SchmidtPosted: 07 September 2000Last Updated: 07 September 2000
I recently had my ca. 14-year old Hicap and 18-year old 250 recapped. Bargain of the century, in my opinion, for anyone who has older equipment. Elsewhere on the forum, I've read inferences to servicing of preamps. What's involved in this case? From...
Mark DunnPosted: 30 August 2000Last Updated: 07 September 2000
Hi all:As some may remember for the old forum, my mains supply is a piece of poop and I've been on a quest to improve it. Naturally, I did the dedicated spur with dedicated ground and this certainly improved things but in a way it also highlighted the...
JebPosted: 06 September 2000Last Updated: 07 September 2000
Where is it on the Naim site? I can't find it.Jeb
JohnPosted: 06 September 2000Last Updated: 07 September 2000
Has anyone had experience working with CD writers? I purchased one over the weekend and was surprised. I purchased the Backpack latest model. I am not 100% happy with the audio quality. I am loosing elements of the high end and a small element of...
JebPosted: 30 August 2000Last Updated: 06 September 2000
I'm interested in adding a subooofer to my SBLs. Could anyone make any suggestions at $1,000USD.Also, is the best way to do this with a 4 DIN to 2 RCA connector from my HICAP to the Sub.I know the orthodox Naim response will be to get the DBLs or go...
Phil SparksPosted: 25 August 2000Last Updated: 06 September 2000
I've had a walkman pro for about 15 years and haven't used it for a couple of years or so. Whan I last did so it seemed to have a distinct 'whine' so I guess it needs a service. Can anyone recommend anywhere, or does it just go back to Sony? I recall...
Chris MetcalfePosted: 01 August 2000Last Updated: 05 September 2000
Anyone noticed the NAP170 has suddenly become the NAP150?I don't think I saw this mentioned on the old forum. So, more a replacement for the 140 than a 180-competitor?
Phil BarryPosted: 05 September 2000Last Updated: 05 September 2000
Have I missed the following in the complaints about the forum?I have changed my system, and when I went to edit my entry in 'system analysis', the edit was rejected because one can edit only for within 1440 minutes of the original post.Since most...
ken cPosted: 05 September 2000Last Updated: 05 September 2000
Hi Folks,Just a quick note to congratulate Matthew Robinson for such an excellent piece of work with the unofficial naim faq ...enjoy...ken
TheoPosted: 04 September 2000Last Updated: 05 September 2000
During my loudspeakercable queest for my EAR 859 tube amp and Cabasse Sloop speakers i tried several cables in varying price classes:OCOS, Siltech SQ 38, VDH the Wind and Cs122, Harmonic technology pro 11, Audioquest indigo and granite, Nordost Solar...
Todd APosted: 05 September 2000Last Updated: 05 September 2000
After almost 10 weeks, my Nait 5 arrived last Friday, and, well, it was worth the wait. It took until about Sunday evening for it to start to sound really good, and I'm sure I have another day or so of break in, but the improvements over my Arcam...
Joe PetrikPosted: 03 September 2000Last Updated: 05 September 2000
OK, what have I done wrong?I just moved from Canada to the U.S., looking forward to the improvement in performance I might get at my new digs. Unlike my previous room, which had a springy wooden floor, my listening room here has carpet on cement. The...
NaheedPosted: 03 September 2000Last Updated: 03 September 2000
Ok, chaps at what sort of intervals (6 mths ???) should one chop back and re-solder these joints, I am upto nearly 2 yrs now... (is this bad.)naheed...
NaheedPosted: 02 September 2000Last Updated: 03 September 2000
Firstly who said the SBLs are difficult to install !!! They are'nt really it's just the poor sealant applicator you get with it that makes it such a pain, oh and the fact that once their set LEAVE EM ALONE !!!... but apart from that it was fairly...
Phil BarryPosted: 01 September 2000Last Updated: 03 September 2000
I just got a Karma (cartridge) because it was priced right, and because I'm curious about MC carts.In deinstalling my Grado Sonata, I checked out the fit of the ARO's connectors with the Karma's pins. Imagine my shock and surprise when I discovered...